Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mayo news reporting Aido picked up a knee injury at training last night. Lets hope its not the as bad as it reads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Mayo news reporting Aido picked up a knee injury at training last night. Lets hope its not the as bad as it reads

Was told last night it is season ending ACL

Was told last night it is season ending ACL

Thats bloody desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭neiphin

charlie14 wrote: »
    Not saying it was rigged or it wasn`t, but if you are going to rig something it is more than likely for financial reasons.
    In which case it would only have been rigged for that reason, more attendants paying coming through the gates.

Hopefully if it was rigged then whoever arranged it has some inside knowledge as to what attendance will be allowed at games by the time the final comes around. In which case I would look on it as a small transgression for the greater good.

For the greater good of who?
    Certainly not sligo, Leitrim or Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

The sooner McHale Park gets resurfaced the better. Absolute joke at this stage

• Advertisement

4 ACL injuries that we are aware of in a very short period of time from that pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

4 ACL injuries that we are aware of in a very short period of time from that pitch.

Hearing he will have a scan on Friday so fingers crossed its not ACL. I hate to see any player inflicted by a serious injury like that, especially at his age it could be the finish of him and no fan of the game wants to see a player finish up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Blackjack

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hearing he will have a scan on Friday so fingers crossed its not ACL. I hate to see any player inflicted by a serious injury like that, especially at his age it could be the finish of him and no fan of the game wants to see a player finish up like that.

Sadly there are far too many skanger-types (and some former players) that would only be too delighted for him to have a serious injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

PressRun wrote: »
    The sooner McHale Park gets resurfaced the better. Absolute joke at this stage

Those injuries especially if it's a ACL are more to do with the amount of twisting and turning players do than the quality of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Those injuries especially if it's a ACL are more to do with the amount of twisting and turning players do than the quality of the pitch.

Twisting and turning on a bad pitch will see more injuries than on a good surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Heard through the grapevine that Aidan's injury may not be as bad as first thought. 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

Any update on this?
    He would have had the scan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

HBC08 wrote: »
    Any update on this?
    He would have had the scan today.

What sleigehigt says above is correct. He will be out for 4-6 weeks and its not an ACL injury thankfully.

So now its not the worst injury news, I can go back to calling him a bollòx for the summer :pac:

Westmeath V Mayo is live on eir sports on May 22nd 2021.

Look forward to the TG4 schedule.

Mayo v Down May 15th 14.00

Westmeath v Mayo May 22nd 15.00

Mayo v Meath Mayo 30th 13.45

Gut wrenching having those 2 home games on our doorstep with the kind of weather we're having at the moment,with no access to same.

C'est la vie.

Vital we bounce straight back up to division 1 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Excellent interview with McStay on OTB

Lays the blame for 2015 at the door of some unnamed players and Mike Connelly is my reading of it

Says that it’s unlikely but he’d love a shot at the Mayo job

Green&Red wrote: »

Lays the blame for 2015 at the door of some unnamed players and Mike Connelly is my reading of it

A significant number of the panel didn't rate McHale as a coach. Also McStay wouldn't come without McHale. Also the cost of the two of them was pretty high. All those factors combined meant they/he didn't stand a chance.

A significant number of the panel didn't rate McHale as a coach. Also McStay wouldn't come without McHale. Also the cost of the two of them was pretty high. All those factors combined meant they/he didn't stand a chance.

Yep. That's the truth of it - McStay's book is a great read but he goes a long way to defending/bigging up mcHale which is probably in response to the lack of rating given to McHale from elsewhere.

That being the case - having, Holmes, Connelly and their crew and in particular some of their backroom selection - a few which would have been for reasons of popularity rather than proficiency in the role was a disaster altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Is he not retired from Inter county management? He made the point of stressing he was when leaving Roscommon. McHale was rated much higher in Roscommon with the players than McStay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

Wasn't there something about McHale giving out about alot of the core group of the 2015 panel or something like that? I can't remember exactly but isn't that why nobody wanted McHale near the panel?

• Advertisement

muddle84 wrote: »
    Wasn't there something about McHale giving out about alot of the core group of the 2015 panel or something like that? I can't remember exactly but isn't that why nobody wanted McHale near the panel?

I think that theory was debunked - I heard the same rumour but McHale himself denies it.

Blackjack wrote: »
    I think that theory was debunked - I heard the same rumour but McHale himself denies it.

Maybe i am way off the mark so. I didn't think it was a rumour, i thought it was things said in an interview or as a pundit, as in it was on the record stuff. Like i said I can't remember the details though so i could be wrong!

The interesting thing from this McStay interview is a few things he says with regard to the 'interview' he had for the job. Says he was too honest when speaking to the committee. He says he thought they were not far away from an All-Ireland but that there would have to be some changes. This info was leaked to some of the players and may have impacted the process of him getting the job. Apparently Noel & Pat did not show any interest but behind the scenes it was a done deal. Makes sense when it was Connelly's brother organising everything. He has a massive beef with that County board committee which is understandable given what happened.

After he left the Roscommon job he was done but says he would be interested if the Mayo job became available in the future

The interesting thing from this McStay interview is a few things he says with regard to the 'interview' he had for the job. Says he was too honest when speaking to the committee. He says he thought they were not far away from an All-Ireland but that there would have to be some changes. This info was leaked to some of the players and may have impacted the process of him getting the job. Apparently Noel & Pat did not show any interest but behind the scenes it was a done deal. Makes sense when it was Connelly's brother organising everything. He has a massive beef with that County board committee which is understandable given what happened.

After he left the Roscommon job he was done but says he would be interested if the Mayo job became available in the future

I thought he didn't do an interview for the Mayo job? Noel and Pat already had the job when McStay was offered the interview. Thats how i remember that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

My understanding too was that it was a done deal before McStay was ever interviewed and that the interview was a bit of a sham.

muddle84 wrote: »
    I thought he didn't do an interview for the Mayo job? Noel and Pat already had the job when McStay was offered the interview. Thats how i remember that anyway.
    PressRun wrote: »
    My understanding too was that it was a done deal before McStay was ever interviewed and that the interview was a bit of a sham.

I haven’t read his book but that interview suggests the timing was different. That he interviewed when he was the only candidate and that his answers were leaked back to some players who weren’t happy that there might be a cull. Not sure how that would fit in H&C coming in, perhaps two separate events.

He said that after the roscommon job was done with IC management but now that time has passed he’s not so sure. Then returns later to say there’s only one IC job he’d be interested in.

This won’t be a popular statement but I think if we were looking for a new IC manager he’s still the best option out there. There’s no one I can see in club management that I’d pinpoint as a future Mayo manager. His time with Roscommon is tainted by the pasting they took v Mayo, unfairly IMO

I haven’t read his book but that interview suggests the timing was different. That he interviewed when he was the only candidate and that his answers were leaked back to some players who weren’t happy that there might be a cull. Not sure how that would fit in H&C coming in, perhaps two separate events.

He said that after the roscommon job was done with IC management but now that time has passed he’s not so sure. Then returns later to say there’s only one IC job he’d be interested in.

This won’t be a popular statement but I think if we were looking for a new IC manager he’s still the best option out there. There’s no one I can see in club management that I’d pinpoint as a future Mayo manager. His time with Roscommon is tainted by the pasting they took v Mayo, unfairly IMO

According to his book he had the interview on the Thursday evening, and was told the next day by the Chairman that he could not support him on his plans or budget. The following week Holmes and Connelly were presented, with Holmes having publicly ruled himself out previously.

McStay had no chance of getting that role and it was nothing to do with the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There's a new Mayo News podcast out btw in case anyone missed it in their feeds.

Just started listening now....great to hear the theme music and familiar voices again!

*Update: great stuff from the lads as always...I remain in awe of their passion and dedication. Sounds like they have a lot of interviews in the can with the retired players which should be interesting

Great news that the other 2 league games are live on GAAGO.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/-4Oa709BEM0

Happy Mayo days guys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement