Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best oven chips in retail?

Options
  • 04-05-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭

Right, my query is not about a foodie ingredient perhaps, but none the less, who doesn't love a good chip... so fellow boards foodies, what are the best oven chips in retail? (SV/TS/DS/LIDL/ALDI/M&S)
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I bet you'll get an avalanche of votes for the Skin-On fries in Aldi!!

They're about the best I've tried, not that I'm a connoisseur - closely followed by the beef dripping fries, also in Aldi, which i only tried for the first time recently.

Best of all, but waaaay more expensive, are the skinny frites from M&S

Also, in before the "buy a spud, cut it up, bung in oven" crowd. But they're not wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

Aldi skin on fries are up there .

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Proper chips by strong roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Aldi triple cooked beef dripping chips.....amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Always find there to be a strange taste from aldi oven chips. We like the tesco own steakhouse oven chips done in the airfrier

• Advertisement

Also important imo what type of oven they are cooked in

e.g. much better (and quicker) in a Philips airfryer or similar compared to a normal fan or gas oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Also, in before the "buy a spud, cut it up, bung in oven" crowd. But they're not wrong!!

No! Deep fry the cut-up spuds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Cmon people, not again, keep the chips out of the air fryer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

M&S Triple Cooked frozen

Drawback is the size of the portion - barely enough for 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

If you have an Iceland nearby, try
    https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-ridiculously-crispy-skin-on-french-fries.-1.2kg/76876.html
    They're great :)

Although they call them French Fries, they're nothing like MacD's, and just the size of chip I'd cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gmisk wrote: »

Only just tried these out at the weekend. Hands down the best for the air-fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

CWF wrote: »
    Proper chips by strong roots.

Agree - these are lovely, thick fluffy chips, great even in teh oven. Pricey though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Another recommendation for Proper chips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Both Aldi and Lidl skin on skinny chips are fab. I think the Lidl ones win out as they come out very crispy.

Aldi specially selected crinkle chips are another favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I think the 89c Lidl frozen oven chips are quite good. Excellent value also....

Both the Aldi skin-on overrated and M&S fresh chips are nothing to write home about. (I did not buy the M&S frozen chips nor the Lard M&S Chips).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

gmisk wrote: »

Yep I love those.

Also, McCain triple cooked gastro chips are pretty nice (surprisingly enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

markest wrote: »
    Another recommendation for Proper chips

Where to get these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks folks - i like the sounds of the skin on variants from LIDL/ALDI.. but are they skinny? I don't want skinny..

sporina wrote: »
    thanks folks - i like the sounds of the skin on variants from LIDL/ALDI.. but are they skinny? I don't want skinny..

The skin on one's are skinny.

The beef dripping ones are the usual thick cut ones, and are at least as nice (my jury is still out!)

The skin on one's are skinny.

The beef dripping ones are the usual thick cut ones, and are at least as nice (my jury is still out!)

oh ok thanks -

will check out the BD ones - from ALDI yeah?

• Advertisement

oh ok thanks -

will check out the BD ones - from ALDI yeah?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

Not McDonalds skinny, but not chunky.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

McCains have very tasty skin on chips. Pricey though

Chunkyish in size

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/frozen-foods-chips-mccain-rustic-oven-1-kilogram-/p-1010282000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Aldi skin-ons are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If you din’t like skinny but like fluffy DEFO tey the Dunnes OWN BRAND WEDGES - REALLY good. I like their chili ones - but they need sweet chili dip to make them in any way chili flavoured!

I’m a big fan of boiled baby potatoes in their own skins quartered and stir fried with garlic and chili and the white bits of scallions in a big wok with sesamae oil. YUUUUUUUM

siblers wrote: »
    McCains have very tasty skin on chips. Pricey though

Chunkyish in size

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/frozen-foods-chips-mccain-rustic-oven-1-kilogram-/p-1010282000

are they nice? last time I had McCain's was years ago but I rem them being awful

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Maris piper dunnes stores.....delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

are they nice? last time I had McCain's was years ago but I rem them being awful

This particular type are (in my opinion) it's just potatoes and sunflower oil but I guess it depends how you like your chips, I prefer ones with just the minimum amount of ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

That's me...

Cut enough for two (I recommend med thickness Golden Wonders w skin on), microwave for two of the "potato" setting, dry with kitchen roll, lob onto greaseproof paper and drizzle 2tbsp sunflower oil over. Lamp em in for eight minutes, flip em all with a spatula and then leave them for a further ten minutes, adding oil and shaking the tray as needed.

Costs about 50c for the portion of chips as opposed to the €2 it costs if you buy them in a bag. Also much more delicious and probably less bad for you than the frozen ones, plus it's slightly more hassle so you're less likely to eat as many chips :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I have attempted to recreate the Italian-chipper style chip in an air fryer with surprisingly not-bad results.

(1) Cut up some Maris Pipers to uniform thumb sized chips. Coat with oil.
    (2) Heat the air fryer to only 180 degrees and not the usual 200 setting for chips. We're not making crispy fries here.
    (3) Times might vary depending on the number of chips, thickness etc., but somewhere around 20 minutes should be enough to get a pale, not too crispy, edible chip. But don't eat just yet.
    (4) Now remove the basket of chips and cover with a doubled up tea towel and let cool. They maintain their moistness in their own steam and will not dry out. This is a 2-stage process, like double frying.
    (5) Once cooled to the point of being slightly warm but too cold to serve, re-heat in the air fryer at 180, to get them warm enough to server , 5 mins approx.
    (6) Dose in salt n' vinegar. Enjoy!

Advertisement