Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA membership

• 23-04-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭

Just curious....Is anyone's local GAA club doing refunds or reductions in their yearly memberships due to the COVID issue. With kids training being severely impacted since March last year, the usual benefit\value that would be gotten from your club has significantly decreased.....does anyone else get refunds\decreases in fees, do you feel you should or should the love of your club mean you continue to pay full whack for a much reduced membership\activities for your kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

The club I play for in Meath have reduced it for a playjh adult from €150 to €135. And they said they can't go any lower due to operating costs. We didn't get a refund for gym membership despite having no access at all to the gym for over a year so that left a slightly sour taste personally.

My club at home in Kerry have reduced everything. Kids will be €20 and an adult player will be €50 with an ordinary member being €30 and I've paid that to contribute some small bit to the club.

I still havent paid my membership to play, I'll wait and see when we are allowed back and then get onto the manager for a reduced rate because after losing my job, I couldn't justify €135 for less than half a year and only a handful of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

You're not paying your club for a service. You are a member of the club. And paying membership is part of sharing the cost of running a club amongst it's members (along with fund raising and the like).

The pandemic has put a hole in many clubs coffers and clubs will be reliant on their members to help them get back to financial health. Sponsorship and fundraising will have taken a huge hit over the last 12 months. I'd encourage all members to make an extra effort with fundraising over the next year to help their clubs.

In the case of someone hitting financial difficulty due to the pandemic (or for any other reason for that matter), you can contact your club. I'd suspect that most club will have concessions for people who are struggling financially. I know we have an unemployed rate of €40. And it's always mentioned that if the membership is difficult for someone to contact few treasurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

blue note wrote: »
    You're not paying your club for a service. You are a member of the club. And paying membership is part of sharing the cost of running a club amongst it's members (along with fund raising and the like).

The pandemic has put a hole in many clubs coffers and clubs will be reliant on their members to help them get back to financial health. Sponsorship and fundraising will have taken a huge hit over the last 12 months. I'd encourage all members to make an extra effort with fundraising over the next year to help their clubs.

In the case of someone hitting financial difficulty due to the pandemic (or for any other reason for that matter), you can contact your club. I'd suspect that most club will have concessions for people who are struggling financially. I know we have an unemployed rate of €40. And it's always mentioned that if the membership is difficult for someone to contact few treasurer.

I agree with what you're saying. But it has put a hole in my own coffers too. Trying to pay my mortgage and bills on 350 quid a week has been a challenge to get used to.

The club though, will be able to apply for a GAA grant to help with any expenses they have so I'm not going to be in a major rush to contribute what I can't afford.

I will look into the unemployed rate and see if they offer anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just curious....Is anyone's local GAA club doing refunds or reductions in their yearly memberships due to the COVID issue. With kids training being severely impacted since March last year, the usual benefit\value that would be gotten from your club has significantly decreased.....does anyone else get refunds\decreases in fees, do you feel you should or should the love of your club mean you continue to pay full whack for a much reduced membership\activities for your kids?

Our kids had gaa fro may to dec last year. Club doesnt train during summer usually but did last year and will this year. So didnt much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Slightly related to this are affiliation fees for clubs reduced by county boards? My understanding is they aren't and they are still due soon at a time when fundraising is impacted too. I would assume all of that would means some clubs wouldn't reduce fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I've paid my full family membership. I as some have already stated think that as a member of a club I should support the club if I am in a position to financially. I have not lost my job, so paid in full. i fear some club members around the country will use this as an excuse not to pay. The club will suffer in the end. Hopefully we are all back going to or playing games in the near future. Heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

No discount on my club dues. I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Im guessing OP has not been a member of their club too long. Its an awful attitude to have in fairness. Its not like clubs are a profit making business. The money clubs take in generally goes back out to provide better facilities for you, your children and the general locality. We are all in this together. If your expectations are that the club will be able to continue to provide you/your children with the same amenities and coaching Post-Covid then you must continue to pay what you did Pre-Covid.
    Ask the coaches at the club how much they are being paid, you might be surprised at their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dobman88 wrote: »
    I agree with what you're saying. But it has put a hole in my own coffers too. Trying to pay my mortgage and bills on 350 quid a week has been a challenge to get used to.

The club though, will be able to apply for a GAA grant to help with any expenses they have so I'm not going to be in a major rush to contribute what I can't afford.

I will look into the unemployed rate and see if they offer anything.

A lot of clubs have a policy of reduced rates/zero rates if a member contacts a club offician and advises they are having a tough time coming up with membership. This is a good policy and generaly most clubs implement it well.

That said, people tend to have issues with paying membership for GAA clubs for one reason or another. I don't think people realise the costs involved in running a club and/or teams within a club.

The GAA centrally, despite a lot of misconceptions, do not generally fund clubs in any major way (if at all) if anything it is the other way around - and this is generally what is going on at the moment also.

If you want to look at a value that people get from membership - well it depends on the age profile of the person involved.
    A club close to us charge about 240 for family membership. Generally, 2 adults (playing or non playing) and upto 4 kids. A playing child is around 100 euro - which would be deemed expensive in the locality for a GAA club.
    The club is a relatively new club however and has some of the finest facilities around.

If you were to work it out as cost per 1 hour training session, Under 10s and above do training twice a week at least 32 weeks a year and would play a number of matches on top of that.
    So you pay 100 euro for 64 hours training and god knows how many matches on top of that.

What other organised physical activity which requires facilities, insurance, maintenance costs, affiliation fees etc would cost you less than €1.60 an hour?
    Tremendous value in fairness.

All that being said, if times are tough, approach a committee member and discuss your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Same cost for membership in my club

I’m fine with that, the bills are still there to be paid. It’s tiny money for what I get back

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The under 10s here sent out the reminder for subs before training resumes. €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

beertons wrote: »
    The under 10s here sent out the reminder for subs before training resumes. €180.

That seems quiet excessive its €10 with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

€100 for juveniles in our club, two for €150, family of three or more €200

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bla.bla.b

Membership more important than ever to GAA clubs this year. Clubs GAA injury insurance premiums have increased by 20-25% across the board this year.

The GAA had withdrawn "Loss of Wages" from the scheme but following push back they reviewed and decided to levy clubs by the 20-25% in order to reinstate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tinchento

on GAA memberships, does anyone know if you can be a non-playing members of 2 clubs, each based in a different county. Want to stay a member of my club I grew up with but also want to support the GAA club in the village I’m now living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pretty sure you can because I've done it anyway. Don't think there's any issue for non-playing members.

Advertisement