Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway would be great if only they could put a roof over it

Options
  • 07-05-2021 3:27pm

Well someone has taken that idea to heart and made a proposal to the council for exactly that... kinda
    Glass roof over Latin Quarter among raft of proposals to Galway City Council

A proposal to put a roof over the Latin Quarter – with outdoor heaters to combat Galway’s changeable weather – is among a raft of suggestions that will be considered by the Council as it draws up the next City Development Plan.

The widespread use of outdoor theatre and extended opening hours for retail and cultural attractions are also on the cards as members of the public and lobby groups push for a city that offers the broadest range of tourist attractions.

As part of series of measures put forward to improve the outdoor offering in the city, one submission – which is understood to have been noted by the Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath in his report on plan, which is at ‘pre-draft’ stage – is to put a glass ceiling on the city centre’s main commercial thoroughfares.

Planners are currently considering the proposal as part of more than 500 submissions made to Council in the first public consultation for the document, which will shape development in the city for six years after 2023.

Full story - https://connachttribune.ie/glass-roof-over-latin-quarter-among-raft-of-proposals-to-galway-city-council/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭timmyntc

DaCor wrote: »
    Well someone has taken that idea to heart and made a proposal to the council for exactly that... kinda

Surely you could do it with something less expensive and fragile as glass

It would last one night before someone steaming drunk smashes it up.
    Covered canvas or awning type stuff that could be put up over some of the narrower streets like Cross st in Winter/Spring maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Solves the rain problem but not the wind problem. Probably a lot of money for something not really effective. I would love to see quay street/cross street pedestrianised with outdoor seating but realisically, it would only be useable for a few weeks in the spring/summer. In which case, you can just sit in the sun anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Galway obsession with rain is bonkers. I researched the weather before I came here as I work outdoors. They sit outside a lot in Glasgow & in Cardiff - both have more rain than Galway & Glasgow is colder. Areas like Eyre Square, Spanish Arch etc would benefit from permanent covered areas - like canopies.

All the surrounding restaurants & bars could benefit.

If Galway is bad imagine living in Bergen with double Galway's rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Discodog wrote: »
    The Galway obsession with rain is bonkers. I researched the weather before I came here as I work outdoors. They sit outside a lot in Glasgow & in Cardiff - both have more rain than Galway & Glasgow is colder. Areas like Eyre Square, Spanish Arch etc would benefit from permanent covered areas - like canopies.

All the surrounding restaurants & bars could benefit.

If Galway is bad imagine living in Bergen with double Galway's rainfall.
    Irish people in general seem to have an inability to deal with most types of weather. I dunno what's wrong with it. If you see someone in town in appropriate rain gear it's almost definitely a tourist. Meanwhile the Irish are walking around in jeans, a short jacket and looking like a drowned rat.
    Same with the sun. First hint of a bright day and everyone is out in their skimpiest clothing. Even if the temperature is still in single digits. Then if it's really sunny everyone is out there getting burnt to a crisp.
    It says something about us as a society/culture. No idea what, but it says something.

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

I'd love to see a Las Vegas Fremont Street style canopy in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

xckjoo wrote: »
    Irish people in general seem to have an inability to deal with most types of weather. I dunno what's wrong with it. If you see someone in town in appropriate rain gear it's almost definitely a tourist. Meanwhile the Irish are walking around in jeans, a short jacket and looking like a drowned rat.
    Same with the sun. First hint of a bright day and everyone is out in their skimpiest clothing. Even if the temperature is still in single digits. Then if it's really sunny everyone is out there getting burnt to a crisp.
    It says something about us as a society/culture. No idea what, but it says something.

Ah sure there's no harm being an optimist with weather like this. I love how we appreciate every nice day*, strip down, and take lunch outside every chance we get.

* Except when we actually get a run of hot days but you wouldn't dare be caught complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You also really notice it with people working outdoors in thick hoodies saturated in rain. I have heard many say that they are going to get wet anyway. Meanwhile the sensible invest in good breathable work waterproofs.

There's a pub between Spiddal & Inverin so on a busy road, part of the Wild Atlantic Way with land at the back leading to the sea. It could make a fortune. A friend of mine has similar in the UK & is full from April to October doing family barbecues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Anglo Irish Culture - Irish society always looking at what UK are doing rather than bypassing them at looking at other Euro Countrys like Norway, Denmark, Poland.

I think it is changing, but slowly. Been living in Galway City since 1997, it has changed a good bit since then. The idea of drinking outside a cafe/pub back then was truly alien. People moving here from other Countrys are bringing ideas or new ways of doing things. I think we are still a decade or two behind with other Northern European country's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NebraTZ

Humm, Galway's Spanish associations are centuries old, being a port city on the wild Atlantic really made it much more open to continental influence for generations. Arguably the reason it was the national holiday destination of previous generations, before cheap international holiday packages, is that it had a unique culturally diverse feel, even back then. Common language is probably more likely to colour the US and UK influences rather than anything else, sure were less influenced by the Nordics, but to say we just follow UK trends, is a bit much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

To me it seem like Galway is the best town/city in Ireland for outdoor drinking and dining. It is one of the things I like about the city.

Shop street bars and restaurants always seem to have street customers, even in poor weather

• Advertisement
Advertisement