Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

jellybear wrote: »
    If you need an independent taste tester, I'll happily volunteer :D

Completely agree with people re chocolate biscuit cake. I really dislike it...husband loves it so we compromised with rocky road as one of our tiers. At least with that there's a bit more texture and taste. You guys all have me wanting cake now!:P

Oh I've plenty of volunteers, my future in-laws are within our 5k so I've started out on the right foot with them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

Eireog1 wrote: »
    You will be surprised how much cake is left over so you will want something that holds fresh for a while. We did Chocolate biscuit cake and fruit cake and a lemon sponge. I love Christmas cake as do all my family so it was easy to use it afterwards. I told the hotel to use all the sponge as I knew it wouldn't hold.

We had over 300 at our wedding and still had half the fruit and over have the chocolate biscuit cake left over and it wasn't a massive cake think it was 12 inch 10 inch and 8 inch.

We actually ended up with very little left over. We had 100 guests and the cake was demolished! The top tier of red velvet was gone in the blink of an eye, didn't get to taste it! Had some of the chocolate layer left and a tiny bit of lemon sponge.

Funniest moment of the wedding was my husband breaking the fancy cake cutter (wasn't really a sharp knife) when we tried to cut the bottom rice krispie layer! So be careful cutting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Definitely chocolate biscuit, went down an absolute treat at our wedding! Bitta sugar to boost everyone.

Also second lemon drizzle its just gorgeous. Pretty sure a few of my friends did the three layers of chocolate biscuit con bottom, lemon drizzle and carrot cake! Something for everyone...

I love love chocolate biscuit cake. We are just going with a sponge though, two tiers. I think. There are some absolutely beautiful looking cakes out there, real works of art.

Actually something I notice, I contacted a bakery to see if they were available but in the end they took so long to get back to me I went with someone else. They were very active on Instagram though. Same thing happened with another supplier, weeks went by and nothing but posting away on social media.

Just something I found interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Reporting back after tasting ALL the cake! Funny story, she actually gave us the wrong box the first time... she was very apologetic and gave us a second box for free. It actually worked out well for us though, because we got to try more flavours than originally planned and try some we really liked for a second time :o

I'll start with the ones we've decided NOT to go for:
    - Choc fudge with choc buttercream or vanilla buttercream
    This tasted nice and I'd happily eat it, but I wouldn't write home about it. I'm very fussy about chocolate fudge cake, so I wouldn't pick it unless I was completely blow away by it.
    - Red velvet & white choc
    This was one we received in error. It was fine... as some people said here, more of a modern version that's basically just plain sponged died red (and white chocolate and buttercream). It was a bit plain for our tastes though.
    - Salted caramel with homemade caramel & light caramel buttercream
    This one was really disappointing actually. The homemade caramel had a very strong overpowering flavour. More bitter than sweet... we actually think it might have been slightly burnt :/
    - Orange chocolate biscuit cake
    This was another one we received in error. I quite liked it, but Mr. Woodchuck doesn't like orange chocolate, so won't be opting for that one.

And now the 3 flavours we really like and are trying to whittle down to 2:-
    - Lemon drizzle with homemade lemon curd & light vanilla buttercream
    This one was really nice and didn't disappoint. The sponge was moist and zesty. The lemon curd was divine and the buttercream helped balance the whole thing out so that it wasn't too zingy.
    - Raspberry sponge with light white choc + raspberry buttercream
    I really liked this one too. The sponge was a very subtle flavour of raspberry and a little bit of white chocolate through it. There was raspberry jam, which we weren't expecting. And the raspberry buttercream was nicely flavoured too. If you didn't know what you were eating (we actually didn't the first time, because we were confused by getting the wrong box and weren't expecting any with jam), you might think it was just a plain sponge with jam and buttercream. But there's definitely something extra here that elevates it above the norm!
    - Traditional half dark / half milk chocolate biscuit, with some maltesers, twix and marshmallows thrown into the mix
    We really liked this one. It was just as it sounds tbh! A good chocolate biscuit cake, but with a little something extra with a few rocky road bits thrown in (but was still primarily biscuit cake).

We're only going to have 2 tiers, so now we're just trying to pick between the last 3 flavours! We're pretty certain we'll go for the lemon drizzle, so we're just trying to decide between the raspberry and chocolate biscuit now. I feel like the 2 sponge flavours are a bit more "special", but maybe it's a bit redundant to have 2 sponges? Maybe 1 sponge and 1 chocolate biscuit will give more variety to please most people? I could see us being leftover with a LOT of cake either way though... one tier would probably do, but I really want two :P Chocolate biscuit is probably more practical because it keeps longer and we're more likely to pick away at that than sponge cake after the wedding... but I'm surprised by a lot of the negativity it received here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

can you not go with all 3?

if not, then perhaps the choc biscuit as you seemed to really want it.. and you obv love the lemon drizzle.. (i'd prefer the raspberry one over the choc biscuit but its your wedding lol)..

We can't really just justify 3 tiers I don't think... we're only expecting to have up to 50 guests. Two tiers is already pushing it I think :P I suppose could talk to the baker though and see if there is any way to swing 3 tiers for 50 guests though...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We kept the second largest tier on our wedding cake - we had 4 tiers, 2 biggest were chocolate biscuit, tier 3 was carrot and walnut and tier 4 was lemon sponge. We had way more cake than we needed but it was nice to be able to enjoy a bit of it with a cuppa after the wedding. Chocolate biscuit freezes really well, so we sliced it up and froze it and defrosted as needed. It was great :pac:

i really think those 3 would be prefect..mayb you could go with smaller dimensions of each.. and as another poster said, you could have some the day after/ freeze what you don't use - would be so nice to have some at a later date - like 1 month after.. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

We’re having 3 tiers for a July wedding, might be only 25 (fingers crossed for 50!!) but I still wanted a ”proper” wedding cake because I love cake :)
    Check with your baker how well the sponge/buttercream freezes, but if you expect to have a lot left over, choc biscuit is probably a safer bet!

• Advertisement

Worth asking your baker if they would do 3 smaller tiers woodchuck? I know my friend was having a 12" bottom tier for her big wedding, but we're having a 9" bottom tier with 25/50 because I want the three tiers for both look and variety of flavours. Most cake freezes pretty well if it comes to it too!

Worth asking your baker if they would do 3 smaller tiers woodchuck? I know my friend was having a 12" bottom tier for her big wedding, but we're having a 9" bottom tier with 25/50 because I want the three tiers for both look and variety of flavours. Most cake freezes pretty well if it comes to it too!

Thanks for the tip! I asked our baker and she can do a 3 tier cake with a 9" bottom tier, but it will feed approximately 80 people. Realistically, we'll probably only have 40-50 guests and I know not everyone eats cake (and probably even less will if there's still a curfew of 11.30pm). So there would be a TON leftover!

Whereas the 2 tier cake sounds much more reasonable for our numbers... so we might just have to decide which 1 of the 3 flavours to cut :/

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip! I asked our baker and she can do a 3 tier cake with a 9" bottom tier, but it will feed approximately 80 people. Realistically, we'll probably only have 40-50 guests and I know not everyone eats cake (and probably even less will if there's still a curfew of 11.30pm). So there would be a TON leftover!

Whereas the 2 tier cake sounds much more reasonable for our numbers... so we might just have to decide which 1 of the 3 flavours to cut :/

After the year you've had with postponing your wedding numerous times would you not just go mad and have the three flavours you want? That way there is no deciding on what to cut? Send your guests home with cake or cut it up for family the next day.

cant26 wrote: »
    After the year you've had with postponing your wedding numerous times would you not just go mad and have the three flavours you want? That way there is no deciding on what to cut? Send your guests home with cake or cut it up for family the next day.

Lol we might alright :D

I think I'm using that excuse too much lately though... I'm even starting to consider getting a videographer now, which I swore I never wanted 🙈

I'd nearly stick with the three if it's not crazy money, but I have completely disregarded the cost of cake since I'm making mine so fair enough if it can't be justified! Serving sizes for wedding cake can be small enough I find, we're thinking of cutting ours early and serving with the canapés and then if there's any left we can have that with evening food. Although not sure what the story will be with evening food if there's still a cutoff of 11.30...

Although not sure what the story will be with evening food if there's still a cutoff of 11.30...

Yeah I'm not sure what approach to take there either! I doubt many people will want evening food if they don't need it to fuel themselves for a late night ahead. And they'll probably still be full from dinner anyway. I was thinking maybe we could JUST do cake in the evening - a nice sweet treat for whoever wants it, without being too filling on top of evening food (and more people would be likely to eat the cake I think!). Or maybe something light like crisp sandwiches.

Oh yeah that would be really nice, like a little bonus dessert before heading home!

i'm not married.. but Q - why don't couples use their wedding cake as the desert? Esp in these covid times.. might solve the left over cake issue?

sporina wrote: »
    i'm not married.. but Q - why don't couples use their wedding cake as the desert? Esp in these covid times.. might solve the left over cake issue?

Some people do, but it's not that common in my experience.

Tbh, I just love desserts AND cake and want both :) And I want people to have a choice too (not everyone likes cake, but they might like other desserts).

Also, most places include dessert in the menu (but not an actual wedding cake). But people still like to have a wedding cake on display and so they can do an official cake cutting.

Some people do, but it's not that common in my experience.

Tbh, I just love desserts AND cake and want both :) And I want people to have a choice too (not everyone likes cake, but they might like other desserts).

Also, most places include dessert in the menu (but not an actual wedding cake). But people still like to have a wedding cake on display and so they can do an official cake cutting.

era hard to please everyone.. some might not like the deserts on offer either..

but if I wer to get wed in covid times, I think i would do it.. I am sure an arrangement could be reached with the hotel re: the menu..

• Advertisement

Well I'm hoping for 50 guests by September, which isn't too far off our original numbers. So Covid times or not, I still want my dessert AND cake :)

I'm not really sure what difference Covid makes when it comes to cake anyway, other than maybe the size of the cake if people have had to reduce their guestlist.

I am sure an arrangement could be reached with the hotel re: the menu..

It's difficult to negotiate after the contract has been signed. If desserts are already included in the price, then it'd be a waste not to serve them.

A cake is one of very few things that has been unaffected in trying to plan a Covid wedding so I'd be inclined to keep it as well!

Well I'm hoping for 50 guests by September, which isn't too far off our original numbers. So Covid times or not, I still want my dessert AND cake :)

I'm not really sure what difference Covid makes when it comes to cake anyway, other than maybe the size of the cake if people have had to reduce their guestlist.
    It's difficult to negotiate after the contract has been signed. If desserts are already included in the price, then it'd be a waste not to serve them.

oh i thought you couldn't have 3 tiers cos you wer worried about having too much left over as less guests with covid? in any event, I wasn't suggesting you do this now as I know you would have your meal plan arranged..

oh yeah I know - I meant if I was planning a wedding in covid times perhaps.. ie: before meal plan arranged.. (if numbers had to be reduced and I was worried about too much cake left over etc.. i would consider having the cake as desert)

so are you gonna go with the 3 tiers now that you think you will have your initial no of guests?

Haven't made a decision yet on 2 vs 3 tier.

2 tier makes more sense for the number of guests we'll have.

But we could just say f-it and go for the 3 tier and eat leftover wedding cake from the freezer for months :D

Still have a bit of time to decide anyway :)

Haven't made a decision yet on 2 vs 3 tier.

2 tier makes more sense for the number of guests we'll have.

But we could just say f-it and go for the 3 tier and eat leftover wedding cake from the freezer for months :D

Still have a bit of time to decide anyway :)

weren't you going with 3 at the start of the thread?

weren't you going with 3 at the start of the thread?

No, I always assumed we'd probably get a 2 tiered cake. But I started the thread because I was trying to figure out what flavours to pick for the tasting box. We knew 2 of the 5 we wanted to try, and were trying to decide the other 3 flavours to taste. (sorry, don't know if I'm explaining that well!)

But it turns out we really like 3 of the flavours we tasted, which is why I'm now considering getting 3 tiers instead of 2 :)

No, I always assumed we'd probably get a 2 tiered cake. But I started the thread because I was trying to figure out what flavours to pick for the tasting box. We knew 2 of the 5 we wanted to try, and were trying to decide the other 3 flavours to taste. (sorry, don't know if I'm explaining that well!)

But it turns out we really like 3 of the flavours we tasted, which is why I'm now considering getting 3 tiers instead of 2 :)

awe ok - got ya.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Go with 3, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

Also get the videographer :)

Advertisement