Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

More frosty nights to come to see out April, -3 possible tonight. -2 forecast here for Saturday am which is May. Gardeners heads must be wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Darkness creeping over Europe from East to West.

551796.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    More frosty nights to come to see out April, -3 possible tonight. -2 forecast here for Saturday am which is May. Gardeners heads must be wrecked.

I lost a lot of seedlings during that last cold spell. Growth is very slow or non existent. Fleece or cover on veg plants outside and everything in the polytunnel is covered in bubble wrap.
    But that dwarfs into insignificant when you read about the devastation to the grape vines in parts of France.
    Horrendous spring so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Horrible day after a beautiful sunny morning with cold rain showers passing through and temp dropping to as low as 7c each time they passed. This is closer to mid March crap than April's end.

New Moon

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    I lost a lot of seedlings during that last cold spell. Growth is very slow or non existent. Fleece or cover on veg plants outside and everything in the polytunnel is covered in bubble wrap.
    But that dwarfs into insignificant when you read about the devastation to the grape vines in parts of France.
    Horrendous spring so far.

Blame the warm Arctic as the warm Arctic air is pushing down frigid cold Arctic air down over the bulk of Europe.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still plenty of trees totally leaf-less around here, I can't say I take too much notice of exactly when they're usually in full leaf but considering its the 1st of May on Saturday growth seems to be well behind normal

Had some hail showers here today and as mentioned above it feels more like Feb/March than what going by the traditional calendar is the start of summer this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Still plenty of trees totally leaf-less around here, I can't say I take too much notice of exactly when they're usually in full leaf but considering its the 1st of May on Saturday growth seems to be well behind normal

Had some hail showers here today and as mentioned above it feels more like Feb/March than what going by the traditional calendar is the start of summer this weekend

The trees seem well behind average here too and I've noticed a good few trees and plants with leaves beginning to turn brown around the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have trees here that have gone from bare to full leaves in the space of a week or so.

The west has fared better with the higher temperatures. Another nice day here today with very little in the way of showers but when they did come there was a bit of hailstone in them.

My onions are flying up. Peas coming too. But neither were set from a seed.
    Carrots and lettuce set from seed haven't appeared yet. All set at the beginning of April.

If the weekend is like today I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I put my Summer Bedding plants & baskets into the shed every night. Looks like another week or two also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Very cool this morning ice on cars and a frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was driving in hail yesterday and temperature went from 12c to 5c in 5 minutes.

Trees a bit behind in Sligo with some browning.

Will only get worse if May turns out as cold as some forecasting models suggest.

8 to 12c seems to be the standard daytime temperatures a lot of the days.

It was 26c at the end of last May here.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

8-12 degrees pretty much Christmas weather in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

OldRio wrote: »
    I can't agree with that.

That's you don't get six months of good weather in Ireland?

When has the country ever experienced half a year of warm sunny weather?

compsys wrote: »

I honestly doubt any country north of the 50th parallel sees 6 months of warm sunny weather.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

I never said that.?????

I have a farm. I work outdoors. I experience the weather. Of course we don't get a good 6 months of weather. Who the hell would think that. There is more chance of having a crap 12 months. Apart from a couple of days we've had dreadful weather here in Leitrim since mid July. 9 bloody months.
    My point is you can't 'guarantee' good weather in this country at all. When it comes make the best of it. The idea of wishing the good weather in a month of your choosing is nonsensical.
    Even the idea of putting good weather into blocks of months is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not really weather but we do have six decent months of light here. For me summer is all about longer days and evenings spent mucking about in the garden, literally sometimes! My wife, who is from central China, where it gets unbelievably hot for a lot of the year, absolutely loves the Irish weather from around now until the end of September, long days, no temperature extremes, we dont know how lucky we are. Sure winter is a bit of a dogs dinner but thankfully that's not the whole story.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Valentia provisionally has had 231.7 hrs of sunshine this April (to 29th) and is oddly the sunniest place in the country, perhaps indicative of the frequency of northerlies and northeasterlies this month. This makes it the sunniest April at the station since 1938 (apparently had 262 hrs) which was also a rainless month for parts of the country with an infamous drought.

Most places have had their sunniest April since 2015 although Malin Head (though missing some data) had a sunnier April in 2020.

Out for a quick walk earlier in what was chilly late afternoon and captured this little bugger. Haven't seen a ladybird in years so was lucky to get a shot:

oLpZZXD.png

And thought I'd try and capture the Mayo mountains from this great distance. Pretty rubbish shot but I think this may be the same range that Goldfinch often captures in his/her far more beautiful shots:

TxHCSIE.png

New Moon

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Not really weather but we do have six decent months of light here. For me summer is all about longer days and evenings spent mucking about in the garden, literally sometimes! My wife, who is from central China, where it gets unbelievably hot for a lot of the year, absolutely loves the Irish weather from around now until the end of September, long days, no temperature extremes, we dont know how lucky we are. Sure winter is a bit of a dogs dinner but thankfully that's not the whole story.

We have two seasons here, light and dark. In the light season, as long as I can get out on my bike or spend time with the kids outside and in the garden I am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Even the great summer of 1995 didn't get going until late June.

:eek: :confused:

A good portion of April and much of May and all of June here were amazing months in 1995.

I do remember cold nights for the May BH weekend and June BH weekends with frost, but the days were clear and warm with temperatures 19c to 23c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

We have two seasons here, light and dark. In the light season, as long as I can get out on my bike or spend time with the kids outside and in the garden I am happy.

That's a nice way of putting it actually and very accurate. We have such little variation in weather and temperature from season to season that light is by far the most distinguishable variable in our 'climate'.

In many ways winter starts when the clocks change in October and doesn't end until they go forward again in March

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

The only season that really kills me in Ireland is summer.

I don't mind wind, cold in winter( yes I hate rain but you expect it in winter) Autumn and spring I usually love as any sunshine/ mild weather and your delighted but summer really depresses me.

Yes I know we are not on continent and not to expect heatwave blah, blah blah but last summer here in Dublin was dull, wet and dreary.

If we had the weather we have had this spring in summer with just slightly warmer temperatures if would be outstanding.

I just can't stand looking out at rain day after day in middle of summer.

No point it being 20 degrees if dull and raining.

Usually I put up with it as I make sure I get abroad for some nice weather but this will be second year we are forced to stay at home.

Dublin airport got down to -3 last night. A day too early for May but I reckon that must be close to its record low for May. Currently at freezing now. Baltinglass currently coldest on nra site at -1.3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Grass minima this morning were as low as -7 aT Oak Park and -6 at Casement and Mullingar. Technically they're figures for May, so I wonder what the record is.

https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/ireland/soil-temperature-min/20210501-0600z.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dublin airport got down to -3 last night. A day too early for May but I reckon that must be close to its record low for May. Currently at freezing now. Baltinglass currently coldest on nra site at -1.3c.

Once its past 00.00 it is classed as 1st May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Valentia provisionally has had 231.7 hrs of sunshine this April (to 29th) and is oddly the sunniest place in the country, perhaps indicative of the frequency of northerlies and northeasterlies this month. This makes it the sunniest April at the station since 1938 (apparently had 262 hrs) which was also a rainless month for parts of the country with an infamous drought.

Most places have had their sunniest April since 2015 although Malin Head (though missing some data) had a sunnier April in 2020.

Dublin Apt, locally, ended with 209.9 hrs this April which compares with 201.3 hrs for the entirety of July and August 2020 combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

April was surely the driest April in a long time at a host of stations... Dublin Airport 10.8mm, Dunsany 11.8, even Sherkin Island 13.5. Johnstown had 3.1 until the 28th.

Advertisement