Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WiFi Dongle and Sim

• 26-04-2021 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a WiFi dongle and purchase a sim card with unlimited data. I would primarily use the dongle for working from home but would also like to bring the dongle abroad to countries such as Italy and France,
    I was looking at something like the Hauwei E5577 as a start. Has anyone done this before? I would primarily be using the dongle abroad to keep the children entertained . Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Comments

yes will work fine assuming it's unlocked to take any sim and that there is reception where you are going to be.

if using multiple devices need to have adequate connection speed also.

could also just use an old phone sharing the hotspot on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Thanks Glasso. Never thought of using a phone as a hot spot though. I think the Huawei Dongle is unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

glasso wrote: »
    yes will work fine assuming it's unlocked to take any sim and that there is reception where you are going to be.

if using multiple devices need to have adequate connection speed also.

could also just use an old phone sharing the hotspot on it.

I have notice dongle gives better speed vs phone if running for a prolonged period of time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

USB tethering to a phone means no wifi issues and no need for charger

The trick to phones and dongles is to put it where it gets the best signal. Use an app like Network Cell Info Lite don't forgrt to toggle airplane mode to get phone to scan again.

comreg site viewer will show your nearest masts or opensignal YMMV if away

can only tether to one device tho - OP did say children as in plural

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

glasso wrote: »
    can only tether to one device tho - OP did say children as in plural
    you can do wifi and bluetooth too , laptop would full speed a youngling on BT might top out at 3mb

sharing data connection over bluetooth for browsing is just awkward and the latency is bad, never mind the actual effective data speed

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

May not be the perfect spot to post but has anyone come across a laptop with inbuilt sim. I'm looking to kit my dad out with one who is in hospital. I have a yoga carbon with it and its great but far too good for him as will likely be dropped!! Budget ca. 1200.

Thanks

laptops with sims are generally business laptops and it's also less common nowadays in general tbh also

you could look at an older 2nd-hand laptop with the feature

https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_laptop+lte/price_170-600/sortby_price-asc

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=laptop++lte&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=200&_udhi=600&_sop=15

but tbh if you could have access to a plug and just plug in an old phone to create a hotspot could be the easier way to go and will broaden your choice of laptops greatly

• Advertisement
Advertisement