Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attic conversion - opinions / tips

Options
  • 23-04-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Attic conversion
    Did some rough sketches so it’s bedroom in the centre with an office to the front and ensuite / dressing room at the back
    I’m def a lay person when it comes to a build so looking for any tips or opinions on the feasibility of layout, getting natural light in, heating. TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ftm2008 wrote: »
    Attic conversion
    Did some rough sketches so it’s bedroom in the centre with an office to the front and ensuite / dressing room at the back
    I’m def a lay person when it comes to a build so looking for any tips or opinions on the feasibility of layout, getting natural light in, heating. TIA.

Must be a big attic to fit all that in under the roof.

Have you got a photo of what your house looks like outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

I don’t but it’s 3 bed semi D and the roof is high pitched..
    a number other houses in the estate have 2 attic rooms to front and back but I’m looking to do it differently
    measurements are included if helps

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

How are you getting light into the bedroom? Velux?

If It was me I would swap the ensuite and walk in wardrobe around, so you go through the walk in wardrobe to get to the ensuite. We have that in our house and the flow works quite well

Would you consider dumping the walk in wardrobe, reduce office size and move ensuite over beside offce thus giving a larger bedroom space?

ec_pc wrote: »
    How are you getting light into the bedroom? Velux?

If It was me I would swap the ensuite and walk in wardrobe around, so you go through the walk in wardrobe to get to the ensuite. We have that in our house and the flow works quite well

Would you consider dumping the walk in wardrobe, reduce office size and move ensuite over beside offce thus giving a larger bedroom space?

Velux for windows (or keylight im hearing is equal but lower cost)
    I was planning on putting one directly over the shower .. saw a photo of this and it really liked the idea

interesting ...i had a door far end to go to wardrobe then into ensuite but i changed ... i wanted to push the door to the end of the room away from the top of the bed for space reasons but i might revisit

dumping the walk in wardrobe is an option ... i guess i like the idea of segregating them .. and nice to walk from bedroom to dressing area ..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

section please with a few dimensions

• Advertisement

I don’t but it’s 3 bed semi D and the roof is high pitched..
    a number other houses in the estate have 2 attic rooms to front and back but I’m looking to do it differently
    measurements are included if helps

I see the dimensions but are those dimensions taken from wall to wall?
    You physically won’t have the space around the edges for rooms.

I think youve overestimated the actual useable floor space if it’s a typical Dublin 3 bed semi, even with high pitch roof planes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks very optimistic for a 3 bed semi even with a high roof pitch? Unless your family are mice?

Ok so appears i am been overly optimistic.. looks like I’ll have to rethink this

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

And looking at the dimensions, how usable will a walk in wardrobe room of 1.6 x 2 m be? You won't fit many wardrobes in that space, really would be better given back to bed room or else the en suite.

When we were extending, my wife couldn't envisage the sizes of the rooms so I marked them all out in the back garden with builders twine and then she could see the size of the rooms and we made some changes then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ok so appears i am been overly optimistic.. looks like I’ll have to rethink this

What I would suggest is go up to your attic and stand in front of where you have proposed wc and see what happens? If you can stand in front of of the proposed wc location, you are on to a winner of plan! We all suspect that you would be lucky to be able to even crawl to that location!

• Advertisement

thanks for the constructive comments..
    @DOCARCH - where the wc is and by standing in front I may have enough room to stand depending how high the floor is raised.. roof is a standard truss roof so where the W truss starts is approx 5ft with crawl space beyond
    height from floor to ridge is prob 15ft unmeasured

@wc_pc .. nice idea..

@BryanF what dimensions you looking for

@Gumbo - yea i may have miscalculated but I dont think im that far off making maybe 1 of the eaves possible.. or at least hoping :)

thanks for the constructive comments..
    @DOCARCH - where the wc is and by standing in front I may have enough room to stand depending how high the floor is raised.. roof is a standard truss roof so where the W truss starts is approx 5ft with crawl space beyond
    height from floor to ridge is prob 15ft unmeasured

@wc_pc .. nice idea..

@BryanF what dimensions you looking for

@Gumbo - yea i may have miscalculated but I dont think im that far off making maybe 1 of the eaves possible.. or at least hoping :)

Still think your misunderstanding the dimensions and what’s possible.
    I do t think it can be done.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Still think your misunderstanding the dimensions and what’s possible.
    I do t think it can be done.
    ok thats fair .. what then could i expect to be usuable dimensions?

ok thats fair .. what then could i expect to be usuable dimensions?

Show a picture of the house. We would learn a lot from that.
    Show a section through the attic space with dimensions.

You say a typical 3 bed semi. If that’s the case, what you’ve sketched won’t work or fit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

BryanF wrote: »
    section please with a few dimensions

Stand in the centre of the attic and measure from ridge (top of sectional triangle) to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Def_IRL

Attic conversion

Is that proposed as a dormer?
    Remember planning will only allow you build a dormer out to a maximum of 50% of the overall width of the roof, and it must also be at least 1mtr off any adjacent neighbouring roof plane boundaries.
    They don't like Mansards either, so the dormer has to be stepped back in (by about three roof tiles).

BryanF wrote: »
    Stand in the centre of the attic and measure from ridge (top of sectional triangle) to the floor.
    Its approx 3.3m

Def_IRL wrote: »
    Is that proposed as a dormer?
    Remember planning will only allow you build a dormer out to a maximum of 50% of the overall width of the roof, and it must also be at least 1mtr off any adjacent neighbouring roof plane boundaries.
    They don't like Mansards either, so the dormer has to be stepped back in (by about three roof tiles).
    not a dormer... i am looking to maximise the amount of usable space int he attic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

See attached PDF screenshot of typical 3 bed semi-d attic conversion.
    You will only get 1 room plus bathroom or storage area.

ongarite wrote: »
    See attached PDF screenshot of typical 3 bed semi-d attic conversion.
    You will only get 1 room plus bathroom or storage area.
    thanks... looks like this maybe the way I have to go.. bedroom looks like it has plenty room for wardrobe.. may need to drop a little offfice room

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Show a picture of the house. We would learn a lot from that.
    Show a section through the attic space with dimensions.

You say a typical 3 bed semi. If that’s the case, what you’ve sketched won’t work or fit.
    not sure if this is what you were looking for ... I was tring to put a shower to the back and a desk to work from at to the front.
    seems that it aint gonna be posssible :)

not sure if this is what you were looking for ... I was tring to put a shower to the back and a desk to work from at to the front.
    seems that it aint gonna be posssible :)

You’ll get a fantastic attic conversion up there.
    You just won’t get all those rooms you posted in the OP.

Will need need an engineer or architect for top up mortgage
    Which would be the better option overall

Advertisement