Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Query

Options
  • 28-04-2021 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice.
    We are planning to build onto the back of our bungalow (detached and pretty isolated) and plan to build less than the 40m2 that requires planning permission.
    We have found out that 30 years ago retention planning was sought and given for a small utility room built on the back and to change the garage that was part of the bungalow into a bedroom.

How will this impact us? Given we intend to knock down the utility room and build over its footprint? Also the garage into the bedroom, whilst it didn't change the physical size of the bungalow does it affect the rest of the house for planning reasons?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mikerd4 wrote: »
    We are planning to build onto the back of our bungalow (detached and pretty isolated) and plan to build less than the 40m2 that requires planning permission.
    We have found out that 30 years ago retention planning was sought and given for a small utility room built on the back and to change the garage that was part of the bungalow into a bedroom.

How will this impact us? Given we intend to knock down the utility room and build over its footprint? Also the garage into the bedroom, whilst it didn't change the physical size of the bungalow does it affect the rest of the house for planning reasons?

The 40 square meter exemption is reduced by the area of both of these previous extensions. So you need to check the area of those, let’s say they both add up to 18. You now have 22 to explore under the exemptions at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Does it matter that one of the previous additions will be locked down and the new extension will be put where it was albeit it slightly larger?

Also the garage being converted to a bedroom made no difference to the floor space of the house so I was unsure if that is classed inside the 40m2 rule

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Does it matter that one of the previous additions will be locked down and the new extension will be put where it was albeit it slightly larger?

Also the garage being converted to a bedroom made no difference to the floor space of the house so I was unsure if that is classed inside the 40m2 rule

it is explicitly included as part of the 40 sq m
    The extension of a house, by the construction or erection of an extension (including a conservatory) to the rear of the house or by the conversion for use as part of the house of any garage, store, shed or other similar structure attached to the rear or to the side of the house.
    2. (a) Where the house has been extended previously, the floor area of any such extension, taken together with the floor area of any previous extension or extensions constructed or erected after 1 October 1964, including those for which planning permission has been obtained, shall not exceed 40 square metres.

See I was looking at the garage conversion as it is physically part of the house structure, it wasn't built as an add on.

Same with he rear utility, so for example if it is 10 sqm and I then demolish it and built a 40sqm extension over its original footprint, in planning terms I have to apply for planning for 50sqm.

Thank you for the info.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

See I was looking at the garage conversion as it is physically part of the house structure, it wasn't built as an add on.

Same with he rear utility, so for example if it is 10 sqm and I then demolish it and built a 40sqm extension over its original footprint, in planning terms I have to apply for planning for 50sqm.

Thank you for the info.

This bit is very much a grey area and down to the opinion of certifiers.

it can be argued that the floor area of the house isnt being extended by more than 40 sqm if 10 sq m is being demolished and 50 sq m built....

• Advertisement

The current utility room was built nearly 40 years ago, the retention was applied for 30 years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The current utility room was built nearly 40 years ago, the retention was applied for 30 years ago.

Irrelevant. They still eat into the exempted development allowances.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im late to the party. On the issue of the utility room I dont see any reason why you cant build up to 40 m2 under the exemptions so long as it includes the area currently occupied by the utility room which you propose to knock.

Advertisement