Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games did you start but couldn't bring yourself to finish 2021.

Options
  • 27-04-2021 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I thought this might be an interesting alternative to what games have you completed. What games did you start but couldn't bring yourself to finish in 2021 and why?

I'll start. I tried Control on the PS5 because it was free with PS+ and was receiving a lot of praise but after 3 hours I simply had enough. The game just wouldn't click for me. I found it a bit repetitive and the atmosphere was a bit depressing if I'm honest. Perhaps I'll go back to it at some stage but for now it's a pass.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Although I originally started it in 2020, I tried again in 2021 to finish The Outer Wilds but I just couldn't. The 20 minute loop does my head in and makes the game beyond frustrating for me. I love exploration games, but the time loop completely ruins the game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

AC Valhalla.
    I enjoy my time when I play it but I know I will never have the time to put in to finish it (life, kids etc). I will probably jump in and out of it occasionally to do some exploring but I know I'll never finish it. Mainly because I want to use my gaming time to play other games that I know I can finish 10-12 single player games. Fallen Order and Resi 7 on the go at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Disco Elysium

I played about an hour the day it came out. Wasn't really in the mood for it though so said I'd leave it a while. Went back to it a few weeks later and played maybe another two hours. Still just not feeling it. It just felt like in every conversation I had it in, the game was going out of its way to say "Nah, we're going to stretch this out way longer than we have to by throwing in random sh*t".

It's more my problem than the game in fairness. I find myself having less time and a bit less attention/patience lately. I mostly just want games where I can hit stuff and then f*ck off. So when DE is pushing me to find the right combination of sentences to get a small nugget of information that might lead to the next nugget which might lead to the next etc.... along with needlessly drawn out conversations that don't seem to go anywhere because I haven't found a preceeding bit of info.... nah, I'm just going to play something smashy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

I'm actually surprised at some of the games listed already. Some of these are very highly rated. But it just shows if it doesn't click then it's time to move on. Of course it's all about individual taste at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not surprised about Disco Elysium. Wordy games I find hard to get into and have to be in the mood for. I tend to need to have a few hours set aside to enjoy them.

Two games I didn't really drop. More like hadn't much interest in, heard good word of mouth, tried out of curiosity and noped out of. Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima.

Days Gone wasn't as bad as I thought and Ghost was worse. Both I found to be uninteresting ubiclone open world games. Days Gone has a little bit more to it with the enemies being more interesting and the bike mechanics. Ghost is very pretty but very rote. Stealth is rudimentary and the combat and does that thing western games to give the illusion of depth by having you have stance/colour/flavour of skittles to take on the corresponding enemy. It's frustrating and adds no depth. It annoyed me in DMC as well. Honestly thing if it wasn't so pretty it would be looked upon a lot less kindly.

Before you sharpen the pitchforks, neither is bad, I've just got so many better games worth my time that I've not played and it's a style of game that doesn't normally appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm on a terrible run of starting but not finishing games lately. I just lose interest quite quickly these days, so here's my list so far that I can recall:

Avengers
    Zombie Army 4
    Oddworld: Soulstorm
    Dirt 5
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Doom (again, for the 4th attempt and fail)
    Moonlighter
    Fallout 76
    DmC Collection (couldn't get beyond a few hours in the first one)
    WWE 2K Battlegrounds
    Hotline Miami 2
    Outward
    Foregone
    Shing!
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
    Surviving Mars
    Terraria

Think that's about it. There could be more, but I can't remember if I started them this or last year. Seem to be getting into Darksiders: Genesis right now, it's keeping my interest thanks to strong voice acting, and the only thing that'll stop me is my own thoughts that it would be 10x better if it was like Darksiders 1 or 2 (3 was such a let down, I never finished it).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hardly finish anything these days tbh.

In the last year or two, have completed:
    * Wasteland 3
    * Ghost of Tsushima
    * TLOU2
    * Jedi: Fallen Order
    * Spiderman
    * RDR2

Played a good bit of Days Gone and AC Valhalla but still haven't finished either.

Games I started with, barely played, and abandoned:
    * FFVII Remake
    * The Outer Wilds
    * Demons Souls
    * MGS the Phantom Pain
    * RE2
    * Sudden Strike 4
    * Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
    * Death Stranding
    * Ancestors
    * God of War
    * Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    * Horizon Zero Dawn
    * Kingdom Come Deliverance
    * Shadow Tactics: Shogun
    * Ghost Recon
    * Titanfall 2

Mostly playing PES 2021, CIV 6 or Rainbow Six Siege.

Been meaning to give Control a lash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You fell off Titanfall 2?

The games only 4 hours long! And pretty much the best FPS campaign since COD4.

Horses for different courses. But while I enjoyed Blops 1, it was hardly amazing. And I don't get the love for modern warfare 2's campaign. Found it a massive let down to CoD4. It was just filled with unexciting setpieces like the defense of random cabin in the woods and burger town.

Loved the inventiveness of the Titanfall 2 levels. It was like Nintendo decided to make a violent FPS game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Must give it another go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Recently, Metro Redux and the Metro Exodus. I think it put a nail in the coffin for FPS's for me. I'm worried how I'd feel if Half Life 3 ever came out.

Avengers, holy Jaysus that's a boring soulless game.

As for Outer Wilds, I found myself smiling at the end of every 20 minute cycle and legging it back to my ship to get straight back out there. I remember hearing about that loop nearly put me off playing it but it's ****ing magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

(Falllout 76 and Far Cry)

I didn't get very far at all in Fallout. I was having some disconnects which was losing progress and I felt it was giving a non subtle strong push to buy stuff. About 5 hours in total I'd say. Just didn't grab me, and didn't like the shared online. I wanted Fallout 5, I got Fallout 4 Multiplayer Online only. But it was the disconnects that ended me.

Far Cry I feel peaked with 3 (and Blood Dragon). It was new, had the best characters, and was just fun. Ever since, while I agree they've refined the gameplay brilliantly, everything else is meh. Pagan Ming, Joseph and those twins just didnt do it for me. Vaas is to blame, he was too good.

I reckon I'm about 50/50 story/gameplay, so I'm finding it very difficult to get into a game these days, one or the other is lacking too much that I don't find myself enjoying it. I've an interest in the story in Avengers, but the gameplay is pants so I can't bring myself to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You fell off Titanfall 2?

The games only 4 hours long! And pretty much the best FPS campaign since COD4.

Right, I’ve had titanfall 2 for ages and never got around to playing it but that’s convinced me to finally give it a go.

On topic, I can’t bring myself to stick with TLoU. I keep hearing such good things about it but get bored every time I try it. That’s not to say it’s a bad game, just not my thing I suppose. Skyrim is another one. I do enjoy it, have started feck knows how many saves at this point, but I always get distracted before I can finish.

Advertisement