Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car import vat from UK

Options
  • 24-04-2021 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So I'm looking to import a car from the UK.
    I plan on using eirtrans or another company.
    Just waiting on quotes
    I don't plan on registering it here and paying VRT.
    I am using this car as parts car for one i already have.

I have no experience with this though, reading online, doing this requires VAT/VRT and customs charges.

Will i be paying these if I don't register it?
    I presume VAT & Customs. Will this be incorporated into the quote given by eirtrans?
    Anybody enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scrubbed

Also, I have family in england.
    If i got it registered with them over there, would this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

I think technically you should be paying VRT but anyway

I think you could drive the car off a ferry or on the back of a transport truck and not have to pay VAT right away. I think you have 30 days to pay it for UK imports. Obviously you just wouldn’t pay it.

Cars from Japan can’t leave the port until you pay

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The only way really would be to take it apart over in the UK and leave the shell there and bring the bits over. You’ll probably still get caught for some kind of customs.

Unless you’re a garage (or know a garage) you can’t bring it in anymore without paying VRT, nevermind customs and VAT.

So VRT will have to be paid regardless?

What about if it was registered to somebody in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,918 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The only path I could see to not paying VRT would be if you could declare the car as scrap in the UK and bring it over as a non functional car.

You'd likely need some sort of certificate to say the car is scrap and won't be driven on the roads

Obviously in this case you probably couldn't drive it over as that would kind of give the game away :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

VRT is only needed if you want to drive it on the road. VAT will be required as it's coming from outside the EU, cost would need to included shipping amount.

VRT is only needed if you want to drive it on the road. VAT will be required as it's coming from outside the EU, cost would need to included shipping amount.

So I can avoid paying VRT if this car wont be driven on the road?
    And the VAT will be included in the importation/shipping price?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Technically not true as once it’s a mechanically propelled vehicle (ie capable of propulsion) then VRT is due as a result of importation even if it was only going to be rallied around a field. It’s unlawful to possess an unregistered vehicle without a TAN number. As he is using an importer, there will be a Revenue record of the importation. It it’s only going to be used for parts then the sensible thing would be to remove the engine before importation. Ship it separately, not capable of propulsion = not capable of being registered, ie no VRT liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

OP no one is going to come knocking at your door looking for a VRT payment. Just don’t drive it on public roads

Advertisement