Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ballyneety driving range

• 23-04-2021 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

https://ballyneetydrivingrange.ie/

I know it was discussed in some thread here but can’t find it now. Just read up about this, absolutely class looking set up
    I’ll definitely take a trip up from Cork in next few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

benji79 wrote: »
    https://ballyneetydrivingrange.ie/

I know it was discussed in some thread here but can’t find it now. Just read up about this, absolutely class looking set up
    I’ll definitely take a trip up from Cork in next few weeks

Class facility. I'd say time your trip right as the evening queues will be long.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Saw it on Instagram. Looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Class facility. I'd say time your trip right as the evening queues will be long.

Online booking so your slot is booked and paid in advance so it’s very handy for someone travelling a distance.

Could be handy if you were trying out some new clubs and wanted to see spin numbers, distances, etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will be heading to this when i can, even if it is a bit of a drive. Love getting proper feedback at the range, as normally its just hit and forget.

benji79 wrote: »
    Online booking so your slot is booked and paid in advance so it’s very handy for someone travelling a distance.

Could be handy if you were trying out some new clubs and wanted to see spin numbers, distances, etc

That's great. the online booking really appeals to me. Most evenings last year there was a queue there. Was the only part I wasn't looking forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I think it was on the golf weekly podcast that I remember Peter Lawrie talking about the range balls being used with the trackman. Basically, they're not the premium balls that you're using on the course. So the numbers you'll get from a trackman on the range won't tie in with the actual performance from your prov1 or seed or whatever.

So if you're trying to figure out distances, I wonder how useful this will be? If it gives things like angle of attack, slice, off centre hits, etc that would be great. But if it's stuff like ball speed, carry, apex I wonder if it will limit how useful it will be. That won't stop it being fun though which is the main thing.

I'm open to correction though if I'm wrong on how they work.

blue note wrote: »
    I think it was on the golf weekly podcast that I remember Peter Lawrie talking about the range balls being used with the trackman. Basically, they're not the premium balls that you're using on the course. So the numbers you'll get from a trackman on the range won't tie in with the actual performance from your prov1 or seed or whatever.

So if you're trying to figure out distances, I wonder how useful this will be? If it gives things like angle of attack, slice, off centre hits, etc that would be great. But if it's stuff like ball speed, carry, apex I wonder if it will limit how useful it will be. That won't stop it being fun though which is the main thing.

I'm open to correction though if I'm wrong on how they work.

Only gives ball data. It has a feature to adjust the yardages based on a premium ball which should be more in line but don't know how accurate this would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Looks fantastic. Sets a high bar for others to follow now. I wonder if a Pro or range already has a Trackman is the added cost big? I know the range in Ballincollig in Cork has a trackman for lessons etc.
    That range was really busy last year, if they added something like this in the future i think they'd be seriously booked up. Lot of clubs and golfers in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Only gives ball data. It has a feature to adjust the yardages based on a premium ball which should be more in line but don't know how accurate this would be.

Trackman also gives club data too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

11521323 wrote: »
    Trackman also gives club data too.

Trackman range doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only 40 minutes away from me so will give it a try in coming months.

The stats might depress me though :p

Online booking is now set up. Have an hour booked for Tues evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Online booking is now set up. Have an hour booked for Tues evening.

Brilliant, would love to hear how you get on. Also if you know your own distances well will be interesting to see if you find it accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Just had an hour on the TrackMan. Very impressed. Carry distance seemed pretty accurate. Total distance, nah. Not accurate. Make sure to download app and sign up beforehand so can log in straight away. 1hr went very quick, did not use anywhere near the 100balls. Very busy. Would recommend.

Sounds great, once the carry distance is accurate it would be good. Will definately try go there once inter county travel resumes

higster wrote: »
    Just had an hour on the TrackMan. Very impressed. Carry distance seemed pretty accurate. Total distance, nah. Not accurate. Make sure to download app and sign up beforehand so can log in straight away. 1hr went very quick, did not use anywhere near the 100balls. Very busy. Would recommend.

Yeah the 30 yards of roll every shot certainly helps the distances. Thought the irons were fairly accurate but thought the ball conversion setting juiced the driver a bit too much. Had a few 300 yard drives when in reality I know I don't hit it that far. The hour flies, got though the bucket but was probably there for 1hr & 15. Going again this eve so will keep an eye on distances.

Lot of these systems are probably designewd in near perfect conditions in Florida or some place with ideal fairways to get that decent roll, not a soft fairway in West of Ireland where the ball plugs

But once carry distance was pretty accurate i think it would be good to use

big_drive wrote: »
    Lot of these systems are probably designewd in near perfect conditions in Florida or some place with ideal fairways to get that decent roll, not a soft fairway in West of Ireland where the ball plugs

But once carry distance was pretty accurate i think it would be good to use

Yeah 100%.

I found that even picking a certain flag on the screen makes you concentrate more on the shot. When the screen isn't there i'd go from aiming at a target to just trying to blast it anywhere. Also the virtual course it pretty good as it makes you use the full bag and try different shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Really looking forward to trying this.

I see the indoor range is now just for GUI holders. Think its a pitty as it is a great way for non golfers to be introduced to the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

My uncle is one of the pros down there. Setup looks top notch. They definitely have set the bar now. Looking forward to using it when I go down

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DuffMan147

It's great, I've been a couple of times already. It is really nice to get the live data, I was launching the ball fairly high so nice to be able to see that and fix it. Pity it can't spot all the other faults in my swing ha.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As a member of Athlone GC I've reciprocal playing rights at Ballyneety so played it yesterday. Was most impressed and never saw the range on the way in or from the clubhouse, looked super stuff. Great clubhouse, great course with super variety of holes and amazing practice facilities, just wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Funnily enough I was playing there yesterday for a GAA Classic and thought same - Hadn’t played there in years

I’d say when the greens are back to normal they’ll be unreal

Some serious walking in the front 9 - Can imagine older people struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Does the trackman range have the same issues as Palmerstown in terms of wrong distances?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement