Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Core and Stability work

Options
  • 30-04-2021 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭

We are all aware or have been told at some point about how important core and stability work is in the prevention of injuries.

Now of course many of you will have your own variation of these exercise's, of which you may or may not find beneficial.

Most of us will have done some form of a plank, glute bridge, clam shell etc over the years in an attempt to off set imbalances in the hope of reducing injury or to try get more efficient in out gait.

I've attached a few video's to help you get better core engagement and stability and how it relates to how we move on a daily basis.

That's not to say that there isn't a place for tradition isolated strength work.

This might give some of you an idea of my approach of a more "integration of the movement" rather than training a muscle in isolation.

Some of these are clips that I've sent on to client's that I work with to give the a visual and a reference.

I hope some of you find this helpful.

I should also point out that some of these seem very basic, and indeed they are, but I can assure you, they can be very humbling.

If anyone has and question's I'd be only glad to answer,

TIA

youtube.com/watch?v=s4-W-ItCjTI
    youtube.com/watch?v=vOdAH78rvjQ&t=39s
    youtube.com/watch?v=vOdAH78rvjQ&t=64s
    youtube.com/watch?v=XXK349iyupU
    youtube.com/watch?v=_DUMBvtctSM

PS, probably worth pointing out that that I wont win any Oscar for script writing or videography work :p:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Ceepo wrote: »
    We are all aware or have been told at some point about how important core and stability work is in the prevention of injuries.

Now of course many of you will have your own variation of these exercise's, of which you may or may not find beneficial.

Most of us will have done some form of a plank, glute bridge, clam shell etc over the years in an attempt to off set imbalances in the hope of reducing injury or to try get more efficient in out gait.

I've attached a few video's to help you get better core engagement and stability and how it relates to how we move on a daily basis.

That's not to say that there isn't a place for tradition isolated strength work.

This might give some of you an idea of my approach of a more "integration of the movement" rather than training a muscle in isolation.

Some of these are clips that I've sent on to client's that I work with to give the a visual and a reference.

I hope some of you find this helpful.

I should also point out that some of these seem very basic, and indeed they are, but I can assure you, they can be very humbling.

If anyone has and question's I'd be only glad to answer,

TIA

PS, probably worth pointing out that that I wont win any Oscar for script writing or videography work :p:D

Are there any of these I can try to hopefully treat femoral nerve pain in the quadracep. One leg only. Comes on after short run and long walk. Slightly weaker than other side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Are there any of these I can try to hopefully treat femoral nerve pain in the quadracep. One leg only. Comes on after short run and long walk. Slightly weaker than other side

There can be a few reasons for Femoral nerve pain,
    Did you see a GP about it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

If anyone has and question's I'd be only glad to answer

PS, probably worth pointing out that that I wont win any Oscar for script writing or videography work :p

FFS :D

Really appreciate the share, thanks a mill

Mar Azul wrote: »
    FFS :D

Really appreciate the share, thanks a mill

I hope by the ffs comment, that you were some what humbled :)

I find that most people who try the hip stability exercise are amazed at how difficult it is.

Love to hear your view

I hope by the ffs comment, that you were some what humbled :)

I find that most people who try the hip stability exercise are amazed at how difficult it is.

Love to hear your view

Very humbling, first vid way harder than it seems. My whole body kicks inwards on the opposite side.
    Holding on to a wall helps a little. Going to need more practice.

• Advertisement

With the first exercise, would this help with sitting in the bucket or would you suggest sth else?

With the first exercise, would this help with sitting in the bucket or would you suggest sth else?

Hi there and thanks for the question.
    A little embarrassed to say I had to Google the term "sitting in the bucket" as I wasn't familiar with it.
    It would be what I would refer to a Anterior pelvic tilt, and I can see why they call it "sitting in the bucket".

The 1st exercise is primarily a stability exercise, yes there is a small strengthen component to it but mostly in isometric contraction of glute med,
    Training the glute med to stabilise the hip as we go into hip flexion,

If you look at the #4 video "glute and core integration" it would help better to 1, stabilise the hip, 2, engage the core 3, engage the glute to bring the hip into extension.
    I should point out that people with Anterior pelvic tilt will have very tight quad muscles, and I'd always advise to release the quads prior to doing the exercise.
    They're are other exercises that I would probably suggest as well to over come ATP, maybe I will do a video at some point if there is interest.

The videos I've linked are for basic stability and core and aren't aimed at specific issues, but more general, and also to give people on here an idea on how to integrate movement.
    You need to look at these exercises as more retraining the system rather than strength work. That said, all of these can be progressed an load can be add to make the task harder, but only with you're competent in the basics first.

Thanks

Ps, I'll throw up another video on "trunk rotation" in the next few days

Hi there and thanks for the question.
    A little embarrassed to say I had to Google the term "sitting in the bucket" as I wasn't familiar with it.
    It would be what I would refer to a Anterior pelvic tilt, and I can see why they call it "sitting in the bucket".

The 1st exercise is primarily a stability exercise, yes there is a small strengthen component to it but mostly in isometric contraction of glute med,
    Training the glute med to stabilise the hip as we go into hip flexion,

If you look at the #4 video "glute and core integration" it would help better to 1, stabilise the hip, 2, engage the core 3, engage the glute to bring the hip into extension.
    I should point out that people with Anterior pelvic tilt will have very tight quad muscles, and I'd always advise to release the quads prior to doing the exercise.
    They're are other exercises that I would probably suggest as well to over come ATP, maybe I will do a video at some point if there is interest.

The videos I've linked are for basic stability and core and aren't aimed at specific issues, but more general, and also to give people on here an idea on how to integrate movement.
    You need to look at these exercises as more retraining the system rather than strength work. That said, all of these can be progressed an load can be add to make the task harder, but only with you're competent in the basics first.

Thanks

Ps, I'll throw up another video on "trunk rotation" in the next few days

That's brilliant, thanks a mill.
    When you say release the quads before a run, do you mean stretching, foam rolling or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great stuff. I was at the physio for lockdown, getting hips and hamstrings back working. Gave me some great exercises, will bring your first one into the program and watch my plank also.

Is there any good 20 min stretching program that we can do once a day. I say 20 mins, as anymore I won't commit to it, going by previous attempts.

The physio workout is 3 times a week and 20-30 mins, so have committed to that :)

That's brilliant, thanks a mill.
    When you say release the quads before a run, do you mean stretching, foam rolling or other?

Sorry, I'm not really saying to release the quads before you run. More specifically, release the quads before you do the exercises in the video.
    The reason you need to release the quads, is to allow the glutes to do bring the hip onto extensions unrestricted.
    I'm not a fan of stretching tbh, so I would recommend to use a foam roller or similar, and following the these steps,
    1, working on the area approx 3 fingers from the center of the quads out towards the IT band and not on the IT band,
    2, taking a line and starting at the hip bone and working your way downs towards the knee,
    3, stop and stay on and "sore" area, for a period of time until you feel it relax, this can take 2 or 3 mins on each spot,
    4, do both legs.

This type of release work can be do on a daily basis and would benefit everyone. ;)

• Advertisement

Great stuff. I was at the physio for lockdown, getting hips and hamstrings back working. Gave me some great exercises, will bring your first one into the program and watch my plank also.

Is there any good 20 min stretching program that we can do once a day. I say 20 mins, as anymore I won't commit to it, going by previous attempts.

The physio workout is 3 times a week and 20-30 mins, so have committed to that :)

Sorry I don't really, as I'm not a fan of stretching at all, at least in the way most people do stretches.
    Doing something like a static stretch can sometimes give a sense of relief but rarely lasts long.

If you are to do some form of a stretch, then try get the opposite muscle to bring you into that stretch.
    If you take the "core and glute" video as an example, by stabilising the spine and using the glute to extend the hip, you are effectively stretch the quad, but only if you can keep the lumber spine from moving.

If you have any specific areas you need to target, let me know and I'l try get a post up for you.

On your own hip and hamstring issue's, you mentioned "getting them back working" the question is why were they not working.
    On the exercise that you're currently doing are they more strength based work?

I've shared another video below on trunk rotation.
    When we walk or run, we need to rotate. This is not in dispute.
    That rotation will come from somewhere, in some, it can be from the hip' and knee's but ideally it should be from the trunk.
    One of my gait analysis assessments is to see where people are rotating from.
    You would be surprised by the amount of people who struggle with this exercise, some people can't rotate to any side without the movement coming from the hip's, other's may be able to rotate to one side but not the other.
    You can just imaging how inefficient your movement would be, if you couldn't do this simple exercise.

Give it a go and see how you get on. :D

Just remember, this is basic movement and can easily be made more challenging later on

Sorry I don't really, as I'm not a fan of stretching at all, at least in the way most people do stretches.
    Doing something like a static stretch can sometimes give a sense of relief but rarely lasts long.

If you are to do some form of a stretch, then try get the opposite muscle to bring you into that stretch.
    If you take the "core and glute" video as an example, by stabilising the spine and using the glute to extend the hip, you are effectively stretch the quad, but only if you can keep the lumber spine from moving.

If you have any specific areas you need to target, let me know and I'l try get a post up for you.

On your own hip and hamstring issue's, you mentioned "getting them back working" the question is why were they not working.
    On the exercise that you're currently doing are they more strength based work?

Sprained my ankle in sept, got back to running in Nov but dont think ankle was right, so body started to over compensate, core was weak and tore hamstring years ago.

Exercises before I go for run:
    Resistance band above knees and move across the floor,
    8x3 squats.

So hamstring exercises now are:
    One leg bridges up and down
    One leg bridges holding for 30 secs
    Step up on chair with weights in hands.
    Resistance cords on ankle and other end tied to something and so leg curls
    Feet on sliders, bridge position and move sliders in and out in jog motion
    Reverse lunges with weights
    Reverse lunges on sliders but hold the lunge
    Single leg squats.

So this is divided over 2 days.

Sprained my ankle in sept, got back to running in Nov but dont think ankle was right, so body started to over compensate, core was weak and tore hamstring years ago.

Exercises before I go for run:
    Resistance band above knees and move across the floor,
    8x3 squats.

So hamstring exercises now are:
    One leg bridges up and down
    One leg bridges holding for 30 secs
    Step up on chair with weights in hands.
    Resistance cords on ankle and other end tied to something and so leg curls
    Feet on sliders, bridge position and move sliders in and out in jog motion
    Reverse lunges with weights
    Reverse lunges on sliders but hold the lunge
    Single leg squats.

So this is divided over 2 days.

Thanks, most of the exercise seems to be to strengthen the hamstring, were your hamstring weak outside of the hamstring tear a few years ago. Or was it a persistent problem?

Are you doing additional core work as well?

Can I ask why you're doing Resistance band above knees and move across the floor,
    8x3 squats, before you go for a run?

Thanks, most of the exercise seems to be to strengthen the hamstring, were your hamstring weak outside of the hamstring tear a few years ago. Or was it a persistent problem?

Are you doing additional core work as well? P

Can I ask why you're doing Resistance band above knees and move across the floor,
    8x3 squats, before you go for a run?

Dont think it was weak before I tore it. Was a bad year and out for about 6 months. One physio got me to 90% but struggled. Changed physio then and she did dry needling on lower back and hamstring and got me back running.

Current physio is a different one as closer to home.

Dry needling works on me but we tried the approach of building the hamstrings up as strength was weak

Reason for exercises before running was to activate the glutes as they were causing a small issue also.

Other work I do would be leg swings, leg over the hurdle, plank, walk on toes, walk on heal, jumps on two feet and jumps on one foot. I added those in.

Dont think it was weak before I tore it. Was a bad year and out for about 6 months. One physio got me to 90% but struggled. Changed physio then and she did dry needling on lower back and hamstring and got me back running.

Current physio is a different one as closer to home.

Dry needling works on me but we tried the approach of building the hamstrings up as strength was weak

Reason for exercises before running was to activate the glutes as they were causing a small issue also.

Other work I do would be leg swings, leg over the hurdle, plank, walk on toes, walk on heal, jumps on two feet and jumps on one foot. I added those in.

So the strength work is to build up the the hamstring after the tear, yes?

I've often wondered about doing " glute activation work" before running. I just don't see it having any real impact. I would be of the opinion that the glute should be working "all" of the time, each and every step from the time you start walking. If it isn't then you should look to address that issue.
    You would also need to consider that if the glute was weak, and you do so how managed to "kick start" it by doing so activation work you would fatigue it quicker, and possible end up causing more of a compensation movement to over come the glute weakness.

If you consider that the glute is a primary muscle in the gait cycle, then it should not be weak, as we would use it all the time, and if we did infact use it every step then it should have relative strength to carry out the task.
    I don't believe in the idea that adding strength will some how magically make it work.

Just a few of my random thought's :)

So the strength work is to build up the the hamstring after the tear, yes?

I've often wondered about doing " glute activation work" before running. I just don't see it having any real impact. I would be of the opinion that the glute should be working "all" of the time, each and every step from the time you start walking. If it isn't then you should look to address that issue.
    You would also need to consider that if the glute was weak, and you do so how managed to "kick start" it by doing so activation work you would fatigue it quicker, and possible end up causing more of a compensation movement to over come the glute weakness.

If you consider that the glute is a primary muscle in the gait cycle, then it should not be weak, as we would use it all the time, and if we did infact use it every step then it should have relative strength to carry out the task.
    I don't believe in the idea that adding strength will some how magically make it work.

Just a few of my random thought's :)

Good info there. The tear happened 6 years ago, this time it was just hurting but no tear. Just weak.

So far all is going well but no real.speed work yet.

Advertisement