Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nickel sulphite inclusion

Options
  • 24-04-2021 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭

We had a scary moment recently when our 2m x 1m inner roof light pane made a tremendous bang and shattered. Less than 1 minute later the whole inner pane dropped out everywhere. Scary and luckily no one was hurt. It was installed 2016. The manufacturer and installer (same) said this is nickel inclusion and does happen!

How frequently does this occur? Why is this glass not laminated as standard? Has anyone any similar stories? Still in shock at what has happened.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Frequency: seems to be ‘batch’ based.
    Toughened and heat soaked reduces the chances, but thats expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If it's a Velux window it may be part of a faulty batch that are currently being replaced by the company. I'll post a link later when I'm on the desktop pc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look at this notice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

muffler wrote: »
    Have a look at this notice

Thanks. It's not this make but a bigger issue than the industry wants to let on I suspect? Is there anybody you would report a fault like this too? Or is it just kept nice and quiet. Especially as we are being told we must pay for the replacement and there is no guarantee against this fault.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

the fine print on most window supplier contracts will make reference to nickel sulphate not being covered. This is a glass industry issue, not a window manufacturer issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Lantus wrote: »
    Thanks. It's not this make but a bigger issue than the industry wants to let on I suspect? Is there anybody you would report a fault like this too? Or is it just kept nice and quiet. Especially as we are being told we must pay for the replacement and there is no guarantee against this fault.

The inner pane should have been a laminate to contain someone falling through and also to prevent glass falling on someone from a height, whilst yes the warranty would not cover nsi and the subsequent breakage, I would suggest the original spec was incorrect and therefore should be replaced FOC at a minimum, also any temporary works should be covered too FOC. IMHO they could be open to compensation in this instance. Ask them what regulation/En standard their specified glass complied with at the time of construction.

Advertisement