Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop for writing

• 01-05-2021 1:27pm

I want a win 10 64 bit* laptop for writing. I will be using on battery away from home. usb-c charging long battery life needed. A 14 inch screen would be OK. Need to view photos, maybe videos.

Harvey Norman have an Acer Aspire 3 14" AMD Athlon | 8GB | 128GB | Silver Bundle.i cannot link. Would that be OK its 499 i don't see usb C on it though

My budget is 500-700 euro

*all 64 bit now

Comments

the 11th gen i5 model here for 580 if you sign up for a 10% off code (far bottom left of page - sent by email) - should be able to get it for 525 or so

would be a much better deal for the same price

much lighter, way more powerful cpu, better battery life, better screen

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5i-14IIL05/p/88IPS501390

glasso wrote: »
    the 11th gen i5 model here for 580 if you sign up for a 10% off code (far bottom left of page - sent by email) - should be able to get it for 525 or so

would be a much better deal for the same price

much lighter, way more powerful cpu, better battery life, better screen
    Is this online buy only?
    if you sign up do you get spammed or what do they want for the 10% off?

is lenovo good brand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You should research the keyboards if you are typing to see what provides the best experience. Laptops with high performance battery's like dell latitude which can last 18 hours are a lot more expensive. Best best is to carry a power bank which you can plug in to extend battery life.

Lantus wrote: »
    You should research the keyboards if you are typing to see what provides the best experience. Laptops with high performance battery's like dell latitude which can last 18 hours are a lot more expensive. Best best is to carry a power bank which you can plug in to extend battery life.
    ok thank you. can you work on the laptop when it is connected to the power bank or have you to wait till it charges?

SoulWriter wrote: »
    Is this online buy only?
    if you sign up do you get spammed or what do they want for the 10% off?

is lenovo good brand

you can unsubscribe from the email after or mark it as spam. hardly a hassle to get 10% off

online only

Harvey Norman has very bad value on laptops generally

the keyboard is good quality - see here ->

https://youtu.be/Glm6J06KEbU?t=142

you don't want to be carrying a powerbank as well as a laptop. also you'd have to buy a specific PD power bank with sufficient output to charge a laptop which are more expensive - you're looking at 50 euro for a decent one

this laptop has a 56 watt hour battery which is big for the laptop size and will give very good battery life for it's class1 and it also has fast charging so for example a 15 minute charge gives 2 hours use of charge

• Advertisement

lenovo are a good brand

it was the laptop division of IBM but that division was sold off and continues as Lenovo

IBM don't make laptops anymore

lenovo are a good brand

it was the laptop division of IBM but that division was sold off and continues as Lenovo

IBM don't make laptops anymore
    have you some connection with lenovo?

currys have a HP 14s-dq1508sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 256 GB SSD for 489

10 hours battery usb c. It's i3 butthat would be ok for writing?

have you some connection with lenovo?

how would I have a connection with Lenovo.

no I don't

not sure where your suspicions are coming from tbh

i've a long history of giving recommendations here

it's just a very good deal for a very good laptop

if you've got some irrational fear of buying online or something I can't help you there

curry's far less powerful, worse screen, smaller battery

no idea on keyboard quality

you don't need a lot of power for writing but a decent bright IPS screen is worth having as that's what you look at all the time

as well as battery life and portability

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A separate keyboard would be better, especially if doing a lot of typing, that way you can get an ergonomic setup by raising the screen and having the keyboard in your primary zone.

• Advertisement

how would I have a connection with Lenovo.

no I don't

not sure where your suspicions are coming from tbh
    you recommend them a lot but fair enough if that is your opinion
    if you've got some irrational fear of buying online or something I can't help you there
    I don't have an irrational fear of buying online. I just do not have credit on my card. I would buy that lenovo if i could get it in a shop now

Del2005 wrote: »
    A separate keyboard would be better, especially if doing a lot of typing, that way you can get an ergonomic setup by raising the screen and having the keyboard in your primary zone.

the OP said they will be carrying it around and using it on battery - who wants to be carrying around a full size keyboard also

it's also not ideal as you're going to be typing further away from the non-monitor sized laptop screen than designed

a portable laptop stand is a much better solution if anyone has an issue with ergonomics

you recommend them a lot but fair enough if that is your opinion

I don't have an irrational fear of buying online. I just do not have credit on my card. I would buy that lenovo if i could get it in a shop now

Lenovo are offering the best value at the moment

they don't have to pay the rent of a retail location

maybe you can get a friend / relation to do the online purchase then

that item is not in the shops afaik and not at that price for sure

Lenovo are offering the best value at the moment

maybe you can get a friend / relation to do the online purchase then

that item is not in the shops afaik and not at that price for sure

OK thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

the OP said they will be carrying it around and using it on battery - who wants to be carrying around a full size keyboard also

it's also not ideal as you're going to be typing further away from the non-monitor sized laptop screen than designed

a portable laptop stand is a much better solution if anyone has an issue with ergonomics

You get a stand so that the screen is in the correct position and you ou can buy small keyboards that are very good for typing. Both are designed for people on the move.

With a laptop on its own you have to choose between having the keyboard or screen in the correct position ergonomically. The OP is planning on spending a long time typing on the laptop so they need to consider the health issues of an incorrect setup.

as said, a second keyboard does not work well with a laptop screen as you're further away from the screen than designed obviously making text hard to read

small portable keyboards make more sense for use with devices like tablets which won't have an existing laptop base / keyboard in the way

in addition many of the smaller size portable keyboards are far less comfortable to use than a decent laptop keyboard

a full size keyboard is most likely better but impractical to carry around (and again the issue of laptop screen being then at a sub-optimal distance remains)

across a good number of years working in offices I've actually never seen someone using a second keyboard with a laptop unless the laptop display output was being output to a monitor

could work if someone had a 2 in 1 convertible laptop with a 360 hinge but I've not seen that as those laptops are not provided as work laptops typically

I will be using it in my car sometimes so no need for second keyboard

isn't this is similar one https: www dot currys dot ie

ieen
    /computing/
    laptops/
    laptops/lenovo-ideapad-5i-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-grey-10207993-pdt.html

sorry have to break url

this one I assume?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-5i-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-grey-10207993-pdt.html

it's the same model with a one generation back cpu

screen is not ips either like the other one so not as good

it's fine if you can't work out a way to buy the other online

this one I assume?

it's the same model with a one generation back cpu

screen is not ips either like the other one so not as good

it's fine if you can't work out a way to buy the other online
    That's it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭wandererz

Were you looking at buying it on credit with curry's or paying cash? If the latter then why not use your bank debit card?

The one listed on Curry's is just with 1 year support. Then they will try to sell you Curry's support which is worthless.

Curry's "KnowHow" may as well be "KnowNothing, let me con you into selling you more instead".

Buying from Lenovo lets you extend the warranty.

e.g. with 3 year manufacturer warranty, and if you get the 10% off, it works out to €569 with free shipping.

Lenovo is one of the largest laptop manufacturers in the world. I used a Lenovo Thinkpad for a year and it had one of the best keyboards i've yet to use on a laptop.

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    Were you looking at buying it on credit with curry's or paying cash? If the latter then why not use your bank debit card?

The one listed on Curry's is just with 1 year support. Then they will try to sell you Curry's support which is worthless.

Curry's "KnowHow" may as well be "KnowNothing, let me con you into selling you more instead".

Buying from Lenovo lets you extend the warranty.

e.g. with 3 year manufacturer warranty, and if you get the 10% off, it works out to €569 with free shipping.

Lenovo is one of the largest laptop manufacturers in the world. I used a Lenovo Thinkpad for a year and it had one of the best keyboards i've yet to use on a laptop.
    I don't have enough on my debit card account right now.

If i buy from Lenovo where does it come from? Dublin?

it's an international supply chain - I don't know where it comes through - I bought something a while ago and it came through Holland - it doesn't matter really - it's delivered to you.

it's an international supply chain - I don't know where it comes through - I bought something a while ago and it came through Holland - it doesn't matter really - it's delivered to you.
    is there any import/vat etc and does it have usb -c i cannot see the usb c

it's the irish version of the website, selling in euros

ports listed in features tab

it's the irish version of the website, selling in euros

ports listed in features tab
    Thanks. The spec tabs are a bit confusing memory is Up to 16GB, battery up to 12.5 hours depending on model. But since no up to at the ports they apparently all have usb c.

Thanks. The spec tabs are a bit confusing memory is Up to 16GB, battery up to 12.5 hours depending on model. But since no up to at the ports they apparently all have usb c.

It depends on what spec you are after.
    You will get the minimum specified based on the price.

It means that you later have the option to add more memory (if required).
    You could see the exact same laptop with 11hrs battery and the other with 9hrs battery at the same proice €579.

The difference (on that Lenovo page) is that one has a better/brighter screen. That extra brightness reduces the battery to 9hrs because it consumes more power.

But, at the same time you get a better/brighter screen and a laptop than can last a full working day before requiring charging.

It's your decision.

is there any import/vat etc and does it have usb -c i cannot see the usb c

The link provided is to the dot IE site. So prices are in Euro. It should ship from within the EU, so there should not be any customs charges etc.
    Lenovo offer free delivery and returns (if you don't like it).

There is a single USB-C port on those laptops. This is the case with most laptops these days.

I would rather have 2 ports.
    A USB-C "hub" is a nice addition that has more ports for display, USB, USB-C etc.
    They do cost a bit, but they extend the functionality.

ok thank you. can you work on the laptop when it is connected to the power bank or have you to wait till it charges?

Just plug it in and away you go. And the stand might be better than a separate keyboard for portability.

Just plug it in and away you go. And the stand might be better than a separate keyboard for portability.
    OK thanks

• Advertisement

OK thanks

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-portable-laptop-battery-chargers-and-power-banks

Start here and work down....
    Remember 100+ on a power bank is still cheap compared to a 1500eu laptop to buy that functionality from day 1. You are only investing in what you need.

Advertisement