Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

13 Going on 30 (J.Gardner/M.Ruffalo)
    Allied (B.Pitt/Cotillard)
    Awakenings (R.Williams/De Niro)
    Blades of Glory
    The Changeling (G.C.Scott)
    Contract Killer(J.Li)
    Dressed to Kill
    Geostorm
    Gregory's Girl
    The Hateful Eight (K.Russell/J.J.Leigh/S.L.Jackson/Goggins)
    Holy Rollers
    John Wick:Chapter 2
    The Lego Ninjago Movie
    Open Range (Costner/R.Duvall)
    The Pretty One
    The Producers (Thurman)
    Rango
    Risen
    The Slumber Party Massacre
    Tangerine
    War of the Worlds (Cruise/D.Fanning)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle
    Whiplash
    Without Remorse (M.B.Jordan)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    Woman on the Run

Grey's Anatomy - Season 16 (2019)
    Invincible(Amazon Original)(2021) - All Episodes now available

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Scandal (Season 1-7) - 16/5
    The Missing (Season 1-2) - 18/5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I've just started watching this recently as well. Its nice easy viewing :)
    Did *not* recognise Jennifer Grey until the info cards on Amazon told me thats who it was.

I'ts the nose or lack of it

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I would highly recommend This is Us it’s a well written drama over 5 series and it’s so well acted. I’m was riveted from 1st episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Gregory's Girl

ah now that's a blast from the past

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

watched " The sound of metal " last night

one of the best movies ive seen in quite some time , very moving and terrific performances by all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

I would highly recommend This is Us it’s a well written drama over 5 series and it’s so well acted. I’m was riveted from 1st episode.

I adore this show, emotional wreck watching it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Is sound of metal gone - I’m getting not available in your current location?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

paddyb wrote: »
    Is sound of metal gone - I’m getting not available in your current location?

Still there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Just finished all 3 seasons of the marvellous mrs maisel upon recommendation from gmisk.

It’s sadly only 26 episodes . (They’re currently filming season 4 atm)

The show contains razor sharp dialogue with a broad spectrum of differing characters and explores the late 1950’s and early 1960’s family life / working life of a young Jewish mother (and her families lives) as she turns to a new career in comedy stand up.

Btw , it’s not a show I’d say is biased towards the female characters and finds the perfect balance to display both the positives and negatives of the struggles of both genders that were prevalent at this time in New York (and the resettling of society both socially & economically) still reeling after WW2)

The wardrobe for this period tv show must have cost a bomb. It’s very impressive how they recreated New York from clothing , cars , shops , style etc.

Fully recommended if looking to really get engrossed in a tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭dublin49

just finishing 2nd Series Goliath,I am sure its being covered earlier on this Thread but only recently got Amazon.Its very good if you like Billy Bob Thorton as a tortured but brillant Lawyer fighting for the little guy.Well worth a watch.

• Advertisement

dublin49 wrote: »
    just finishing 2nd Series Goliath,I am sure its being covered earlier on this Thread but only recently got Amazon.Its very good if you like Billy Bob Thorton as a tortured but brillant Lawyer fighting for the little guy.Well worth a watch.

I've watched about 6 episodes of S1, haven't got back to it, Billy Bob is great , so is Molly Shannon,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

The 12th Man (Original Title: Den 12. mann)
    After the Dark
    Across the Tracks (B.Pitt)
    All I See Is You
    Anne of Green Gables
    Barefoot (E.R.Wood/Speedman/J.K.Simmons)
    Cooties
    Cyrano de Bergerac
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Erin Brockovich
    The Free World
    Gold (Nesbitt/M(aisie).Williams/K.Condon)
    Honest Thief (L.Neeson)(Amazon Original)(2020)
    I Still See You
    The Joneses
    The Machinist (Bale/J.J.Leigh)
    The Man Who Cheated Himself
    Miss Congeniality
    No Strings Attached
    Once Were Warriors
    Pather Panchali
    Peter Gabriel : Secret World Live
    The Slipper and the Rose
    Rambo
    Safe Haven
    The Social Network
    Spanglish
    Tea with Mussolini
    Vacation

Chicago Fire (Season 1-4)
    Chicago Med (Season 1-4)
    The Underground Railroad (Amazon Original)(2021)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

The Island - 19/5
    Underworld (&Evolution,Rise of the Lycans,Awakening) - 22/5
    Lust, Caution - 23/5
    Grimsby - 24/5
    Unthinkable - 27/5
    A Perfect Getaway - 29/5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Looking forward to seeing Underground Railroad - it's one of my favourite books from the last couple of years so looking forward to seeing how they handle it. Slightly hesitant after the misery of Them but the reviews have been very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Just watched The Dissident.

Absolutely devastating documentary. They show the transcript of the murderers doing the deed, made my stomach turn. Very sad, unfortunately a feeling of hopelessness also seeing as MBS impunity continues to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I happened to find a new Zealand film "Once were warriors" on prime. Saw it a few years ago but worth re visiting.
    Brilliant movie, not an easy watch though, some gritty topics covered.
    Don't know if it is a new addition but I would highly recommend it.

joe40 wrote: »
    I happened to find a new Zealand film "Once were warriors" on prime. Saw it a few years ago but worth re visiting.
    Brilliant movie, not an easy watch though, some gritty topics covered.
    Don't know if it is a new addition but I would highly recommend it.

There's a sequel but it's poor,

What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? https://www.google.com/search?kgmid=/m/0kvbps&hl=en-IE&q=What+Becomes+of+the+Broken+Hearted?+(film)&kgs=2a6d40ad6bbc036c&shndl=0&source=sh/x/kp/osrp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp/osrp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Finally got around to The Sound of Metal and really enjoyed it. Riz Ahmed was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

was looking for "backcountry" last night but couldn't find it. Could have sworn i it was there up until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I noticed that season 2 of the US version of The Bridge went up recently...........but not season 1.
    Way to go Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I finally got around to watching Cold War before my account expired. This was out the same year as Roma, and I'd seen people debate them as their film of the year. I still haven't seen Roma either but Cold War had appealed to me more from the story front.

Set against the backdrop of the 1950s Cold War in Poland, two people of differing backgrounds and temperaments begin an almost impossible romance.

It's brilliantly shot, in black and white & full frame (sorry everyone with big widescreen tvs), and just under 90 minutes which is becoming more and more appealing to me these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 zivanz

9-1-1, Chicago P.D./Fire/Med and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit -- I really recommend you watching them all! I'm not sure if they're all on Amazon Prime, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I noticed that season 2 of the US version of The Bridge went up recently...........but not season 1.
    Way to go Amazon!

I have never felt as cheated by a TV show as I did be season 1 of the US version of the Bridge

Still angers me. B*stards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭flasher0030

deisedude wrote: »
    I have never felt as cheated by a TV show as I did be season 1 of the US version of the Bridge

Still angers me. B*stards

Presume you didn't watch the last series of Games of Thrones so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Presume you didn't watch the last series of Games of Thrones so!!!

I never really got into it. Watched the first 2 seasons and I just wasnt enjoying it.

Having heard the hullabaloo at the end of the series justifies my decision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Chatter has it that Amazon wants to buy MGM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Watched a series called "Accused" from a recent recommendation on here I think. 6 parter with each epsiode standalone. Good solid watch, I enjoyed it. Second series isn't on prime unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Just finished watching Lost and I'd recommend it to anyone to give it a go. I watched it week to week when it originally aired and haven't watched it since but I enjoyed it a lot more on my second watch, binge watching it over the previous few weeks. It's a lot easier remembering a scene from a previous season you watched 2 weeks ago rather than 2 years ago!

I feel like since it's finale Lost's reputation has taken a huge hit and I think it's unjustified. For me it's still up there as one of the best, smartest, groundbreaking shows of all time so if you've never seen it or haven't seen it since it original aired it's definitely worth the investment of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The animated show Invincible is pretty solid 7.5/10. I didnt think I'd be watching cartoons again but some of the Japanese stuff is excellent

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Klonker wrote: »
    Just finished watching Lost and I'd recommend it to anyone to give it a go. I watched it week to week when it originally aired and haven't watched it since but I enjoyed it a lot more on my second watch, binge watching it over the previous few weeks. It's a lot easier remembering a scene from a previous season you watched 2 weeks ago rather than 2 years ago!

I feel like since it's finale Lost's reputation has taken a huge hit and I think it's unjustified. For me it's still up there as one of the best, smartest, groundbreaking shows of all time so if you've never seen it or haven't seen it since it original aired it's definitely worth the investment of your time.

I revisited too recently and was surprised how fast I binged it given how many episodes there is. It has aged very well from a production perspective. All that location, stage and prop work vs how quick shows and movies rush to green screen in things since then to keep costs down. They spent a fortune on this show and made a fortune.

Some episodes and scenes are very creaky, but they would have been at the time too, and some of the accents from guest actors can be awful cringe. Outside of that... I loved re-visiting it. I find it funny that people gave up on the show back in the day when they lost interest when I found from latter half of season 3 things ramp up compared to S1 & 2. S4 & 5 are my favourites. It's one show that didn't suffer with the writers strike, they lowered the episode count in S4 because of it, and squeezed in all the planned plot and the pace really ramps up.

I do find it funny now how characters I would have looked back on fondly are just massive bell ends when you binge it now. Charlie in particular doesn't fare well at all
    and only feels like a likeable character in his final episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I revisited too recently and was surprised how fast I binged it given how many episodes there is. It has aged very well from a production perspective. All that location, stage and prop work vs how quick shows and movies rush to green screen in things since then to keep costs down. They spent a fortune on this show and made a fortune.

Some episodes and scenes are very creaky, but they would have been at the time too, and some of the accents from guest actors can be awful cringe. Outside of that... I loved re-visiting it. I find it funny that people gave up on the show back in the day when they lost interest when I found from latter half of season 3 things ramp up compared to S1 & 2. S4 & 5 are my favourites. It's one show that didn't suffer with the writers strike, they lowered the episode count in S4 because of it, and squeezed in all the planned plot and the pace really ramps up.

I do find it funny now how characters I would have looked back on fondly are just massive bell ends when you binge it now. Charlie in particular doesn't fare well at all
    and only feels like a likeable character in his final episode.

I know people who watched the first few seasons when it original aired and then gave up on it only to return for the final few episodes only to complain it didn't make sense!

The main negative I had about the show was
    when Locke died. I know the actor was still there but he wasn't the character Locke. He was one of the best characters (my favourite to that point and I think a lot of people's) and now our only way of seeing that character was in some flash forwards/back/sideways. I didnt think it was a bad plot or anything, I just think the show missed the character of Locke.

But overall it was such a great show, I kind of feel bad about it now that it no longer gets the recognition it deserves.

Advertisement