Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

deisedude wrote: »
    Watched The Mauritanian last night. Overall a solid watch but suffers and all too familiar problem for many Hollywood films from the last few years in that it's twenty minutes too long.

The torture scenes are particularly distressing. Jolie Foster and Tahar Rahim deliver very good performances but Benedict Cumberbatch who I do like is horribly miscast.

Watched that a few nights ago. It's really good. I didn't notice any lull or drop of pace. Didn't even know it was over the 2 hour mark until I just looked it up there.

Guy who plays Slahi put in a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Watched that a few nights ago. It's really good. I didn't notice any lull or drop of pace. Didn't even know it was over the 2 hour mark until I just looked it up there.

Guy who plays Slahi put in a great performance.

I could easily see a sequel being made, Amazon need a big franchise to compete with Disney/Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Is "What Drives Us" only on the UK prime video? Not showing on the Irish version

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Is "What Drives Us" only on the UK prime video? Not showing on the Irish version

If its a thing with Dave Grohl it is actually on there.

If its a thing with Dave Grohl it is actually on there.

I checked this morning and it wasn't there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭hold my beer

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I checked this morning and it wasn't there

Just checked and it's on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭pah

Not showing on mine, searched for it in browser and when I clicked on it opened prime video and said not available in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Without remorse....
    I wouldn't really bother very very average.
    Disappointing given cast (who have been good in other films but are horrible here) writers (one is Taylor Sheridan) and clearly a decent budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

gmisk wrote: »
    Without remorse....
    I wouldn't really bother very very average.
    Disappointing given cast (who have been good in other films but are horrible here) writers (one is Taylor Sheridan) and clearly a decent budget.

I'm a fan of leave your brain at the door action flicks but this just streched credulity to the point where the set pieces weren't worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm a fan of leave your brain at the door action flicks but this just streched credulity to the point where the set pieces weren't worth it

I've been watching the Fast & Furious films in order over the last week so I can suspend disbelief with the best of them but this was utter sh1te. I gave up. I hope they all died in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I've been watching the Fast & Furious films in order over the last week so I can suspend disbelief with the best of them but this was utter sh1te. I gave up. I hope they all died in the end.

Jordan kidnaps the neighbours guy from the restaurant, I gave up then

I watched "What Drives Us" tonight, I did enjoy it but made me realise how much I miss going to gigs and concerts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Report (2019) stars Adam Driver & Annette Bening. It tells the story of Daniel Jones, the Senate staffer responsible for the compilation of the Senate Intelligence Committee report on CIA torture.

It seems we fell into a series of 9/11 related films - between Zero Dark Thirty (which gets a feature in the movie), The Mauritanian & this film.

Compared to the foregoing movies, it delves into the background of the CIA's actions, how they were approved, who was behind them etc.

Far from an "entertaining" watch, but definitely a strong film.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The Report (2019) stars Adam Driver & Annette Bening. It tells the story of Daniel Jones, the Senate staffer responsible for the compilation of the Senate Intelligence Committee report on CIA torture.

It seems we fell into a series of 9/11 related films - between Zero Dark Thirty (which gets a feature in the movie), The Mauritanian & this film.

Compared to the foregoing movies, it delves into the background of the CIA's actions, how they were approved, who was behind them etc.

Far from an "entertaining" watch, but definitely a strong film.

Heard a great description of it. Pretty much every anti war film manages to glamorize war to some extent or create entertainment out of horror. The Report avoided that entirely and presented facts, in a very blunt way but effectively imho. Really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Quick Question: Can i record programmes/movies off amazon prime (and other streaming services for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

fryup wrote: »
    Quick Question: Can i record programmes/movies off amazon prime (and other streaming services for that matter)

You can download them on a device, if that’s what you want? I believe that they are only available as long as the program is available on the platform - I.e. if it leaves Amazon then the “recording” is also gone, but this happens on Sky too as far as I know (happy to be corrected!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Don’t know if it’s been discussed on this thread yet but I have finished a binge on a tv show of the decade. It’s called “the boys”
    Amazing series from the outset.
    Think marvel / avengers / DC and make it x rated violence.
    No holds barred of gore , great character development, edge of the seat one more episode viewing.

Very recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

dalyboy wrote: »
    Don’t know if it’s been discussed on this thread yet but I have finished a binge on a tv show of the decade. It’s called “the boys”
    Amazing series from the outset.
    Think marvel / avengers / DC and make it x rated violence.
    No holds barred of gore , great character development, edge of the seat one more episode viewing.

Very recommended
    If you aren't put off by animation......I would really recommend Invincible on Amazon prime it is along the same lines and is cracking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah its the best thing on amazon, such a refreshing twist on the superhero genre

Im currently watching the Marvellous mrs Masel, its the kinda series id usually avoid but im loving it.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yeah its the best thing on amazon, such a refreshing twist on the superhero genre

Im currently watching the Marvellous mrs Masel, its the kinda series id usually avoid but im loving it.

In your opinion is it anything like “the boys” ?
    Character/plot/narrative similar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In your opinion is it anything like “the boys” ?
    Character/plot/narrative similar?
    Nope other than both have comedy elements. Mrs. Maisel is very witty, smart writing - there's no violence other than sharp lines that could cut. She's an upcoming comedian in 1950's New York from a well-to-do household who uses comedy to vent / rant about her life. There's a story arc of her career but there's no villain, no big bad organisation and the cast is smaller. It's more character focused too. Both great shows but Mrs. Maisel is the better one for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Animal Kingdom the series is a bit cr@p, struggling to finish season 1. It’s so lame, it’s like a mix of point break robbers with Baywatch attitudes. Very disappointing especially after such a great Aussie movie that it’s based on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Animal Kingdom the series is a bit cr@p, struggling to finish season 1. It’s so lame, it’s like a mix of point break robbers with Baywatch attitudes. Very disappointing especially after such a great Aussie movie that it’s based on.
    I lasted four episodes and gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

We're really enjoying it, a **** version of Sons of Anarchy:) the characters develop nicely as the show goes on, hopefully prime pick up season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Watched "What Drives Us" after given its mention on here.

I mean its fine if you like some of the talking heads involved Steven Tyler, The Edge, Flea, St Vincent, Lars Ulrich, Ringo, Brian Johnson etc etc.

However the premise appears to be exploring touring out of a van but on that it kinda fails as most interviewed just veer off into general band beginnings and random ramblings which ends up a mixed bag of interesting to not so much.

Was gas to hear our own Dave Fannings voice enter the fray at one point but yeah its basically Dave Grohl chatting to mates in the music business most of which are actually too massive to have endured any sort of extended van touring ever or not in donkeys years so I guess it's no surprise the least known band (Radkey) are most on topic.

gmisk wrote: »
    If you aren't put off by animation......I would really recommend Invincible on Amazon prime it is along the same lines and is cracking

Cheers for that.
    Animation doesn’t put me off.
    One of my fave movies for 2018 was Into the Spider-Verse.
    Will check invincible out

Greyfox wrote: »

I’m 4 episodes in. Great time period being in the 50’s and NY location. The dynamic with the characters is intriguing so far. It’s got a kind of “mad men” vibe to it.
    Will stay with it for the time being

Thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭pah

Watched "What Drives Us" after given its mention on here.

I mean its fine if you like some of the talking heads involved Steven Tyler, The Edge, Flea, St Vincent, Lars Ulrich, Ringo, Brian Johnson etc etc.

However the premise appears to be exploring touring out of a van but on that it kinda fails as most interviewed just veer off into general band beginnings and random ramblings which ends up a mixed bag of interesting to not so much.

Was gas to hear our own Dave Fannings voice enter the fray at one point but yeah its basically Dave Grohl chatting to mates in the music business most of which are actually too massive to have endured any sort of extended van touring ever or not in donkeys years so I guess it's no surprise the least known band (Radkey) are most on topic.

Yeah, love the Foo's and everything Dave Grohl does but this got a bit self indulgent after a while and lost the focus of the "early days in the van" which was initially very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched a few episodes of Red Oaks, 80s set comedy, nothing new but harmless,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Watched a few episodes of Red Oaks, 80s set comedy, nothing new but harmless,

I've just started watching this recently as well. Its nice easy viewing :)
    Did *not* recognise Jennifer Grey until the info cards on Amazon told me thats who it was.

Advertisement