Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watches for sale, potentially , value?

• 30-04-2021 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, as per my other thread, i have these 2 watches. I would like to sell them, if the price is right, as I have other uses for the funds. Fitz II says the gurus here will help me with prize?

image1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd imagine the Rolex to get a pretty penny as it's a Tritium dial so from the 90's?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

EDIT I see from the other thread it's from 76. Still what with the Rolex values at the moment I'd reckon around 7-9K, unless it's an unusual one? I don't know nearly enough about Rolex's post 1970 so not much help there I'm afraid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

I think it’s a Sub reference 1680 which should help you google value.

If it’s that old I would have expected more patina on the markers? Perhaps there is and the picture doesn’t show. Any idea of history? Could there be a service dial in it?

I would say 7k is where it’s at given the bracket I assume is in poor nick, bezel pip missing and I am guessing some deep dings.

893bet wrote: »
    If it’s that old I would have expected more patina on the markers? Perhaps there is and the picture doesn’t show. Any idea of history? Could there be a service dial in it?
    Could be 893, though patina can be funny. I've seen old watches that had beaten up cases and yet their dials were pristine and vice versa. I've an 80 year old watch where the case is chock full of "patina", but the dial is like new. And that has a radium dial, horrid stuff is more detrimental to dials than trit.

Though I'd agree 100%, some sort of history would make a big difference to value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

copying this from other thread as the bold bit is super important.

OP just a little advice. Thats a 1618 reference Sub from 1969-1979. There were a a few very collectable ones at the time...the "red sub" "Comex" and some "Mil Subs", your watch is not one of those so dont get too excited. The condition is also pretty rough. With these Subs if you want the best price you need to get Rolex service papers and that will cost around 1500 euro to 3000 euro depending on what they change. Why bother?...well at this age you are going for the 40 -50 year old collector looking for a birth year watch so having some providence is a good idea and knowing the exact year of manufacture. However you dont want the dial or hands changed as collectors like to have the originals. That bezel needs a new one, but keep the old one (remove it before sending it to Rolex and claim its lost same with the bracelet). You need the Rolex service not an independent.

If you had the watch in perfect condition new bracelet and new bezel fully serviced, origional dial and the spare origional braclet and bezel, you could see 10-11k out of it. As is 7k (more on the high 6's or low 7's to be honest). So basically the cost of service is the difference. Unless you are very patient I would consider selling to the likes of Chris in Ichrono or on adverts. Chrono24 will take an extra 6%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 alohamora

You have a PM.

Advertisement