Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cheepah wrote: »
    I feel like an important detail I've left out here is that I've got muscular dystrophy, so my muscle density and weight has never been great. So i was mainly looking at 125s to start out with, get my bearings with riding and such on something overly easy to ride, and work up from there to see what I can realistically handle, and if dropped, I'd be able to physically pick back up. I was up at m50 Honda looking between the duke 390 and 125. But I didn't feel overly comfortable handling the 390, along with not getting quotes back on it, is what lead me to the 125. Sorry bit of confusion there, I've not got the bike yet, I've a deposit down on it, was planning on paying the rest off first week of May. In all likelihood I probably will end up moving on from the 125 within a year or two, but my thought process has been more so on getting something I can physically work with, and then moving from there, rather than buying something that I just physically couldn't work with, and then being too anxious or disheartened to go out on it.

My point was more about doing the IBT before buying a bike. And I don't think buying new for a first bike is a good call, dropping it etc aside, it's your first bike, not your last, you'll be selling it before you know it and it'll lose 1k in value once it's passed the dealers gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

zubair wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought you said you had the bike already. Man, at 22 you already qualify for the A2, you'll be looking to get shot of the 125 in no time, like a month. I'd steer you away from dumping that money on your first bike, especially one that's a lower category than you qualify for. Trust me, youll be looking to sell it soon. Not wanting to push this too much but I'd encourage you to reconsider your plans... don't buy that bike, instead do the theory, get your permit and do the IBT, then see what your thoughts are.

100% agree with this, get an A2 bike

Anyone hearing anything about tests opening up at the minute. I heard the dun laoghaire sent out a batch of test times last month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

sm3ar wrote: »
    Anyone hearing anything about tests opening up at the minute. I heard the dun laoghaire sent out a batch of test times last month

They sent out a batch Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

What would you say is the pass rate on bike test?

Is it considered hard to pass?

• Advertisement

They sent out a batch Friday morning.

For which test centre was that?

For which test centre was that?

Dun Laoighre

Dun Laoighre

Never got the mail

Dun Laoighre

Had you registered as "essential"?

Had you registered as "essential"?

Yes, I am deemed essential

• Advertisement

Anyone know are they actually asking for "proof" that you are essential worker when going for test these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone know are they actually asking for "proof" that you are essential worker when going for test these days?

Yes, they looked for paperwork from a friend of mine before starting his test.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yes, they looked for paperwork from a friend of mine before starting his test.

Something from HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a letter from my MD. It also gives his personal phone number so that my status can be verified. I've been stopped at various checkpoints and at one they actually rang him to confirm...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a letter from my MD. It also gives his personal phone number so that my status can be verified. I've been stopped at various checkpoints and at one they actually rang him to confirm...

Christ

Also is there any info on if they will extend the permit expirys because of all of this because mine expires in a few months and if I don't get called for the test then what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Also is there any info on if they will extend the permit expirys because of all of this because mine expires in a few months and if I don't get called for the test then what happens

There's a calculator thing on the rsa website somewhere that will tell you the new expiry. If not and you're going for your third or subsequent permit show proof of a booked test you'll be grand.

Any bike instructors in Tullamore?

Not for IBT just pre test lesson.

None showing on RSA website but I’m sure I see a lad going around at times.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Then you have to fork out the few quid to renew, like everyone else.

9 months waiting for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Yes, I am deemed essential

Have you got a date yet? I know of a lad, a teacher who has a test coming up in the next few weeks. He's his pretest with Eric Dalton tmrw.
    If you are classed as essential and are still waiting then I'd suggest making sure you flagged yourself as urgent/essential. When I applied at the beginning of March i was given a range of test dates and locations the next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Any bike instructors in Tullamore?

Not for IBT just pre test lesson.

None showing on RSA website but I’m sure I see a lad going around at times.

Thanks

Not sure if they still do it but Hynes school of motoring use to work between Mullingar and tullamore. I did pre test with him and passed so I would recommend.

Not sure if they still do it but Hynes school of motoring use to work between Mullingar and tullamore. I did pre test with him and passed so I would recommend.

Hynes not doing it any more but thanks for reply

Have you got a date yet? I know of a lad, a teacher who has a test coming up in the next few weeks. He's his pretest with Eric Dalton tmrw.
    If you are classed as essential and are still waiting then I'd suggest making sure you flagged yourself as urgent/essential. When I applied at the beginning of March i was given a range of test dates and locations the next day

Yep I have a date

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Anyone know if JP Motorcycles off Pearse St Dublin still operating?
    They've no bikes on donedeal and not answering their phone last couple of days.

Who's next for the lucky yellow vest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Does it come with a set of working earphones? :P

(well done, ye bollix)

Well done Jimmy. Don’t mind the bottle lad!!

I’ll take a lucky vest if it’s going :)

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I’ll take a lucky vest if it’s going :)

You can have two!! PM me your address and I’ll send mine as well

• Advertisement

You can have two!! PM me your address and I’ll send mine as well

No point sending both to the one person!

You sort out this one and I'll send mine to the next taker.

Mine has been through a few boardsies now.

Advertisement