Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wreckfest

• 27-08-2019 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Anyone taken on punt on this yet? Looks fun. I loved Destruction Derby back in the day. Downloaded it a few months back however and it does not stand the test of time...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Destruction Derby has aged awful but the sequels are excellent and this looks to be a really good modern reimagining.

I'll pick it up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

dohboy wrote: »
    Anyone taken on punt on this yet? Looks fun. I loved Destruction Derby back in the day. Downloaded it a few months back however and it does not stand the test of time...

Have it on PC, good craic short shelf life in terms of it's just great for picking up and playing on own or with friends.
    But playing consistent it ain't that type of game. Just good old distruction release.

I bought it on alpha, when around at that time it was rough, was great that the pc 1.0 relaese was solid. Such a huge makeover since that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I was never into destruction derby, i was more of a twisted metal and vigilante 8 kinda guy..

In saying that, im surprised they havent tried making a new twisted metal in recent years :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Destruction Derby has aged awful but the sequels are excellent and this looks to be a really good modern reimagining.

In hindsight - and looking at some old YouTube footage - I played a lot more DD2, which looks like it holds up a lot better than the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The original was pretty much a tech demo for the PS1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, DD2 was the first game I owned on the PS1, came with it, and absolutely loved it. If Platinum was a thing back then, I would have got it.

Picked this up yesterday, had a blast on a few of the levels, and it's so much fun. The graphics are stunning along with the damage, dents are realistic, but once your car gets rightly messed up you're left wondering how you're still going. Granted, I don't have realistic damage on, must try that. Tracks are grand so far, but I'm still early days so slower cars and smaller tracks. Had a few goes of the destruction derby and it's good fun. I'd imagine all this will get better with the faster/stronger cars.

Adding armor increases weight so while it offers more protection it affects performance. Good few different modes, had a go of the sofa race and it was great craic! Looking forward to the other modes.

The only complaints I have so far are the loading times and the car purchasing layout. The loading can take up to 90 seconds, and is a bit jarring. I can understand why it takes so long, and we're not used to it in the current gen, but I'm sure it'll improve with time. But the car purchasing is annoying. It takes a few seconds to load each car and it's stats, I don't think you can compare, and you can't filter by type or country, which makes it a pain to look for specific cars as you've to load each one to see what area they are, for the area specific races (US, Euro, Japanese). Again, I'm sure it'll improve with time.

Didn't try any multiplayer, saving that for when I've the campaign finished, and it looks like there's a good bit to do.

So far, I'm impressed with the look and feel, it does remind me of DD2, so i'm sure it'll only get better. It might be a bit slow for people starting off, but I can see it getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Laviski wrote: »
    Have it on PC, good craic short shelf life in terms of it's just great for picking up and playing on own or with friends.
    But playing consistent it ain't that type of game. Just good old distruction release.

I bought it on alpha, when around at that time it was rough, was great that the pc 1.0 relaese was solid. Such a huge makeover since that time.

Id agree with this,great fun but not got a huge amount of legs in it. Unless you got majorly into online and enjoy the competitive side of it which could stretch it out.

Im totally ok with that though,got it reasonably cheap on PC and im totally happy with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It has a very short playtime and imo think their other games were better (Flatout equal cars for everyone).

We had a server running other maps (the early access maps were in shot supply).

I hope the release added some better maps and fixed the levelling up issue.

So, a few days into playing this and I genuinely love it. It reminds me of DD2 but with modern graphics and physics. The damage modelling is simply amazing, tipping off someone will leave a ding, horsing off them will send them flying. The only unrealistic part I've encountered so far (not taking into account the sofa/combine derbys) are when your car is a hit or two away from being 'wasted'. You genuinely wonder how it's still going, but I'm sure that's there to make it more playable. There is a realistic damage option, which I'm sure would result in quicker 'deaths'.

The tracks are, so far, different to each other, and there's a lot of emphasis on winning the races, rather than causing mayhem, again save for the derbys. Speaking of, the derbys are literally won by last man standing, so it doesn't usually matter how many you take out. This can be easily done by driving around the outside of the maps until you see the contact timer, hit someone, repeat until most others are nearly dead, then go hell for leather. I'd imagine this won't last on the harder levels/difficulties. But each race has side missions to complete, which can range from winning the race, placing in the top 3, causing x amount of damage, causing x spin outs, etc. Adds a little extra layer.

There are a few things to be ironed out though. The loading is not as bad as some are making it out, so maybe the Day 1 or subsequent patches sorted that, but still about 30 seconds to load up a race, which from a technical standpoint is perfectly ok with me. Also, the market for car selection needs an overhaul. Some races are specific to cars from certain regions or classes, but you can't filter them by region/class, and each car takes about 2-5 seconds to load, including the stats, so makes selecting a new specific car a pain.

Other than that, it's a perfectly playable game and is one of the better DD type games in recent years. I'm sure it'll improve further.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Really enjoying this. No nonsense, pick-up-and-play racing, with lots of thrills and spills. Good level of depth in career mode, and the AI racers are aggressive and wild.

• Advertisement

Further update:

Changing out the HDD for an SSD has sped up the load times by about 30% I reckon. Not sure if that's worth if it your HDD is behaving, but I think it is!

Game started to slog about half way into the 3rd series, but once you get into the 4th it starts to open up again and the faster, harder cars get involved. Still a great game imo, definitely giving me flashbacks of DD2 on the PS1, albeit prettier, even though my rose tinted glasses still believe DD2 looked realistic!

Haven't even tried online yet, too many games on the go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

On sale on Humble Store too. I've had it a while but convinced some mates to pick it up. It's soooo good online. It's a real shot in the arm after some tense online games from other genres. This is jsut mindless fun (most of the time :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

When local-coop? :(

I've tried a few online races, but lots of people quitting after getting hit. Some people seem to think this is a normal racing game, whereas the idea is to win while horsing everyone else out of it!

@Taylor365, don't think they're going to introduce that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, now this is on PS Plus from today for PS5, will we try get a private lobby for racing/ destruction derby going? Do you need to do any of the career first before you go online or is it completely separate?

You can set up a Private Server. 10 minutes to invite 7 players before it shuts down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just read that PS5 can have 25 in a lobby. Also, only ps plus members get the PS5 version from today. Everyone else needs to wait until 1st of June to buy or upgrade the next gen version.

I'd be up for it, but only if all the cars are the same. There are some pay to win cars there, and any MP game I've ever tried the people who paid are usually always miles ahead.

Right, so apparantly the PS5 version is completely separate to the PS4 version as I have no trophy progress and nothing unlocked in game. Guess I'm just gonna have to play it all again.

Initial impressions are very positive. Load times are crazy quick in comparison, very smooth gameplay. They've decided to put some collision audio through the DualSense, so I'll be turning that off. Some rumble but nothing more noticable than the PS4 version. Overall, for free, it's a good upgrade, and I get to do all the SP stuff again so yay!

But it's making my PS5 whine. Very noticable in menus, silent during loading screens, and noticable again in menu's pre-race. The whine changes depending on what I'm doing, so it whines a certain way when changing between cars, and then has a constant similar whine when just on cars without doing anything. I had put this whine out as normal and only I could hear it, but I don't think I've heard it this loud. I would completely accept if someone opened it up and showed me where a sticker or something is causing it, but I don't think it is. Could be fan related, could be coil. I'm not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Right, so apparantly the PS5 version is completely separate to the PS4 version as I have no trophy progress and nothing unlocked in game. Guess I'm just gonna have to play it all again.

Initial impressions are very positive. Load times are crazy quick in comparison, very smooth gameplay. They've decided to put some collision audio through the DualSense, so I'll be turning that off. Some rumble but nothing more noticable than the PS4 version. Overall, for free, it's a good upgrade, and I get to do all the SP stuff again so yay!

But it's making my PS5 whine. Very noticable in menus, silent during loading screens, and noticable again in menu's pre-race. The whine changes depending on what I'm doing, so it whines a certain way when changing between cars, and then has a constant similar whine when just on cars without doing anything. I had put this whine out as normal and only I could hear it, but I don't think I've heard it this loud. I would completely accept if someone opened it up and showed me where a sticker or something is causing it, but I don't think it is. Could be fan related, could be coil. I'm not certain.
    Make sure you cap fps to 60 or 30, whatever it is supposed to be.

Sounds like fps is going crazy high while menuing. Might need a patch from dev to rectify too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Had a couple of races on it last night, certainly looks a good bit better than previous version.
    Couldn't transfer PS4 save data but apparently there is a patch on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lack of v-sync in the menus.....smh

Advertisement