Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 320d vs others

Options
  • 01-05-2021 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi I was looking into getting SUV but after thinking about it I don't actually need something that size especially as I don't have kids.

Looking at BMW 320d as never had a BMW before and thinking about getting remapped if I did get one.

Any other options to consider ?
    2014 - 2016 is the year im Looking at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

If you are considering the 3 series you should also look at A4 and C-class. Driving each will tell you all you need to know depending on your priorities. 320d of that age weaknesses are timing chains and egrs, but if those have been done then it's a safe enough choice. BMW routine servicing is not expensive, bigger stuff like brakes I'd best done at an indie. Their two year warranty is also a big plus if buying main dealer.

There are no bad choices here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Has the 320d 2014 still the n47 engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Luke774

If you are considering the 3 series you should also look at A4 and C-class. Driving each will tell you all you need to know depending on your priorities. 320d of that age weaknesses are timing chains and egrs, but if those have been done then it's a safe enough choice. BMW routine servicing is not expensive, bigger stuff like brakes I'd best done at an indie. Their two year warranty is also a big plus if buying main dealer.

There are no bad choices here.

So if I bought off a BMW dealership even if was a 2016 model I would get a 2 year warranty? I thought that was just for new cars. I have heard about the timing chain problems. Is there a way someone could lie about the timing chain of when it was done last ?

Has the 320d 2014 still the n47 engine?

2014 had both n47 and b47 in the F10/F11, but think the B47 only found its way into the 320d in 2015.

Luke774 wrote: »
    So if I bought off a BMW dealership even if was a 2016 model I would get a 2 year warranty? I thought that was just for new cars. I have heard about the timing chain problems. Is there a way someone could lie about the timing chain of when it was done last ?

All approved BMWs come with 2 year warranty. If buying privately look to see evidence of the chain being done, you may find out with a call to BMW with the registration number.

• Advertisement

2014 had both n47 and b47 in the F10/F11, but think the B47 only found its way into the 320d in 2015.

The B47 has no chains issue I believe?

The B47 has no chains issue I believe?

They do of course. It's a lightly modified n47.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They made large modifications to the B47 engine over the N47 engine and they don't suffer from the same timing chain issues. The B47 engine is more refined and fuel efficient. They do have the same EGR cooler recall though. B47 engine didn't come into the 3 Series until the facelift in 2015.

Were any modifications made to late N47 engines? It must have been very disappointing for new bmw owners to have traded in their older 320d with m47 engine and have the issues of the n47.

They made many modifications over the life of the N47 engine. There are different engine codes that signify updates, for example the later models would have engine codes starting with N47T with "T" being the modified variant.

• Advertisement

Were any modifications to the n47 to eliminate chains issue?

bazz26 wrote: »
    They made large modifications to the B47 engine over the N47 engine and they don't suffer from the same timing chain issues. The B47 engine is more refined and fuel efficient. They do have the same EGR cooler recall though. B47 engine didn't come into the 3 Series until the facelift in 2015.

So its best to go for 2015 and above, with the B47 engine ?

They made various modifications over the life cycle of the engine but none truly eliminated the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Hi I was looking into getting SUV but after thinking about it I don't actually need something that size especially as I don't have kids.

Looking at BMW 320d as never had a BMW before and thinking about getting remapped if I did get one.

Diesel is going to be taxed to shreds in the next few years. I'd be going petrol. Diesels are loud, complex, expensive and unreliable.

Diesel is going to be taxed to shreds in the next few years. I'd be going petrol. Diesels are loud, complex, expensive and unreliable.

Be under no illusion petrol engines will be no different regarding future taxation. They want all ICE engines gone and will use taxes as a stick to beat us into achieving that.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They made various modifications over the life cycle of the engine but none truly eliminated the issue.

Would you recommend anything else in the same bracket? I'm also looking at getting it remapped

Volvo S60 D4?

A bicycle if the greens get any more wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Secondhand car, they can shove it up a tenner or so a year but not much more, Greens are gone in 2 years max and we're already on the high end of EU motor tax so they'll be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Lexus IS300h? What milage are you doing?

• Advertisement

Lexus IS300h? What milage are you doing?

I would say over 10k close to 15k miles easy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The 4 series (F32) in automatic is a joy both aesthetically and on the road imo, especially in M Sport. Shouldn't cost too much extra around that time period

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

People have been saying for years that this is happening. Maybe for new cars or imports, but existing cars are safe for now unless they’re the higher polluting stuff.

Advertisement