Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish sitcoms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

ShyMets wrote: »
    And lets not forget Ardal O'Hanlon in the BBC sitcom, My Hero. Absolute scutter.

This ran for - if you can credit it - six seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone remember "Perfect Scoundrels" with David Murray and Peter Bowles?

I assume you mean Bryan Murray but yeah shame it never got a DVD releaese.

Pilot was very clever with Irish angle
    https://youtu.be/PgiBK7fRoQs

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I assume you mean Bryan Murray but yeah shame it never got a DVD releaese.

Pilot was very clever with Irish angle
    https://youtu.be/PgiBK7fRoQs

How did it NOT get a DVD release? It was a great, and coming off the back to the film "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with Steve Martin and Michael Caine. Didnt we all enjoy the TV series Hustle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

How did it NOT get a DVD release? It was a great, and coming off the back to the film "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with Steve Martin and Michael Caine. Didnt we all enjoy the TV series Hustle?

It's a TVS production.
    There's complex legal problems involving missing paperwork, the Disney corporation and possibly missing tapes too.

It's a TVS production.
    There's complex legal problems involving missing paperwork, the Disney corporation and possibly missing tapes too.

Explains everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Good call on 'The End'.
    This made me think of Sean Moncrieff and 'Don't feed the Gondolas' (sorry if it was already mentioned) - a late 90's panels show featuring a chubby Brendan O Connor and Dara O Brian. Like most RTE comedy it was kind of all over the place.

It's a TVS production.

Found it on Amazon on VHS. So it was released at some point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Scoundrels-VHS-Peter-Bowles/dp/B00004CQF2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Perfect+Scoundrels+VHS&qid=1605486788&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This ran for - if you can credit it - six seasons.

He left a few seasons in, was replaced by the guy from Gimme,Gimme,Gimme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Rhythmics wrote: »
    Fergus's Wedding
    Roose Bolton and his fiancee preparing for their wedding with the local priest, while trying to hide the fact that they're swingers.

Episode 1 and 2 are have been uploaded on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This made me think of Sean Moncrieff and 'Don't feed the Gondolas' (sorry if it was already mentioned) - a late 90's panels show featuring a chubby Brendan O Connor and Dara O Brian. Like most RTE comedy it was kind of all over the place.

Best thing about it was the back story to the title.

• Advertisement

Episode 1 and 2 are have been uploaded on YouTube

I got the DVD on ebay last Christmas. Expensive but well worth the money. Soup!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Does anyone here remember Stew from approximately 16 years ago on RTE2? It was a comedy sketch show as opposed to a sitcom. It featured Pat "Eoin McLove" McDonnell.
    Some of the sketches were really hit and miss such as the farmer woman who thought her cows were leering at her and the posh guy reminiscing about pleasant past events whenever he stumbled upon vomit or dog turds on the pavement.
    I think it lasted about 2 seasons before the plug was pulled on it.

Also there was Your Bad Self from approx 2010, another comedy sketch show with Michael McElhatton and Domhnaill Gleeson. I remember the South African Lady sketches which made very little sense.

There was a good sketch where Gleeson is on a road trip with BOD's wife and their D4 friends when he decides for a laugh to go to the toilet in a bottle after they dare him to. Except he takes a sh*t in it.

Did anyone see Dermot Morgan series "Getting Morganised" when it was broadcast in 1985? Opening credits and short snippets shown in an RTE doc about him. I say series but apparently RTE wernt happy with it and cut it down to one longish episode and it was just shown once.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

leave it to mr's o'brien - bad

extra extra extra - jaw droppingly bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

There was a good sketch where Gleeson is on a road trip with BOD's wife and their D4 friends when he decides for a laugh to go to the toilet in a bottle after they dare him to. Except he takes a sh*t in it.

Sounds like something the denizens of the After Hours “scat” thread would “appreciate”.

fryup wrote: »

extra extra extra - jaw droppingly bad

Extra Extra was in a whole league of it's own. Definitely a strong contender for worst thing RTE have ever produced and its had some strong competition in the nearly thirty years since it was shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Extra Extra was in a whole league of it's own. Definitely a strong contender for worst thing RTE have ever produced and its had some strong competition in the nearly thirty years since it was shown.

I didn't watch it at the time but I remember the reviews being scathing. I've tried to find some clips on the internet but there doesn't seem to be any.

Looks like RTE have tried erase all trace of it

Pat Shortt and Eamon Owens in the Fitz. Couldn't find any visual references when posting about this originally but came across this since.

the-fitz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Pat Shortt and Eamon Owens in the Fitz. Couldn't find any visual references when posting about this originally but came across this since.

the-fitz.jpg

Fair play for digging that one out. I've absolutely no recollection of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

the-fitz.jpg

Is that the BBC thing with the old man from Fair City?

• Advertisement

Is that the BBC thing with the old man from Fair City?

Eamon Morrissey? Yeah he was in it. Great comic actor. He was wasted in this rubbish, and Fair City for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A few sixties RTE comedy programmes (I don't remember them either and I don't think any have been preserved)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Has Val Falvey TD been mentioned yet? It starred Ardal O'Hanlon as a rural TD with a caravan for a constituency office and Owen Roe as his PR adviser. I think it lasted just the one season before it was canned.

Has Val Falvey TD been mentioned yet? It starred Ardal O'Hanlon as a rural TD with a caravan for a constituency office and Owen Roe as his PR adviser. I think it lasted just the one season before it was canned.

Was mentioned early on. It was very poor despite writer and cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Upwardly Mobile

it should remain forgotten
    El Tarangu wrote: »
    When the actor playing the little chubby fellow died, he was given a full paramilitary funeral - it turns out he was a member of the Real IRA.

and iirc, he died in bizarre circumstances....he got into a heated argument at a taxi rank, he went away to get a sword from his flat and when he returned to the taxi rank to confront the person he had a heart attack and died instantly...what a way to go!

BBC's Safe And Sound from 1996 set in NI. Never saw this one but it sounds terrible despite the cast.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-terrible-sitcom-is-born-1.75823

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fryup wrote: »
    It was exported to Nigeria IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

was there an irish one about a family that one the lotto. song in my head about "blah blah won lotto, so we are off to Malahide"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

was there an irish one about a family that one the lotto. song in my head about "blah blah won lotto, so we are off to Malahide"

It sounds like Upwardly Mobile, but they moved Northside to Southside, D4 or somewhere similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

Dear old inner city Du-ub-lin, the town i loved so dear, but we're after winning 2 million quid now we're off to Belvedere

Advertisement