Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bin primer alternative

Options
  • 26-04-2021 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi Folks

As the title says, I'm looking for an alternative adhesion primer to BIN or shellac based primer. Both the BIN and Fleetwood terminator are excellent to spray, but it's a nightmare to clean the airless pump and guns after, never mind expensive with the price of methalated spirits.

Looking at the Akva from Tikkurila or the Halftprimer from caparol even though I'm struggling to find an Irish supplierfor the Halftprimer.

A water based primer would be ideal, but performance would be the decider. It will be all varnished/lacquered or previously painted kitchen units I will be using it on through a Graco FF sprayer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi Folks

As the title says, I'm looking for an alternative adhesion primer to BIN or shellac based primer. Both the BIN and Fleetwood terminator are excellent to spray, but it's a nightmare to clean the airless pump and guns after, never mind expensive with the price of methalated spirits.

Looking at the Akva from Tikkurila or the Halftprimer from caparol even though I'm struggling to find an Irish supplierfor the Halftprimer.

A water based primer would be ideal, but performance would be the decider. It will be all varnished/lacquered or previously painted kitchen units I will be using it on through a Graco FF sprayer

I've recommended "Bradite One Can" on here before. I've used it multiple times and don't have an issue with it.
    It is waterbased and as such it is slower to dry and cure, but once cured its the finest.
    Recently used " Fleetwood pure grip" and found it good as well.
    I've also used "colourtrend epoxy primer" in the past, good product but it doesn't keep once the can is opened, so for that reason I don't use it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Ceepo wrote: »
    I've recommended "Bradite One Can" on here before. I've used it multiple times and don't have an issue with it.
    It is waterbased and as such it is slower to dry and cure, but once cured its the finest.
    I've also used "colourtrend epoxy primer" in the past, good product but it doesn't keep once the can is opened, so for that reason I don't use it anymore.

Waterbased would be perfect, for clean up and also as it's WB finishes I use. I'll give that Bradite a go.

What is the adhesion like with it in comparison to shellac?

I've read good things about Atexakva from Tikkurila as well.

Just got a new Graco GXFF, and would like to keep it primeraly for waterbased paints.

Waterbased would be perfect, for clean up and also as it's WB finishes I use. I'll give that Bradite a go.

What is the adhesion like with it in comparison to shellac?

I've read good things about Atexakva from Tikkurila as well.

Just got a new Graco GXFF, and would like to keep it primeraly for waterbased paints.

"What is the adhesion like with it in comparison to shellac?"

I would give high gloss surface a light sand ti5 give them a key. But I haven't had any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Ceepo wrote: »

On the colortrend prime 2, I was talking to the technical department in Colortrend last week, they are going to send me a sample to try it out. Should have it in the next few days.

On the colortrend prime 2, I was talking to the technical department in Colortrend last week, they are going to send me a sample to try it out. Should have it in the next few days.

I also got a free 1ltr sample a few yeara ago, anf was impressed with it, so I picked up a bigger tin, used maybe 1.5 ltr of it, and put the lid back on it, didn't need it for apporx 2 weeks, and it was after going off in the tin. Pick up another and the same thing happened.
    It would be grand if I was using it on a daily basis.
    Now they may well have a newer formula now, but that was my experience with it.

Edit, to say I also used it on new timber and was a biatch to sand to a smooth finish.
    So I went back to BIN, until last 18 months or so where I've been using "One Can" for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Prime 2 is excellent. Haftprimer is better. Renner 643 is better again. There is no such thing as a WB primer that will hold back tannins/knots. I bought a cheap electric sprayer from Screwfix for 65 euro. Rough as **** finish, but does the job with shellac. Cleans out with 200ml of meths and I reuse that too

Advertisement