Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a Child seat for bike

• 02-05-2021 6:36pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The little lad is 6 months now and although anything I've looked at suggested 9 months+ for use I'd like to get a good idea of what to get beforehand.

I got a gazelle orange c7+ as my second bike (built for comfort not speed!).

I'm looking at getting a Yepp Maxi Child Bike Seat come August which I hope to get some use of in August but also I plan on using it to pick up from childminder etc.

What are people's experiences with child seats and bikes?
    What would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Cabaal wrote: »
    The little lad is 6 months now and although anything I've looked at suggested 9 months+ for use I'd like to get a good idea of what to get beforehand.

I got a gazelle orange c7+ as my second bike (built for comfort not speed!).

I'm looking at getting a Yepp Maxi Child Bike Seat come August which I hope to get some use of in August but also I plan on using it to pick up from childminder etc.

What are people's experiences with child seats and bikes?
    What would you recommend?

Started using a Hamax Carress with our 18 month old a few months back. Very sturdy and seems comfortable.

I use it on my single speed rigid Mtb with slick tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 osiri

Go for a Bobike mini (or similar) much nicer view and easier to 'chat to them' up the front, and it's a smaller seat so more suitable for them if starting around 9 months. I'd recommend a windshield as well if you're planning on cycling in all conditions or through the winter.
    The downside is they grow out of it a bit sooner but by then you might need a second one anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

osiri wrote: »
    Go for a Bobike mini (or similar) much nicer view and easier to 'chat to them' up the front, and it's a smaller seat so more suitable for them if starting around 9 months. I'd recommend a windshield as well if you're planning on cycling in all conditions or through the winter.
    The downside is they grow out of it a bit sooner but by then you might need a second one anyway!

I had one of those bobike minis and would second this recommendation.

They are more interactive and give a great view from the child's perspective. Having them in between your arms on the handlebars feels reassuring from a parents perspective if this is your first time bringing a child on your bike.
    You should be able to sell it on for a decent price once they grow out of it.
    It will also keep your rear rack available to carry any other bits and bobs.

Once our daughter grew out of the mini one I picked up a second hand CoPilot on adverts for <30 which we still use now nearly 3 years on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The front-mounted seats seem to be suggested more for younger kids it seems, I had been in touch with dutchbikeshop and they had suggested the Thule Yepp Nexxt Mini

I will say I do like the idea of them having the bar to hold onto compared to the Bobike mini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I always preferred the up front seats. Impossible to talk to kids when at the back (traffic/wind noise) in my experience.
    Youngest here is 3 so a good bit older, using a Mac Ride (they pitch at 2-5 years old) and she loves it when we go on longer cycles. Removes from bike in about 30 seconds too so can still use it for my own needs.
    Back to my original point, able to talk about what we see, have a chat and laugh instead of her looking at my arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

I’ve used a Yelp mini for 2 kids from when they were 9 months and find it great. I fully agree with Alan that the kids are happier on the front.

Alan, where did you get the macride? Would it work on a road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Until what age did those front style seats work? Have an 11mth old here that i need to get onto my bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

More for when they are older but we use a shotgun seat with the pedals and handlebars on the mountain bike for our little girl since she was 2 and she absolutely loves it.

hungry4k wrote: »
    I’ve used a Yelp mini for 2 kids from when they were 9 months and find it great. I fully agree with Alan that the kids are happier on the front.

Alan, where did you get the macride? Would it work on a road bike?

Ordered direct from them. Works absolutely fine with road bike. Just need a little bit of room under the stem for their special spacer (can get for 1 or 1 1/8 steerer version). Here’s a photo of it on my bike. Takes less than a minute to take it off if going out for a spin myself

Alanbt wrote: »
    Ordered direct from them. Works absolutely fine with road bike. Just need a little bit of room under the stem for their special spacer (can get for 1 or 1 1/8 steerer version). Here’s a photo of it on my bike. Takes less than a minute to take it of if going out for a spin myself

Photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

Looks great. I’m ordering.

Bam, the Yep front seats are good until about 3

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've been thinking more about what I want this to do and mainly it'll be used for spins on greenway and more so collection from childcare, I'm mindful of the weather wind/cold/rain and I wouldn't be aiming to use it till Aug when he'd been 9/10 months old. So with that in mind I'm leaning more towards a trailer.

I feel this is better bang for buck as I feel I'd I'd end up buying a seat only to have to sell it a few months later and it would be better suited for what I'm looking for as he'd be covered and kept warmer then a seat, I'm not worried about traffic as it'll be used in a small town...

thule-coaster-xt-bicycle-trailer-blue-551754-11-l.jpg

I'm not massively worried about him finding it odd as he's already well used to covering countless miles in a nipper sport running buggy,, with a newborn support he's been in it since two weeks old for walks

5105-13.Jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The big thing about the bike trailer is storage.
    If doing a daily run it will need to stay attached to your bike or you will be losing minutes every morning putting it on and off. It would become a chore.

You would really need a big garage or a canopy/ carport area that it can be stored in, so you can get the kids in quickly and avoid the rain.

You would also want a full waterproof cover for it when out in rain and to be honest I am not sure if you would want your kid in it when it is covered in so much plastic.

If it gets wet it would need to be dried out properly which is hard to do if a garage isn't heated.

I used mine mostly for trips to the playground. I found it especially useful on cold dry winter days as I didn't have to worry about the rain and the kids were very snug in it once they had a blanket on them.

It was great for me to get a bit of exercise in and the kids would often fall asleep in it so you got a bit of peace while cycling away.

I pulled 2 kids in mine and did short sharp hills but I had a triple ring on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Apologies for hijacking this thread to ask a silly question.

Is there a knack to dismounting a bike with a rear child seat so as not to kick the child?!

Looking at seat and bike options at the moment. Mainly rear seats and hybrids, but also interested in more open and step through frames for easier dismounting with the above issue in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

edit: didn't realise OP was so old.

Advertisement