Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ultrapercy wrote: »
    A nutritionist told me this. The theory is that for magnesium to absorb properly through ingestion the gut has to be very healthy. Its a side effect of modern living that most peoples guts aren't very healthy so a large portion of whats ingested is wasted. Thats the theory.
    In practice I find magnesium supplements useless but the rub quite effective. This is anechdoteal and no way scientific and I may have been influenced by what someone else led me to believe but there you go.

Not for second taking issue with you or your nutritionist, but there are a lot of myths out there, as im not a nutritionist

Realistic the only way to know is to test.
    You need to test your baseline first then re test after a period of time.
    This advice shout be taken for ALL supplements.

The only way to know if you are in deficit is to test first. There are many reason why someone maybe mag deficient including some medical conditions, taking mag supplements may not be the right thing to do as it may cause further electrolyte imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Stark wrote: »
    Hmm, sounds like woo woo tbh. Definitely the part about "modern gut" anyway.
    This actually sounds quite plausible to me. We eat so much processed foods nowadays compared to previous generations, stress and use of antibiotics have increased also, overall I'd expect the natural gut flora to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

ariana` wrote: »
    This actually sounds quite plausible to me. We eat so much processed foods nowadays compared to previous generations, stress and use of antibiotics have increased also, overall I'd expect the natural gut flora to suffer.

I would absolutely agree on the gut. I use this, have a batch that I maintain to help with a healthy gut. Regular, small maintenance keeps him going. We call him Rusty.

One article but there are plenty.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-kefir

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mar Azul wrote: »
    Fair play for giving it a go, give it 3/4 weeks and I think you'll find a sweet spot.

Every 3rd run is still a bit too much and this is where your personal balance needs to be found as your runs/training has to be enjoyable.

I'd say most regular runners who like to race 5k might aim for one every 4 to 8 weeks. In the meantime they'd fill this void with challenging workouts.

A typical week for you might look sth like

Tue - 5 to 8k easy with a few strides

Thur - session, sth like 5x2 mins and developing that session over a number of weeks to finally get to 5x1k at race pace.

Sat - 5 to 8k easy

Sun - 8k to 15k, advancing to the further distance over time. When you get comfortable with the distance you could add some workouts here but not at 5k pace.

I can't remember the thread but there's one here somewhere about beginners and 5k training

Went easy again this morning but I found that unless I'm up at nearly 6:30 my watch has me in anaerobic mode, I managed half of this run in aerobic mode.
    My average was 139bpm with a peak of 149, my previous runs were avg 148, peak 165.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jlang

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering does anybody know of any accurately measured 5k courses in Dublin that are marked on the road? By this I mean that perhaps when they were measured that there were paint marks left on the side of the road to identify them each week in the case of Parkrun courses or annually in the case of club road races.
    There are numbered wooden markers at each km for Waterstown Park Parkrun course (Palmerstown).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

jlang wrote: »
    There are numbered wooden markers at each km for Waterstown Park Parkrun course (Palmerstown).

Thanks....not quite the fastest course out there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Butterbeans

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks....not quite the fastest course out there :eek:

The first km's a flyer :D Good luck after that.
    Having said that, with 100+ parkruns done and 18 different courses, I ran my parkrun pb at Waterstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Getting a really strange blister from my trainers after they went in the wash. It's happening at the top of the base of the my second toe from where the crease of the training is folding as you run. Any ideas why this might happen, laces too tight or too loose. I've no ideas but it's recurring but didn't happen previously so something happened after the wash a while ago, hopefully they haven't shrunk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Mister jinx I had a similar problem, fixed by sticking a hockey ball into trainers overnight to stretch it out.

Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

great thanks I'll try that :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RRQ: shoes in the wash. Is that a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

I get mine in Holland & Barrett's, great value with the 1cent sale on. I think they are available in a lot of other stores too. Obviously read up on them before taking them etc, but I swear by them. Yes I have a friend in Scotland who gets my melatonin for me but luckily I don't need it at the moment. Hopefully this helps you.

Hey thanks for the tip about magnesium tabs. I bought some in Holland and Barrett yesterday,250mg, and last night was the first night in ages I didn’t wake up during the night. I can’t even remember the last time it happened to be honest. I went to bed at 10 and after falling asleep maybe 30mins later I didn’t wake up until just near 6am. That to me is a result, a big result.I also feel extremely refreshed right now. I don’t mind waking up this early at all, it’s the waking up multiple times a night what was killing me.
    I was a bit dubious but if night 1 is anything to go by then I’m very impressed...
    I also bought a magnesium muscle oil spray while there so that will be interesting to see how well that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭sk8board

Folks - Question about using the larger water bottle on the flipbelt.

it looks easy to slip it out but a faff to get it back in - has anyone have any experience with the flipbelt water bottles at HM to marathon distance?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭lulublue22

sk8board wrote: »

it looks easy to slip it out but a faff to get it back in - has anyone have any experience with the flipbelt water bottles at HM to marathon distance?
    Thanks

Have used it for a HM - it can be a bit fiddly but nothing major - at times it can be tricky to find the slit to slip the bottle in but not so much that I would not use it. I rate the flipbelt as one on the best pieces of kit I’ve ever bought for running tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

sk8board wrote: »

Thanks

Used a 500ml soft flask with my Naked Running Band (similar to flip belt) for a full-out 10 mile TT today. No bother getting it out/in of the rear pocket, but even that did slow me down for 20 secs or so. I would sip more regularly when I have a bladder or chest mounted flasks. Took 1 minute off my PB all the same, so can't complain!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

Used a 500ml soft flask with my Naked Running Band (similar to flip belt) for a full-out 10 mile TT today. No bother getting it out/in of the rear pocket, but even that did slow me down for 20 secs or so. I would sip more regularly when I have a bladder or chest mounted flasks. Took 1 minute off my PB all the same, so can't complain!

I use a listerine 250ml bottle, it's rigid and is easier to handle..

4Ad wrote: »

That’s what she said....

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

4Ad wrote: »

Can't stand the sloshing noise from half-full rigid bottles - it's soft flasks or bladder for me all the way now.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

Can't stand the sloshing noise from half-full rigid bottles - it's soft flasks or bladder for me all the way now.

I can understand that, bit like a washing machine following you around !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

This might be one of those questions equivalent to how the "long is a piece of string" types...

But for hill repeats - how long and /or steep should they be? Are the number of reps dependent on the length / steepness of the climb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    This might be one of those questions equivalent to how the "long is a piece of string" types...

But for hill repeats - how long and /or steep should they be? Are the number of reps dependent on the length / steepness of the climb?

I am given 30 seconds hard up hill so distance is not the measure. Coach says the gradient is not that key but rather getting the leg movement correct.

Of course, I try to find the nastiest steepest hill around because I am a double hard bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Depends what you're trying to address. Hill reps could be anywhere from 12 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes depending on what you're trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Arghh have picked up a little niggle 6 weeks into a 12 week plan for a 10k (Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 plans)

Hip Flexor it feels like (had it before).

Any tips? Take a the week off and repeat the current week next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Arghh have picked up a little niggle 6 weeks into a 12 week plan for a 10k (Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 plans)

Hip Flexor it feels like (had it before).

Any tips? Take a the week off and repeat the current week next week?

I would say certainly take the week/next few days easy. When it feels like it has recovered a couple of days easy running just to be sure and then get back into your plan. Better to take the extra bit of time to ease back into it than having to take a couple more weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Any recommendations for podcasts or audiobooks to listen to to pass the time while jogging especially on the long runs?

Any recommendations for podcasts or audiobooks to listen to to pass the time while jogging especially on the long runs?

If it’s not specifically running podcasts you’re looking for then I’d recommend the Tommy and Hector podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Marathon Talk (podcast) is an obvious one but they do drag the arse out of it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Depends what you're trying to address. Hill reps could be anywhere from 12 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks. My running pace and motivation have taken a nose dive since the start of the year - bringing my pace down with them!! Hoping to improve my pace a bit and also build up my confidence with hills in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dev1234

I've been listening to The Rewatchables recently. Basically a bunch of movie buffs pick a movie, (Jaws, The Excorcist, Back to the Future, Reservoir Dogs etc.) and discuss the impact of the movie, alternative casting options that were considered, best scene, trivia etc. Some are better than others but good way to pass the time.

Another one I started listening to yesterday was "60 Songs that Explain the 90's". Similar to The Rewatchables they pick a song from the 90's and discuss its impact. I got through most of November Rain, Common People and Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog yesterday morning. I'll be going back for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Butterbeans

Desert Island Discs is a great one. In and around 40mins per episode. Well known artists, musicians, sports people etc say what 8 tracks they'd take with them to a desert island and why. More recently they've thrown in a book and a luxury item on top of the 8 tracks. Episodes available all the way back to mid 60's

Advertisement