Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another car recommendation thread

• 23-04-2021 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi all – Looking for some advice. I am planning on upgrading my car in the next couple of months. Maybe around the switchover to the second half of the year.

Budget is ~20K. Plan would be to own the car for at least 5 or 6 years.

Just two of us right now, but that could change in the relatively near future.

I do around 10-12K a year. I have a short round trip commute to work 16KM. Trips at the weekend then etc. And maybe a 5 or 6 500KM round trips a year.

I want to get a Saloon, and was looking at Audi A4 petrol, but now I am thinking a Passat GTE maybe, as I have a charge point at work, so it seems like it would make sense. Maybe an older IS300H although that might not be as practical.

I don’t know much about any of these cars, in terms of maintenance costs, or driving experience etc.

Anyone got any advice/opinions/suggestions that I may not have considered?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I am literally in an identical situation, down to the budget, except mine will be next year.

Half the fun of buying a new car is the research and I'm doing plenty WELL in advance. I had planned on going for a hot hatch but I've already got a fun car so something practical makes more sense.

My list is as follows:

IS300H

Volvo S60/V60

Merc C300h/E300H

BMW 530E is above budget as is the newer 330e. The older versions have crap battery range so I've not even bothered looking. My wife owns a 420d Gran Coupe which is a lovely car but I'd rather something different but I'd highly recommend them. The GC will swallow an absolute load but the small back doors make putting a small person in and out hard. We don't have kids but did have a child seat installed for a time for a relative's kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭User1998

Passat GTE is great. Would suit your commutes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Passat GTE does seem to be a good job alright....I'm a little concerned about the battery. Specifically if I went for a 2016/2017. Do the batteries tend to go in them? Id try to get one with at least 2 or 3 years manufacturers warranty (I think 8 years)....and milage to come in under the 160km. Apart for expected battery degradation, which I don't think will massively affect my commute, are there other difference between a 2016 vs say 2018. Kind of getting close feet, despite knowing it is perfect for my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres nothing really too concerning about the battery. They have a 100k mile warranty. My GTE was fine with 105k miles. One of my mates had one with lower mileage and had the hybrid battery replaced under warranty

I wouldn’t really worry about battery degradation either

Newer models have an upgraded infotainment system

Advertisement