Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming both from VHI and Laya dental

Options
  • 03-05-2021 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi.

I have a general health insurance from Laya (which covers dental expenses partly) and dental insurance from VHI.

So my question - in case of eligible dental expense, can I claim it from both providers?

Reason I am asking - back in January had a dental expense of 150 EUR. And both of providers refunded it. So I ended up having 300 EUR in my account whereas I spent only 150 EUR.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That sounds like insurance fraud to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

You're not allowed to do that. Otherwise, you could have 10 insurance policies and have €1500 in your account every time you make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭topdecko

you can claim the first one but after that you are committing fraud. You should not have applied for reimbursement from both companies. Not sure about healthcare but generally you cannot insure something for more than its value. therefore if you took out 5x insurance policies on your house for example and made a claim each company would pay a fifth once they were made aware of the other policies.
    you now need to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nurik922

Thanks for advice, will need to ring them back probably.

But say if I don't let them know about it - how they are going to find it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

nurik922 wrote: »
    Thanks for advice, will need to ring them back probably.

But say if I don't let them know about it - how they are going to find it out?

There is a declaration on every insurance claim form to the effect that you have not submitted a claim in respect of that expense to any other insurer.

Both Laya and the VHI relied on your (false) declaration, that's why both of them paid you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement