Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning due to bullying

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Tork wrote: »
    When you're feeling fragile, digs or perceived digs hit hard. It was inevitable that you were going to leave this job. In my anecdotal experience, companies rarely handle bullying well and the problem never goes away until somebody leaves. It looks like it was always going to be you in this case. There's no point in regretting what you should or shouldn't have done at this stage. You're now jobless and need to find something else asap. Be prepared for questions about why you left your previous job.

I agree that the digs hurt more when you're not in good form and also that it is rarely handled right. With that in mind I think OP made the right move.

The questions about why you left a job are asked of anyone (unfortunately).I mean job applicants could ask the reverse, ask why do you need staff, but ofc no one does that as it assumed the important part of the interview is determining can this person fill the vacancy not investigating the reason for it. For some reason though the circumstances regarding the existince of the vacancy is not brought up while the applicants jobseeking is. Like how dare an apllicant not already have a job!

I'm sure OP knows that the best thing to do at any subsequent interviews not to say they were bullied but to come up with a shortly stated boilerplate reason that is neither too vague or too specific that can be jotted down and moved on from quickly.

Hope you enjoy a nice break OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree that the digs hurt more when you're not in good form and also that it is rarely handled right. With that in mind I think OP made the right move.

I'm sure OP knows that the best thing to do at any subsequent interviews not to say they were bullied but to come up with a shortly stated boilerplate reason that is neither too vague or too specific that can be jotted down and moved on from quickly.

Hope you enjoy a nice break OP.

Thanks. Some good advice here.
    Should I mention the bullying in the exit interview or keep quiet?
    There's probably no point in saying anything. What are they going to do when I'm left?
    Probably better for a reference to keep quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

Hi OP

I was in your shoes until May. I was bullied by my line manager. The management team were 3 people who were useless. It was a small company and the owner didn't care as long as the euros rolling in. I had enough and handed in my notice without a new job. I had been trying since January. I made an informal complaint and was brought into a meeting by HR and the GM. It was the worst meeting of my life. I was hauled over the coals. I spent the rest of the day crying. It took every ounce of strength but I went ahead with an interview that day. I was offered the job. I started in my new job at the end of May. I am so much happier now. Please don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

Dont worry about a reference, companies nowadays only state the dates that you were working there and what your title/role was. They do not make any statement about anything else. Most companies do not even ask previous employers for a reference.

I would mention it at the exit interview in case someone else at a later stage has a similar issue with the same people. One person's complaining can be dismissed as an individual not fitting in. If a second or third person later comes forward your complaint will add weight to theirs putting HR under pressure to act. It wont benefit you but might benefit someone else who comes after.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

the very best of luck OP, they bullying seems to be rampant and going the HR route rarely makes a difference as HR tend to protect the company and not the employee, they will try to manage you out the door and the next person will go through the same thing, this is why we see a high turnover of staff in toxic management workplaces

• Advertisement
Advertisement