Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed extension of Galway Harbour

Options

Comments

10 years later

https://connachttribune.ie/port-of-galway-welcomes-progress-on-proposed-extension-of-galway-harbour/
    "
    The Port of Galway has welcomed the completion of a Statement of Case by An Bord Pleanála on the Port’s strategic infrastructure application for the proposed extension of Galway Harbour.
    "

where they will get 200 million to do this will be the next hurdle

While I'd love to see the development I don't think they have a snowballs chance of using IROPI as a means of getting it donw. That's going to fail at the first challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭timmyntc

While I'd love to see the development I don't think they have a snowballs chance of using IROPI as a means of getting it donw. That's going to fail at the first challenge.
    It’s also considered that the enhancement of port facilities aligns with the European transportation policy promoting ‘short-sea shipping’ as a cost effective and environmentally sustainable alternative to road transport.

Where would any short-sea shipping be done with Galway as a destination??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

timmyntc wrote: »
    Where would any short-sea shipping be done with Galway as a destination??

Foynes the Tier 1 port :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

10 years later

https://connachttribune.ie/port-of-galway-welcomes-progress-on-proposed-extension-of-galway-harbour/
    "
    The Port of Galway has welcomed the completion of a Statement of Case by An Bord Pleanála on the Port’s strategic infrastructure application for the proposed extension of Galway Harbour.
    "

where they will get 200 million to do this will be the next hurdle

We spent 46 billion on covid so far. 200 million on a landmark transformational development is chump change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We spent 46 billion on covid so far. 200 million on a landmark transformational development is chump change.

A transformational development to achieve what?

What shipping role would Galway harbout play that it does not already?

As far as I'm concerned its 200million down a black hole

• Advertisement

Well the cruise market is one they are definitely going after. Its worth a substantial amount to the local economies where they call regularly. Right now Galway gets (got) a handful of the smaller ships each year. I think they are aiming for the honking great big yokes to call.

However, and this is why the IROPI approach is destined for failure, the port of Galway will never be a major deep water container port and Foynes has that spot filled for the west coast anyway. A parking space for big tourist boats does not meet the needs requirements for IROPI, not by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Cruise ships for tourism is a guess.

It might just fail on the Economic argument, and the access for it. We have a Tier 1 port just down the road which will soon be a complete Motorway and Dual Carriageway trip from Galway City once Adare Bypass is built. A 2hour truck drive at most.
    From Oral Hearing many moons ago- Bitumen imports (Cold Chon) was the main product that was to be shipped and distributed - Cruise Shipping was not a big feature of the Port Usage but made all the splash in local media at that time.

Further news from afloat.ie

Port of Galway Secures EU Habitats Directive Derogation for Harbour Plan
    The Port of Galway has secured consent to provide compensatory habitat in return for its proposed harbour extension.

An Bord Pleanala has confirmed that the development qualifies to be considered under a derogation of the EU Habitats Directive, which allows projects to be built for "Imperative Reasons of Overriding Public Interest". (IROPI).

The port, which is restricted by tide, applied in 2014 for a €126m expansion.

This would involve the reclamation of 24 hectares from the sea bed and extensive development of deepwater berth space.

Bord Pleanála said that certain elements of the proposed development would have a significant adverse impact on Galway bay, with permanent loss of reef, mud and sand habitats in a candidate special area of conservation.

In its submission, the port has offered compensatory habitat which it would restore.

Full story at the link above

Some additional points from the full article
    An Bord Pleanála says it has asked the Minister of Housing, Local Government and Heritage to “consider the adequacy of the compensatory measures proposed by the applicant”.

It has also asked the minister to “advise as to whether there are imperative reasons of overriding public interest to enable consideration of the proposed development to proceed”.

Those last 2 points are important.

Firstly, a Sweetman case a while back blew a massive hole in "compensatory measures" so this entire project could fall down on that element alone.

The second point, they are throwing it back to the Minister to put it in writing, what exactly the "imperative reasons of overriding public interest" are to allow this to be covered by IROPI.

To be perfectly honest, it looks and smells rotten in terms of IROPI and ABP are highlighting that fact.

I really don't see them ever breaking ground with this approach

The second point, they are throwing it back to the Minister to put it in writing, what exactly the "imperative reasons of overriding public interest" are to allow this to be covered by IROPI.

To be perfectly honest, it looks and smells rotten in terms of IROPI and ABP are highlighting that fact.

Only approach I could see - if they designed Port so as to stop Coastal Flooding of the City into the future? Kind of similar to the way the Japanese design there Harbours for tsunami's.

• Advertisement

Some more news on this

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0505/1213879-galway-harbour/

https://twitter.com/OwenHanleyLives/status/1389876803704086534

Main page with all info, don't worry, its very light on details so wont take long to review.

They appear to be sticking with the IROPI route which means this is likely doomed to failure once that reasoning is challenged in court

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Three words: rising sea levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Considering it is a key arterial traffic route through the city........ where does the traffic go? It looks like it’s pedestrianised from the bridge at Lough Atalia to the Spanish Arch!

I know we’ll all be cycling or escooting from a park’n’ride by then, but I’m not sure about that concept drawing.

ratracer wrote: »
    Considering it is a key arterial traffic route through the city........ where does the traffic go? It looks like it’s pedestrianised from the bridge at Lough Atalia to the Spanish Arch!

I know we’ll all be cycling or escooting from a park’n’ride by then, but I’m not sure about that concept drawing.

Its not, just they added trees in the image and they kinda hide the road

Its not, just they added trees in the image and they kinda hide the road

Well spotted, ya a favorite technique of Developers, these trees never get planted. The Bonham Quay brochure had nearly trees growing in the dock itself.
    It is very cynical.

The function of the road will change if all these Developments occur. It has to.
    It wont be a key arterial traffic route any more, it will be a road to service a high density destination in the city itself. Expect changes.

Advertisement