Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virgin mobile e5 for 5 months is back for 1 week.

Options
  • 27-04-2021 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

ignore the adverts of e15 per mnth, 5 for 5 is back for a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

as.eirinn wrote: »
    ignore the adverts of e15 per mnth, 5 for 5 is back for a week.

Brilliant deal as it's unlimited but bear in mind you may not get the 2FA texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

im aware, dual sim so i dont mind ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just to say I've been on Virgin for 3 or 4 years now and the only 2FA texts I haven't received are from PlentyOfFish. Probably a good thing, as that site (and a lot of the women on it) is a cess pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I did order earlier, but cancelled due to the speed restrictions now imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No 2FA and now ridiculous speed limitations, that's an awful service unless you didn't want to use it as a regular phone & data service. They even qualify those speeds as being available at least once in a 24 hour period, not the average speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

An upload/download speed of 10/2.5 Mbps is more than enough for mobile internet.

They only imposed it to stop people tethering multiple devices, which for €5 a month is fair enough in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a max speed, not an average. Mobile internet has moved on a lot from what it was once used for, and it's not more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I did order earlier, but cancelled due to the speed restrictions now imposed.

All networks have that notice to cover themselves, it's to comply with regulations. In practice you'll get better speeds.

2FA is a potential issue though, ideally use a dual SIM phone with a PAYG SIM in the other slot for that purpose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I am with VM since the last €5 deal earlier this year, and have had no issues with 2FA texts.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Signed up anyway. Have a tablet that takes a SIM so would only be used for occasional use. Will give it a go for a fiver anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

cee_jay wrote: »
    I am with VM since the last €5 deal earlier this year, and have had no issues with 2FA texts.

+1

Not sure Boards conventional wisdom has caught up on the 2FA issue

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

I got this last year for a 4G router which I use to work from the holiday home. Worked fine but at times would stop working and would have to reboot the router and was good to go then for another few hours.

What's this limitation of speed? Realistically I only only need about 5-10mb speed to work away this year. Tempted to buy again once the limits won't affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

What's this limitation of speed? Realistically I only only need about 5-10mb speed to work away this year. Tempted to buy again once the limits won't affect me.

It's in relation to this...
    https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/contracts/#Broadband-Speeds-information-is-in-your-contract

...and is practically meaningless. Consumers would benefit from a minimum speed declaration but mobile networks won't/can't give such assurances, hence the pointlessness of the requirement for mobile data services.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

AS1890 wrote: »
    I got this last year for a 4G router which I use to work from the holiday home. Worked fine but at times would stop working and would have to reboot the router and was good to go then for another few hours.

That sounds like an issue with the router.
    If it's causing issues, maybe see if the router can be sorted or needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

tandcapply wrote: »
    That sounds like an issue with the router.
    If it's causing issues, maybe see if the router can be sorted or needs replacing.

I thought that too but got the router replaced by Amazon as the power supply on the first one was faulty same issue. I've upgraded the router this year to a 4G+ one so hopefully won't cause any issues.

Now €10 unlimited everything per month.
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

okidoki987 wrote: »

Beverly in Virgin "customer service" chat tells me after 1hr 30 mins that this offer is not available to existing Virgin Media mobile customers (was on €5 per month and then €25).

Is it easy to cancel this and transfer to another service provider while keeping my phone number?

We have 3 accounts to cancel

rco2000 wrote: »
    Beverly in Virgin "customer service" chat tells me after 1hr 30 mins that this offer is not available to existing Virgin Media mobile customers (was on €5 per month and then €25).

Is it easy to cancel this and transfer to another service provider while keeping my phone number?

We have 3 accounts to cancel

1hr 30 mins :0

I did it every 6 months when my 6 month offer at €5 was up.
    I just said I wanted to cancel as it was going to be too dear at €25 and always got offered their current offer at the time.
    You are on a 30 day contract so you can cancel anytime, it might cost you the €25 if renewed but that's it.
    Porting your number is dead easy, just go to whoever you want to transfer to and they will do it for you.
    I would go back and say you will be transferring all 3 numbers to 48, Gomo or Vodafone €10 offer and see what they say then.
    You could go to another provider and then transfer back to Virgin if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

1hr 30 mins :0

I did it every 6 months when my 6 month offer at €5 was up.
    I just said I wanted to cancel as it was going to be too dear at €25 and always got offered their current offer at the time.
    You are on a 30 day contract so you can cancel anytime, it might cost you the €25 if renewed but that's it.
    Porting your number is dead easy, just go to whoever you want to transfer to and they will do it for you.
    I would go back and say you will be transferring all 3 numbers to 48, Gomo or Vodafone €10 offer and see what they say then.
    You could go to another provider and then transfer back to Virgin if you wanted.

Thanks for that.

Had you to call them or webchat to them when cancelling or just went to the other operator and they did the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

I have to say I am very happy with this deal. I got a virgin sim about six weeks ago when they had the 5e/6 months deal. No probs with 2FA - no probs with speed. Previous issues I had with Tesco mobile are no longer a problem with Virgin media, both on the 3 network.
    No problem asking for a second SIM on the new 5e/5months deal either. Couldn't manage to sign up online so did it over the phone. So I am now running two virgin SIMs with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭maddog1983

yes but 80gb per month fair usage what happens when you go over id imagine that bill will climb up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Anyone know the cost to call Europe or if it's included?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Anyone know the cost to call Europe or if it's included?

Calls to Europe not included - but you can buy and add on for 5euro/month that gives you 350 minutes of calls/month to USA Canada and Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Did they really cap the speed at 10 down and 2.5 up?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

maddog1983 wrote: »
    yes but 80gb per month fair usage what happens when you go over id imagine that bill will climb up!!

When I had it, I was over 80GB a month and it just got slightly slower but didn't even notice it tbh.
    There was no extra charge for me.

rco2000 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Had you to call them or webchat to them when cancelling or just went to the other operator and they did the rest?

You just port it over to another provider, don't have to talk to Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

My wife is having massive problems trying to port over from Three for the €10 a month deal. Got her SIM early last week and did the online porting but it seems to have only half gone through. Her Three SIM is still active for outgoing calls but won't receive incoming calls or text messages (not ideal while she is awaiting a vaccine text from Holles Street!).

She has contacted Three customer service every day since last Tuesday and keeps being told it has been escalated and will be resolved within 24 hours. Just wondering has anyone else ever had this type of problem and how to go about getting it resolved?

Advertisement