Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading into 4th year of college and unsure what to do next

Options
  • 23-04-2021 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I’m 21 and heading into my final year of a business degree in September. Recently I’ve realised that this isn’t the career trajectory I want to take, although I consider the education I have received to be invaluable even from a personal finance perspective. I had thought about a masters programme but have decided against it.

I’ve recently applied for and been accepted into a fairly competitive apprenticeship programme. While it has nothing to do with my degree it’s something I’ve always been interested in and I’m hesitant to turn it down.

My question is, am I insane to drop out when I only have 1 year left of the degree? Given the covid situation, would it be practicable to do college remotely while also completing the first year of my apprenticeship, taking annual leave days to sit exams?

I guess it’s not a big deal to leave the apprenticeship until after college. While I’ve been toying with the idea for a while of doing an apprenticeship after college, I think my feelings have grown stronger after the last year of being stuck at home doing college.

Any words of wisdom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Try to get the degree finished if at all possible. Lots of jobs these days need masters degrees which are harder/impossible to get into without a bachelors degree. You never know where you might be at age 40 that means you need that degree. The hard work is done, it’s a shame to waste the three years you have done- get the final year finished then start the apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Don't drop out. Get the degree. Being a young person in the world today without a degree is a great hinderance. You can do the apprenticeship later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I’m 21 and heading into my final year of a business degree in September. Recently I’ve realised that this isn’t the career trajectory I want to take, although I consider the education I have received to be invaluable even from a personal finance perspective. I had thought about a masters programme but have decided against it.

I’ve recently applied for and been accepted into a fairly competitive apprenticeship programme. While it has nothing to do with my degree it’s something I’ve always been interested in and I’m hesitant to turn it down.

My question is, am I insane to drop out when I only have 1 year left of the degree? Given the covid situation, would it be practicable to do college remotely while also completing the first year of my apprenticeship, taking annual leave days to sit exams?

I guess it’s not a big deal to leave the apprenticeship until after college. While I’ve been toying with the idea for a while of doing an apprenticeship after college, I think my feelings have grown stronger after the last year of being stuck at home doing college.

Any words of wisdom?

The rules will depend on the college and course. Some may let you work remote, or may even let you work off-books, some wont. Some will let you defer a year but give a time limit on when it must be completed (e.g. 5 years).

Although the advice to stay in college is best, if there was EVER a time to try to convince a faculty that you can work remotely and part time, get concessions for poor grades, have flexible exam dates, it's now, because that's already what's happening for many students. Assuming that Covid-19 restrictions are instated next term, which is possible.

I'm not sure I'd drop out of a degree if there's only 1 year left. You've already found out that you're capable of getting into an apprenticeship programme so presumably you'll be able to next year also.

You may also be able to defer the apprenticeship programme too, look into that. Again, if there were ever a time to have an easy excuse to defer, it's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

what is the apprenticeship in?

is it with a SME or a big firm?

Most companies will not touch you without an honours degree - regardless of year of dropout status. You will be shooting yourself in your foot for any company in most fields and certainly all business fields for the test of your life by not finishing it. A pass degree is worthless.

I know a few people who dropped out / did not complete/ stopped at 3 years for various good well intended alternative reasons - all regretted it bitterly.

Your class will also move on and progress without you - this is the core group that will remain your friends for a long time - I’d be reluctant to let that all go too but I guess Fb/LI & modern life has changed that a bit.

Key thing is all the doors slamming behind you - and they will remain shut forever.

You mentioned further study - most masters require a minimum of a 2.1 to qualify to enter. Leaving after 3 years raises more negatives than positives. Revert to Q 1&2.

I’d strongly advise against dropping out at this stage. While a year will seem a long time to you now, it will fly by. You won’t regret it. A plus is that you will be able to show any future employers that you’re able to see a task to the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement