Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appealing planning enforcement's - WINWIN

• 05-05-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Just wondering, is it usually the case that (in reality) all planning enforcement's can, one way or the other, eventually be overcome? :eek:

so, if a developer wants to build something that they know they wont get planning for, (maybe not a SkyScraper or the likes, but in the line of industrial sheds etc), then if they just build it anyway, and apologise after (retention, plant a few trees or whatever), they will eventually , one way or the other , get what they want, regardless of neighbours complaints etc. (provided they are willing to pay some legal costs along the way that is)
    I know lots of cases locally where this has applied, but take these pair, for example. Still living in the house i believe!!:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/supreme-court/couple-given-one-year-to-demolish-house-built-without-permission-1.3089521

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mammyod wrote: »
    Just wondering, is it usually the case that (in reality) all planning enforcement's can, one way or the other, eventually be overcome? :eek:

so, if a developer wants to build something that they know they wont get planning for, (maybe not a SkyScraper or the likes, but in the line of industrial sheds etc), then if they just build it anyway, and apologise after (retention, plant a few trees or whatever), they will eventually , one way or the other , get what they want, regardless of neighbours complaints etc. (provided they are willing to pay some legal costs along the way that is)
    I know lots of cases locally where this has applied, but take these pair, for example. Still living in the house i believe!!:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/supreme-court/couple-given-one-year-to-demolish-house-built-without-permission-1.3089521

They have to leave the house by September 2022, after which time it'll be demolished.

In most cases of retention permission, the council will impose conditions in a grant of retention permission to counter any issues the development causes to neighbouring properties etc (which they would have conditioned or sought further information or change of design in the case of planning being sought prior to construction). The developer then has to comply with those conditions. So in the vast majority of cases, what ends up being retained is what would have been granted permission had permission been sought at the time anyway, or near enough that it doesn't have a discernible adverse effect on other people's properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mammyod

Penn wrote: »
    They have to leave the house by September 2022, after which time it'll be demolished.

In most cases of retention permission, the council will impose conditions in a grant of retention permission to counter any issues the development causes to neighbouring properties etc (which they would have conditioned or sought further information or change of design in the case of planning being sought prior to construction). The developer then has to comply with those conditions. So in the vast majority of cases, what ends up being retained is what would have been granted permission had permission been sought at the time anyway, or near enough that it doesn't have a discernible adverse effect on other people's properties.

well if that is the case, then great, and I hope so. :(

But I do know of massive house extensions done without planning, and put in for retention. resulted in a few minor alterations to be carried out , and a few trees to hide it. would not have got planning if applied in the first case.

Advertisement