Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

My partner got a email today to confirm her membership for our application. When she confirmed, it showed on the liabilities/ returns due, section, PAYE balance outstanding €1,399,267.88 :eek:. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on, she will probably have to ring them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SlimSheehy

Hi Everyone,

I am after a bit of advice. My partner and I recently completed our self build in 2019, unfortunately our HTB application isn't as straight forward as the normal application process. We have a family member on our mortgage as I have health issues, and could not get a mortgage unless this person came on the mortgage with us. The family member who came on the mortgage with us is also on the property deeds as this was recomended by our solicitor. Thing is, this person already has their own house, therefore is NOT a first time buyer. I know its a shot in the dark applying for HTB but my question is has anyone been denied but has appealed the decision and did they have joy after the appeal.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Everyone on the mortgage has to be a FTB, no way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 babelavante

Just for anyone wondering about timing, myself & my partner applied for HTB on 1st of March and we just got approved this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Seaandwind

Got approved after applying January 15th, finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I need a P60 for 2018 which is now known as Employment Summary Detail. I can't seem to be able to request this on the revenue site probably because it is issued by your Employer?

Do I need to request this from my Employer/HR or is there a way to get this on the revenue website?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Klopp wrote: »
    I need a P60 for 2018 which is now known as Employment Summary Detail. I can't seem to be able to request this on the revenue site probably because it is issued by your Employer?

Do I need to request this from my Employer/HR or is there a way to get this on the revenue website?

You should have received it in email from your employer. Check your work emails. Other contact HR department.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Just got approved this morning after waiting a few weeks. Got my access code. Is that the whole application process complete?

Anyone know if there is the possibility to get a LTI exemption alongside HTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Just got approved this morning after waiting a few weeks. Got my access code. Is that the whole application process complete?

Anyone know if there is the possibility to get a LTI exemption alongside HTB?

Yes, the HTB really makes no difference to the LTI exemption criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Markitron wrote: »
    Yes, the HTB really makes no difference to the LTI exemption criteria.

Cheers thought that.

Don't think I'll get an exemption either way but wanted to know if this stopped it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Cheers thought that.

Don't think I'll get an exemption either way but wanted to know if this stopped it.

If anything it would improve your chances, having a full deposit paid for you makes it less likely you would immediately get a loan after drawdown. Realistically I don't expect it would make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Markitron wrote: »
    If anything it would improve your chances, having a full deposit paid for you makes it less likely you would immediately get a loan after drawdown. Realistically I don't expect it would make any difference.

Not if they're using the HTB as part of thr deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Hi all,
    I’m wondering can anybody help please?
    We have provisionally booked a new build. Booking deposit due September 2021, house will be built summer 2022. We have been approved for full help to buy amount.
    My question is can we obtain the help to buy before December 2021 to ensure we can avail of it for buying the house in 2022? Our fear is HTB won’t be around after December 2021.
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

I'd imagine if you're approved it's ok. Scheme would probably be closed to new applicants if it was to be done away with?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Abhi0505

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I’m wondering can anybody help please?
    We have provisionally booked a new build. Booking deposit due September 2021, house will be built summer 2022. We have been approved for full help to buy amount.
    My question is can we obtain the help to buy before December 2021 to ensure we can avail of it for buying the house in 2022? Our fear is HTB won’t be around after December 2021.
    Many thanks

As long as you sign the contract in 2021, you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Minetunes

Hi everyone,
    Me and my partner want to buy a new build this year. We’ve been hearing about HTB now and because we are first time buyers we definitely want to use it. Can anyone clarify one thing for me because I’ve been hearing differently from different people how the pay out actually works? I’ve heard you can use it as deposit in the bank when applying for the mortgage? Is this true? Or is it the deposit to the builder?

I will greatly appreciate clarification on that from more experienced members of the forum :)

Thanks a lot

Minetunes wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Me and my partner want to buy a new build this year. We’ve been hearing about HTB now and because we are first time buyers we definitely want to use it. Can anyone clarify one thing for me because I’ve been hearing differently from different people how the pay out actually works? I’ve heard you can use it as deposit in the bank when applying for the mortgage? Is this true? Or is it the deposit to the builder?

I will greatly appreciate clarification on that from more experienced members of the forum :)

Thanks a lot

You can show that you will use HTB as a part of your deposit in your mortgage application. Bank will ask you for your application number/access code to verify the amount.

As for the payout, once you sign the contract, you can put in your claim and give the claim number/access code to your contractor and the amount will be refunded to the contractor directly.

Thanks your your reply!

If we will decide to use it as our mortgage deposit and it is less than 10% required, I assume I just use my own savings to cover this difference then?

It’s a little bit complicated...

I will try and figure out what’s best to do then, give it to contractor or use it in the bank :)

Thanks again

Thanks your your reply!

If we will decide to use it as our mortgage deposit and it is less than 10% required, I assume I just use my own savings to cover this difference then?

It’s a little bit complicated...

Yes, if it falls short of 10%, rest is your savings. The bank would also like to see that you have enough saved for the solicitor
    I will try and figure out what’s best to do then, give it to contractor or use it in the bank :)

Thanks again

Use it in your mortgage application and give it to the contractor later.
    -->during mortgage application, you show the bank where you will get your deposit from -- you are just telling the bank you will use HTB.
    -->when signing contract you give it to your contractor and they withdraw it

We have all the savings sorted now, stamp duty and all that jazz.

Sounds so easy!

Thanks for all this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

We've just drawn down the HTB this week. originally we gave our solicitor the access code and the builder signed the contracts this week, once he did that our solicitor gave us a pdf of the contract and we submitted these to revenue, straight away we got another code and gave that to our solicitor and the builder got his 10% then. In fairness its a good system and was a great help to us.

Solicitors and stamp duty are a small cost compared to the cost of moving into a new build and getting it ready to live in so just remember that too.

Good Luck

patrickc wrote: »
    We've just drawn down the HTB this week. originally we gave our solicitor the access code and the builder signed the contracts this week, once he did that our solicitor gave us a pdf of the contract and we submitted these to revenue, straight away we got another code and gave that to our solicitor and the builder got his 10% then. In fairness its a good system and was a great help to us.

Solicitors and stamp duty are a small cost compared to the cost of moving into a new build and getting it ready to live in so just remember that too.

Good Luck

In fairness, yes. But the property prices are also raised to normalize the effect of this subsidy. Some people would never be able to buy houses if the prices keep soaring like this and average income doesn't appreciate or prices are regulated to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Does anyone know how long approval for HTB usually takes these days? My partner and I submitted our application 11 days ago and I paid off all outstanding taxes due before doing so, but haven't gotten any communication or movement since then. I would have thought it would be a fairly quick automated system, like applying for Statement of Liability on Revenue, but maybe it's normal for it to take a few weeks to hear back?

Right now whenever I check it I just get a generic message that it's under review, but also when either one of us checks it, it says it is awaiting membership confirmation from the other person. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

C14N wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long approval for HTB usually takes these days? My partner and I submitted our application 11 days ago and I paid off all outstanding taxes due before doing so, but haven't gotten any communication or movement since then. I would have thought it would be a fairly quick automated system, like applying for Statement of Liability on Revenue, but maybe it's normal for it to take a few weeks to hear back?

Right now whenever I check it I just get a generic message that it's under review, but also when either one of us checks it, it says it is awaiting membership confirmation from the other person. Is that normal?

sounds like you or your partner haven't completed the membership. Both of you need to be confirm that you want to be part of the application

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

ec18 wrote: »
    sounds like you or your partner haven't completed the membership. Both of you need to be confirm that you want to be part of the application

We've both finished it and see the same message (see below with details blocked out). It doesn't show anything else that we're actually able to do.

mKSM8i3l.png

We've both done the steps where you confirm membership and select years that you want tax back for also and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nd272

C14N wrote: »
    We've both finished it and see the same message (see below with details blocked out). It doesn't show anything else that we're actually able to do.

mKSM8i3l.png

We've both done the steps where you confirm membership and select years that you want tax back for also and all that.

I applied under by myself c.3/4 weeks ago, I done all the returns for the years selected and got the same screen and no updates since then.

Tried ringing and everything to no avail. Put booking deposit down on new build and contracts now with my solicitor, bank can’t release revised offer until proof of HTB is there.

Don’t know what is going on but clock is ticking now big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mjohn123

nd272 wrote: »
    I applied under by myself c.3/4 weeks ago, I done all the returns for the years selected and got the same screen and no updates since then.

Tried ringing and everything to no avail. Put booking deposit down on new build and contracts now with my solicitor, bank can’t release revised offer until proof of HTB is there.

Don’t know what is going on but clock is ticking now big time.

Upload proof of AIP, proof of deposit and contractors details into my enquiries, ring the helpline and let them know that you have uploaded this information and that it's urgent. Did this last week and was approved within 10 minutes

patrickc wrote: »

Good Luck

Hi, could you or anyone else please confirm if the status of HTB updates to reflect that the contracter has recieved the refund? I see the last status for me is claim approved for over a week now.
    Thanks

Abhi0505 wrote: »
    Hi, could you or anyone else please confirm if the status of HTB updates to reflect that the contracter has recieved the refund? I see the last status for me is claim approved for over a week now.
    Thanks

It doesn't reflect that. You need to check with your solicitor or developer solicitor (which you can do through your solicitor).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hi,

I'm in the process of saving for a deposit on a house, I'm a first time buyer.

I don't have any house in mind, and i've not applied for a mortgage yet as I don't have enough of a deposit saved.

I was reading on revenue.ie that there is a Help to Buy scheme. https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/help-to-buy-incentive/index.aspx

Is says that I can claim for a refund on my paid income tax to help with the deposit.

As a first time buyer, I need at least 10% deposit. How would this work if I was able to get some of that deposit from claiming back income tax.

If I was looking at a house for €200,000. I'd need a minimum of €20,000 deposit.

If I had €10,000 saved, and was able to get €10,000 back from revenue, would this satisfy the 10% deposit rule?

The main reason for asking this is I could speed up the process of getting a deposit and I could be looking for a new home sooner.

thanks.

Advertisement