Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning due to bullying

Options
  • 02-05-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am being bullied by my work colleagues. My health is suffering. I have decided to resign this week as I have reported it, and have not been supported. The bullying is covert and subtle, so hard to demonstrate.
    I feel like a failure, and am going to be broke soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I am being bullied by my work colleagues. My health is suffering. I have decided to resign this week as I have reported it, and have not been supported. The bullying is covert and subtle, so hard to demonstrate.

Don’t resign if you know money will be an issue. I believe a GP can sign you off sick for a while but others might be better able to advise here.

How are you being bullied?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Don’t resign if you know money will be an issue. I believe a GP can sign you off sick for a while but others might be better able to advise here.

How are you being bullied?

I am currently off sick, but I want a clean break away from them.
    The bullying is subtle, undermining my work, not including me in discussions, going quiet, like tumbleweed quiet when I log into meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Senior

Get signed off due to workplace stress. Don't quit and put yourself under further pressure.

Sick leave caused by bullying will ensure managers and HR take it seriously.

Senior wrote: »
    Get signed off due to workplace stress. Don't quit and put yourself under further pressure.

Sick leave caused by bullying will ensure managers and HR take it seriously.
    I would agree with you if I were in the right frame of mind.
    But being bullied has made me lose all my confidence, and has me second guessing and questioning all my actions and reactions. I'm in too bad of a place to try to keep my job. And I did ask for help, and that is not working out. I feel like I need to get out and regroup. I don't think that remaining there is going to be viable or healthy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The bullying is subtle, undermining my work, not including me in discussions, going quiet, like tumbleweed quiet when I log into meetings.

I would not resign without having another job lined up but I know that others would favour your approach.
    Have you raised the issues in writing or verbally?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Who is bullying you? Is it colleagues or is it your manager? Does your sick cert from your doctor say it is work related stress? If not, get that put on your next cert.

If a cert is handed in with that on it, it has to be addressed. It might not mean exactly that the bullying colleagues are disciplined, but you might be assigned to a different Dept, different team, different role.

If nothing is done then you can resign and perhaps take a case against your employer for constructive dismissal.

But, if your employer is unaware you are out of work because of workplace stress, or you don't give them the opportunity to put things right in work for you then you will have no comeback.

Have you a union?

• Administrators Posts: 13,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Thread moved from Personal Issues. Work Problems charter now applies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'd agree with the majority of the above. If it is bullying and hasn't be dealt with as per hr processes, then that is a duty of care failing by your company. Get signed off with the doctors note saying something like "extreme work stress". If they're anyways competent they'll take that seriously. A side note is that they may ask you to go to a company doctor.

Do not resign until you have something else, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I think there is a lot to consider here. Have you rent or a mortgage to pay? I have been in situations like that before and always moved jobs rather than quit with nothing on the cards. How marketable are your skills? If you feel you are in demand and could rock into another job fairly quickly then go for it. If you are in danger of getting into financial difficulty there is more at stake.

Have you said it to the bully/ies themselves?
    I was being treated badly by a manager before and I said it to her. She apologied and said on reflection she could have handled things better and was super nice to me after that. Sometimes you need to stand up to bullies and they move on to another victim, or else maybe they just didn’t realise what they were doing.

Far to often people don’t out their hand up and call a bully out.

YellowLead wrote: »
    I think there is a lot to consider here. Have you rent or a mortgage to pay? I have been in situations like that before and always moved jobs rather than quit with nothing on the cards. How marketable are your skills? If you feel you are in demand and could rock into another job fairly quickly then go for it. If you are in danger of getting into financial difficulty there is more at stake.

I was being treated badly by a manager before and I said it to her. She apologied and said on reflection she could have handled things better and was super nice to me after that. Sometimes you need to stand up to bullies and they move on to another victim, or else maybe they just didn’t realise what they were doing.

The 'snake in a suit' (to borrow a phrase from a book I read on bullying) who bullied me was always 'super nice' to me. Meanwhile doing as the OP described, leaving me out of meetings, and generally undermining me. I would consider myself a very strong person, and I can honestly say I never had issues previously over a long career. I didn't even recognise that what was happening was bullying, because it was so insidious.

OP, stay out of there, look around for other roles, if possible and if you can, attend counselling. That was my lifesaver and helped me to get back on my feet. Your workplace might have an Employee Assistance Programme, this is worth checking out.

I returned to work, then got out, and never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd agree with the majority of the above. If it is bullying and hasn't be dealt with as per hr processes, then that is a duty of care failing by your company. Get signed off with the doctors note saying something like "extreme work stress". If they're anyways competent they'll take that seriously. A side note is that they may ask you to go to a company doctor.

If they value their bank balance they should take it VERY seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would get some legal advice here OP. You may have a claim for constructive dismissal. I would do nothing until you talk to someone.

Who is bullying you? Is it colleagues or is it your manager? Does your sick cert from your doctor say it is work related stress? If not, get that put on your next cert.

If a cert is handed in with that on it, it has to be addressed. It might not mean exactly that the bullying colleagues are disciplined, but you might be assigned to a different Dept, different team, different role.

Have you a union?

Colleagues are doing the bullying. I went to my supervisor, and she told me to get on with my work and ignore them. They have her wrapped round their little finger, so I'm not even going to try any more. I could go to hr, but I'm just not in the right frame of mind to fight. I'd rather leave quietly.
    There is no union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - the exonomy is in tatters at the
    moment and new jobs will be harder to find.

Also you will not be eligable for SW benefits if you voluntarily gave up your job. So if you think things are hard now and you are going broke you will soon be broke, bitter and bankrupt with a host of other problems.

I don’t doubt that you are being bullied and that its subtle, but you need to take some of the advise here and go to your doctor. consider having bullying reported on the doctors cert, and then return to the mNager you made the first complaint to and repeat it. If that dosn’t yield reaults you then go back to the doctor and eacallate it past the manager. They mY not have the skills, experience or competence to deal with it.

FYI I find that when I join calls or zooms they ‘room’ always goes quiet - there is usually disruption when someone joins wither to the flow or to the screen or configuration online and people know just to stop while the issues are sorted out & people get a minute to settle and say hello if appropriate.

DO NOT give up your job. That just makes them win. AND managed to put you in an even worse place than you are now - unbelievably.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you followed GP's instructions? Have they referred you for counselling, and have you attended?

If you have, and if the health professionals support you resigning, then you should be eligible for illness benefit straight away.

YellowLead wrote: »

I'm worn down too much to call them out. I really hope karma is a thing.

Have you followed GP's instructions? Have they referred you for counselling, and have you attended?

If you have, and if the health professionals support you resigning, then you should be eligible for illness benefit straight away.

That's good to know, I am attending counselling, and they support me, as they know how much it has affected my mental and physical health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Not every place of employment has a HR department to make complaints to.
    Obviously we dont know where the OP works but reporting bullying for example someone working in a school or hospital, theyd first have to go to management, if management wont take seriously, they take it a step further by contacting their unions or board of management but to be taken seriously at that stage the bullying has to be sever for any action to be taken.
    If the OP was working in a small business, for example a hotel, salon etc, the only person the OP could go to is the manager and if the manager wont take it seriously theres nowhere else to go for help.

I used to work in a hairdressers and the clicky, bitchy bullying that went on was horrendous, as the op described it was all subtle but it wears you down. Allot of the time managers dont want to know or worse they protect the bullies because theyre friendly with them.

OP its awful that youre being pushed out of a job because of these miserable sh!theads, I really feel for you. Being bullied & feeling disliked/rejected and having people be awful to you is one of the worst things anyone can go through and I dont say that lightly, it is soul destroying. It makes you doubt your own self worth and thats not easily fixed. People end their own lives because of dealing this sort of behavior.
    Genuinely wouldnt surprise me if the same people who're bullying you post darkness into light/suicide prevention/be kind/'Wear Blue for Autism' on their social media. I dont know why but it's often the same people that post the above on their facebooks and instagrams for clout, all the while theyre being mean and belittling others.
    I digress but my point is youre way above those bullies and no doubt they bully other people they encounter too. It really is nothing about you, themselves alone are responsible for their behavior and its a big reflection on the horrible people they are.
    Regardless, youre much to good for those people and that job.
    I would suggest you put your mental health and personal wellbeing and self respect first. If it was me in your shoes, I would set a resigning date a few weeks/months from now. Give yourself enough time to get your ducks in a row, save some money, apply to other jobs, get some counselling then leave. It might make it a little bit easier to deal with the bullies knowing that you'll be out of that environment within an amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op do not resign...

Unless as stated you have another job to fall into or you can stand alone on finances till you do get one but don't forget it's not looking good with what is ahead of us.....

Have you spoken to family or friends, if not why not, you are not alone.

If you are not in a position to talk to them for whatever reason speak with Samaritans or similar.
    Does your work place have procedures in place such as counseling if needed.

Definitely do as you are for the moment with signed off by the doctor and work from there but if you resign that's pretty much it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Dont resign,
    Get a cert and start their internal process.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dont resign,
    Get a cert and start their internal process.

This....

And you know the saying, its easier to find a job when you already have one.

Use the signed off time to get a clear head and update your CV/LinkedIn so you can move into a new role. Your employer has a duty of care so has to take bullying seriously.

Buy yourself some time, but dont put yourself under financial pressure by pulling the trigger and resigning now.

Dont resign, Get a cert and start their internal process.

I honestly don't mean scare you or anything, I really don't, but a cert doesn't mean much.(but get work related stress on it)
    But! On the other hand, you have made formal complaints and its effecting your health. They do have a duty of care. Most important thing is to look after your wellbeing and make no rash decisions.
    Your boss is being paid to...guess what.. be your boss. You look after yourself. Don't be pressurised. Recover, update the cv and you'll be back smiling soon. I wish you the best.

Not every place of employment has a HR department to make complaints to.

I used to work in a hairdressers and the clicky, bitchy bullying that went on was horrendous, as the op described it was all subtle but it wears you down. Allot of the time managers dont want to know or worse they protect the bullies because theyre friendly with them.

OP its awful that youre being pushed out of a job because of these miserable sh!theads, I really feel for you. Being bullied & feeling disliked/rejected and having people be awful to you is one of the worst things anyone can go through and I dont say that lightly, it is soul destroying. It makes you doubt your own self worth and thats not easily fixed. People end their own lives because of dealing this sort of behavior.

I would suggest you put your mental health and personal wellbeing and self respect first. If it was me in your shoes, I would set a resigning date a few weeks/months from now. Give yourself enough time to get your ducks in a row, save some money, apply to other jobs, get some counselling then leave. It might make it a little bit easier to deal with the bullies knowing that you'll be out of that environment within an amount of time.

Thanks, you are spot on.
    There is a hr dept, but I would rather walk away without a fuss, than escalate things.
    I hate making a fuss, I suppose I am the ideal candidate for being bullied.
    If someone else was posting here, I would be advising them to hold on till they got another job, but it is different when you are in that situation.

I honestly don't mean scare you or anything, I really don't, but a cert doesn't mean much.(but get work related stress on it)
    But! On the other hand, you have made formal complaints and its effecting your health. They do have a duty of care. Most important thing is to look after your wellbeing and make no rash decisions.
    Your boss is being paid to...guess what.. be your boss. You look after yourself. Don't be pressurised. Recover, update the cv and you'll be back smiling soon. I wish you the best.

A cert gets you paid sick leave while the OP can sort things out financially by finding a new job.

A cert gets you paid sick leave while the OP can sort things out financially by finding a new job.

Depends where you work. Inaccurate statement. All I was saying is put the skids under them and most importantly is the OP look after themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Depends where you work. Inaccurate statement. All I was saying is put the skids under them and most importantly is the OP look after themselves.

Sick pay is a social welfare benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I've resigned jobs before without anything lined up and I'm still alive. I've also quit and not been made to wait 9 weeks to get the dole - I explained the situation (hired for one role and given another on my start day, hours cut from full to part time with no discussion, stress) and was able to go on straight away. I think they still have to backpay you the 9 weeks anyway so it makes little difference to them.

But I can see the logic in getting the sick cert - you get paid now and it sends a message to the management. Also, that can support you in getting the dole quicker, you're not just leaving because you don't feel like working anymore.

Pawwed Rig wrote:

Pawwed Rig wrote:

Yes it is. Not full wages. Quite likely I misinterpreted the post. If so I apologise. Sick cert isn't a "get out of jail free" card.

Yes it is. Not full wages. Quite likely I misinterpreted the post. If so I apologise. Sick cert isn't a "get out of jail free" card.

If the OP works for a large company then sick pay is normally is paid by the employer at full whack so no need to jump through the welfare hoops.

The point is if the employer has done this via an employee which it sounds like is the case here, the OP should use that paid sick leave by the company while they get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭OTG

Personally, I've always walked away, but I've no debt to speak of or any dependants. Think if I'd have stayed in some of my jobs I'd be a dead man today through some stress induced illness. My sister opted out via the anti depressants/ sick cert route and her life is total misery now. Bullies, let them have the spoils, the universe will provide something more worthwhile and better companionship. If you take a look around the current system is on it's last legs so get a head start on the herd and find something that is a necessity and you don't mind doing. Take a break, the weather is getting warmer, try some fasting, meditation, yoga, walking and be good to yourself.

Advertisement