Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex at retail prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

They do though. If say a Porsche dealer was allocated a single limited edition model, do you think they would sell it to a whoever was first in the door or someone who has been a regular customer over the years?

Right that's it, when I'm replacing my 04 Ford Fiesta I won't be trading it in for a Porsche. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Is this a peculiarly Irish thing or are you telling me that when travel opens up that if I rocked up to the Rolex shop in T2 at LHR that they wouldn't want to sell me a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »

Definatly,

Fitz is H, H is Fitz!
    OMG :eek:
    lineofdutytypo-c076.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=480%2C389
    No wonder all the high end watches!
    Shifting cash for the OCG ;)

Only messing, we all know snitches get stitches!
    Tho Fitz could sort out the teeth :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

basill wrote: »
    Is this a peculiarly Irish thing or are you telling me that when travel opens up that if I rocked up to the Rolex shop in T2 at LHR that they wouldn't want to sell me a watch?

its not that they don't want to sell you a watch, they just don't want to sell you THAT watch. They will happily flog some two-tone datejust your way.
    Its supply and demand, if they had a warehouse of them out the back I am sure they'll send one your way but thats unlikely to be the case. Most good ADs are meant to only display whats actually for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

banie01 wrote: »
    Aww man!
    I was just about to offer him the 3 figure sum he originally paid for it :P

Other than that tho, I agree with everything you said.

No way he paid three figures for it unless in bad second hand condition. In 1998, these were already above £1,000 Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

Marcusm wrote: »
    No way he paid three figures for it unless in bad second hand condition. In 1998, these were already above £1,000 Sterling.

And discounts were available I am sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pretty poor form to wade in and call someone a liar IMO.
    He's lain out what he paid, and even at 1k+ pricing discount scope was no doubt quite generous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They do though. If say a Porsche dealer was allocated a single limited edition model, do you think they would sell it to a whoever was first in the door or someone who has been a regular customer over the years?
    Porsche themselves have mulled leasing limited edition cars to avoid them being flipped or dealers cashing in.
    Yep the high end car crowd have been at this for years. Ferrari pretty much started this back in the day. Enzo would only sell his road cars to those he deemed "worthy"(and who would advertise the brand for him), which of course increased the cache no end. Though when he was first trying to get a foothold in the US that went out the window and it was whoever had the cash. You can have the same going on with women's handbags that cost eleventy million pounds. Standard operating marketing procedure to push the luxury, you're really special stuff among your customer base. It works on those who end up with the item and trickles down to those who aspire to own said item. Constrain supply and voila! Rolex have played it extremely well over the last few years. First they upped the RRP's, then constrained supply and turned a mid tier watch brand that had near zero penetration outside of Britain and her commonwealth into the worldwide luxury brand behemoth it is today, and did it with steel watches. They had some cache, though somewhat dubious a one back in the day, but it was gold or two tone bling to wideboys, potentates and suburban accountants.

Now you hear that Audemars Piguet with their Royal Oak and later Patek with their near clone brought "luxury" to the steel watch market, but in reality AP took most of the 1970's to sell off their first thousand or so Royal Oaks and Patek's sales were still mostly gold dress watches. Royal Oaks and Nautilus' are very high profile over the last few years, but in the 70's 80's and 90's and well into the 00's they were way off the radar. You just didn't see them. However Rolex were plugging away throughout. Yeah the two tones and bling were the big sellers but the steel subs were a consistent seller and they leveraged that into the steel costs more and is luxury today. The Rolex in steel is the luxury watch for the vast majority of people.

While I struggle to think of another Swiss big watch brand that innovated less*, Rolex are without any shadow of a doubt the finest marketing machine of knowing what their customer base wants and have been since they were founded. They're one of the finest marketing outfit of any brand full stop. That is not easy to be and to be that good for that length of time.

*even here they have convinced the majority of their customer base, potential and actual, from newbs to many collectors that they essentially invented the modern wristwatch. Better yet they pulled that incredible trick off without saying a word on the matter themselves. They let others do the talking. They haven't pushed the innovation angle since the 1930's pretty much. They were nobodies in the chronometer trials, yet have "Superlative Chronometer"(which is a trademark) on the dial and again are seen as the chronometer brand.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RRP and back then there was a lot more wriggle room on haggling and discounts than today. I remember my dad buying a Longines that was in the in thing back in the 80's and "bloody expensive" for the time and he got enough off the RRP to be able to say "I got the purchase price of a half decent watch off the price in the window". I have no doubt that an Omega that RRP'd at say 1200 quid could be had for 900 with some horse trading. Never mind that prices varied depending where you bought them. Duty free sales for a start. Prices in Dublin would have been higher than say Madrid and lower than Paris. That again was a touch of genius from Rolex as they were very active in insisting the prices were very close no matter where in the world you bought one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

What other luxury item would consumers put up with this type of **** to buy?.
    • High end cars
    • Hermes Bag
    • Gucci bags and Shoes
    • Limited edition trainers
    • High end gaming graphics cards
    • Desirable Property
    • Fine wines
    • Art
    • Certain concert and sporting event tickets

Its actually super common in the luxury space, because you are selling something people dont need, they have to want it. And nothing creates want more than being told you cant have it.

• Advertisement

Aye, if you truly want to see how far the luxury rabbit hole goes go no further than the art market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I clearly posted what I paid for the watch, £925.
    I don’t remember the exact year but it will be on the omega warranty card.

There was and possibly still is a street in Newcastle with a number of dealers, I went into each dealer explaining I would buy off whoever gave me the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I was curious myself so here’s the date of sale.

Yep you can tell the date alright N, the boxes weren't as fancy as then before box opening vids on youtube. :D Though the 1950's gave the best box in my humble...

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep you can tell the date alright N, the boxes weren't as fancy as then before box opening vids on youtube. :D Though the 1950's gave the best box in my humble...

Modern Omega boxes take it too far....they are nice, but I wish they were half the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Joined the waiting list for an Oyster Perpetual today ;) I was told by a kind Weirs & Sons sales rep that I'll likely be waiting 2 years :) Lol. Do you think I'll ever hear back from him?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Joined the waiting list for an Oyster Perpetual today ;) I was told by a kind Weirs & Sons sales rep that I'll likely be waiting 2 years :) Lol. Do you think I'll ever hear back from him?

Two years on a OP.....wow times have changed. Only 24 months ago the windows always had a lonely airking and a few OP hanging around, with the promise of a GMT if you bought one.

When we start to see ads for Rolex financing that'll be another bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

banie01 wrote: »
    Fitz is H, H is Fitz!
    OMG :eek:
    lineofdutytypo-c076.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=480%2C389
    No wonder all the high end watches!
    Shifting cash for the OCG ;)

Only messing, we all know snitches get stitches!
    Tho Fitz could sort out the teeth :P

First thing I thought as well Banie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,840 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hate to break it to you, but there is no meaningful waiting list. If you don't spend any serious money in Weir's on other stuff, you will never get your Rolex. Not even an Oyster Perpetual.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but there is no meaningful waiting list. If you don't spend any serious money in Weir's on other stuff, you will never get your Rolex. Not even an Oyster Perpetual.

Hahah their loss I guess! I fail to see how that could be a successful business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

They're still there in fairness :D

Hahah their loss I guess! I fail to see how that could be a successful business model.

Cause they let people buy them as a reward / incentive for spending big on other watches and jewlery. If you went in and said you wanted a Gold perpetual calendar JLC and a Rolex OP it would appear very quickly.

Bundling is a great business model.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Cause they let people buy them as a reward / incentive for spending big on other watches and jewlery. If you went in and said you wanted a Gold perpetual calendar JLC and a Rolex OP it would appear very quickly.

Bundling is a great business model.

If that's the case then they'll be out of business before too long imo.

That sort of approach may have worked in the past but young people nowadays lose interest if they don't get what they want, when they want it.

If the particular Rolex OP that I wanted was for sale online, I would have bought it there and then. Realistically, I'll want a different watch in 2 years time.

It would make more sense for them to establish relationships with young professionals who will likely have more expensive tastes down the line as their salaries +++.

We'll agree to disagree!

It would make more sense for them to establish relationships with young professionals who will likely have more expensive tastes down the line as their salaries +++.
    That's the big issue for the Swiss watch industry, especially at the luxury pricing end. The vast majority of Rolex buyers are middle aged or older*. Now the current hype is getting some attention from the younger demographic(for all the rolling of eyes he gets the Pride and Pinion guy and those like him are appealing to them), but will it sustain itself until they get to a point in their lives when they're middle aged and where they'll drop ten grand on a steel dive watch. Rolex and others are appealing to the women's market too, or trying to. In the hope of opening that segment up to the luxury mechanical watch. A segment that has largely pretty much ignored the return of it in the 90's and when women do buy watches even high end expensive stuff they're far more likely to go with the convenience of quartz.

I don't see any chance of Rolex being in trouble any time soon, or the Swiss industry for that matter, but this is currently a peak for them and the market will soften as guys age, or get the watches they want and leave the hobby/madness.

*I'd say similar in the vintage segment too. The majority are middle aged and up. Guys who started collecting in their 30's who are still around now in their 50's and 60's. You see few enough in their 20's(that aren't dealers or watch journos or "influencers") around the web.

We'll agree to disagree!

Its not a matter of that, its agreeing about reality or arguing about it. The watch you want is out there online no problem if you want it, it will just cost more. Sometimes double retail on certain dials. There are loads and loads and loads of people who can afford these watches, having the money is nothing special.

Courting young professional is well and good, but they cant provide the older professionals like me with the watches I want as it stands cause they are catering for the much older professionals and actually rich people.

There is a nice 41mm OP on adverts at the moment blue dial for 7700 only a couple of grand over retail is you are willing to pay. If your not then you have to play the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

If that's the case then they'll be out of business before too long imo.

Well, its worked well for them up till now.
    Have to remember they sell (make) more than just SS Submariners and GMTs, apparently 1m+ a year infact. Plenty of which are ladies Datejusts etc or others in PMs that go for a hell of a lot more than the SS. Plus they have their sister company, Tudor, as a "cheaper" brand, thats more available. Even covid doesn't seem to be changing their long term plans. Probably not selling many in airports anymore...
    Long, long term who knows!
    The future might be social media influerences instead of celebrities of old. But have you noticed what watches a lot of them own? or want to own?

If the particular Rolex OP that I wanted was for sale online, I would have bought it there and then. Realistically, I'll want a different watch in 2 years time.

Here you go, you'll have one by next week.
    We'll agree to disagree!
    But one thing we can all agree one, they sure as fúck know how to market them!
    ask ANYONE, a watch brand, anywhere in the world and take a guess the first name they'll say.

They won't provide the professionals like you is the more accurate. They're doing a DeBeers and constraining supply. It's an entirely artificial lack of supply decided upon by meetings in Rolex HQ. And fair enough and fair bloody play to them, because clearly it works, but that's the actual reality of it. They produce around a million watches per year. Their figures are deliberately fuzzy as part of their marketing, but this is not a small outfit hand fettling one offs in some leafy artisanal setting. They could quite easily ramp up what is an extremely industrial process and supply the market's needs, but that would affect their luxury cache in the eyes of their market and devalue the brand. So they won't.

And yes for those who want to buy into the game the reality certainly is if you're willing to pay way over the odds on a watch that is already overpriced by every metric but the price of the ink on the dial you can get one, but you're paying for that smoke and mirrors. Begging to pay Ferrari money for a high spec Ford. Hey if that's what floats the oul boat great too, but talk of overall realities isn't nearly so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,840 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That sort of approach may have worked in the past but young people nowadays lose interest if they don't get what they want, when they want it.

I agree. Delayed gratification seems to have disappeared pretty much entirely from the generation who have recently become adults and anyone younger than that. They need not fear though. They can have whatever Rolex they want, when they want it. It will cost a few thousand more than at the Rolex dealers though.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I agree. Delayed gratification seems to have disappeared pretty much entirely from the generation who have recently become adults and anyone younger than that.
    I'd say it started way before them, just in other areas. A chap in his 80's I know into gardening all his life noted this during the celtic tiger. Whereas people before from the very rich with acreages of gardens to the not so well heeled with a small garden measured in feet would build up a garden over years, decades, even lifetimes, planting seeds and seedlings and letting them grow, the Celtic cubs were into instant gardens, pregrown plants, even pregrown trees so they didn't have to wait. Similar was and is still going on with house renovations. Buy gaff, then add to the mortgage to have instant McMansion, rather than adding to things over the years. Those cubs are mostly in their fifties now.

It's an interesting phenomenon this delayed gratification. The old almost always consider the lack of it a fault of the young, but it isn't. It's usually, but certainly not always a feature of flashing the cash, which can be humble or decadent depending on the target it's aimed at. I've seen guys getting into the vintage thing show up on various forums and just go nuts over a very short period of time, instant collections type of thing, from cheap Swatches to house price Pateks and all points in between. Online arenas like forums, facebook and especially youtube and instagram feed this need for ever new wrist "content". It weaponises both the very human collecting hoarding need and the very human need for display and status.

I'd be worse than most on the hoarding angle :D and if I were to do a Tube channel I reckon I'd have maybe 6 or so vids in me as far as themes would go. I reckon Fitz' idea of looking to other guy's watches in the forum is a great idea. Import the madness. :D

Advertisement