Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying Spam phone calls daily

Options
  • 21-04-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post.
    I keep getting phone calls from different UK numbers - sometimes several times a day. It’s always a really difficult to understand accent and it starts with how are you, I say please take me off your calling list and delete my number and hang up. I have asked what they are calling for but I can never understand what they are saying in terms of a response (accent and English too bad). I keep blocking each number but has anyone experienced this? Do I need to change my number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Someone pranking.
    Get one of these, you know what to do when you see your caller again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Play along with them, they will want you to log in on a computer then tell them you don't have one you don't like them at all they are the devils work, they might take you off the list for not having a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭POBox19

Had something similar, so I played a bit.
    Hello, I'm calling from Windows Security.
    Oh good, I'm very interested in window security. I got new windows.
    Very good, which Windows have you got?
    I got 10 windows.
    You mean Windows 10?
    No, 10 windows, all double glazed and a Patio door.
    Click...

POBox19 wrote: »
    I got 10 windows.
    You mean Windows 10?
    Click...

I can just imagine open windows, ok now what do you see nothing it's dark outside

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I got 10 windows.
    You mean Windows 10?
    Click...

I always did that with the random ones. But these constant calls from similar numbers are new and pretty stressful as they are several times a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have started getting 5/6 of these calls per day for the last few days. The ones I am getting are automated messages telling me that the department of justice has a warrent out for my arrest, the numbers are coming from bulgaria/france.

It's very annoying that the mobile operator can't simply identify these numbers and ban them from getting through.

JJayoo wrote: »
    I have started getting 5/6 of these calls per day for the last few days. The ones I am getting are automated messages telling me that the department of justice has a warrent out for my arrest, the numbers are coming from bulgaria/france.

It's very annoying that the mobile operator can't simply identify these numbers and ban them from getting through.

All I’m doing is not answering and blocking each number. I’m hoping after a while I will be dropped.

Try a Spam Call Blocker app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

We surrendered our landline because of this as it got to the point where it was at least two or three calls a day some at 8 am then 10 pm. At the time Virgin Media Support could not provide a solution to the issue from the provider's side. Kitboga Youtube Channel highlights their endgame and has some fun. You have to see the humour in it as most of the callers are the dumbest people on the planet.

Try a Spam Call Blocker app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store.

Are they expensive or free? Have you used them yourself? Did they work? Do you need to know the specific number to prevent calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My daughter has been getting a plague of these calls, several a day, for the last few days. All appear to come from 083 numbers, she has an 083 number herself. I have not had any (087). Don't know if the prefix makes any difference. They are all of the automated message '...Social Protection...money laundering...warrant out for your arrest' variety.

See if their number was leaked as part of a data breach such as the fastway courier one. Put the number in here https://haveibeenpwned.com/

What you could do is out you phone on "do not disturb" and white list all the contacts in the phone. It will at least get you some break, get onto the phone provider and make a fuss. It's a digital phone network of course they can stop these call it's just that they don't want to spend the money.

Mine are from UK landlines and it’s not an automated message. But that sounds equally annoying!

YellowLead wrote: »
    Are they expensive or free? Have you used them yourself? Did they work? Do you need to know the specific number to prevent calls?

Some are free, others charge a monthly or annual fee. No haven't felt the need. There are reviews in the App Stores you can check. Some of them have a database of numbers and users can add to that.
    I feel you frustration with these operators and it's no joke. I used to get a lot of them on the landline, but I abandoned it and went fully mobile. Not so frequent now and I just block them as they come in.
    There are tips out there for Android and iOS to block everything but your existing contacts. See spaceHopper above.

Advertisement