Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milling a Putter Face

• 21-04-2021 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has the ability to Mill or Remill a putter face.
    Can it even be done in Ireland?
    Thanks,
    S
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Any engineering firm will be able to do this for you, where are you based?

What do you want milled on it, and what type of putter out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I usually just mill my driver

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish Lion

etxp wrote: »
    Any engineering firm will be able to do this for you, where are you based?

What do you want milled on it, and what type of putter out of interest?

How’re things??
    I got my hands on Scotty Cameron but a previous owner polished off the milling from the face. I purchased this a keeper and was hoping to get it fully restored but it may be cost prohibitive.
    I must say it doesn’t affect the “playability” of the putter from messing around with it at home but finding a someone that can do a full restoration including milling, is proving difficult.
    I may end up moving it on... depends on what it will cost to restore it to its former glory...

ForeRight wrote: »
    I usually just mill my driver

If you mean “Mill it in to the bushes”, I’m with you in that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

All it would take to mill the design back on is the correct tool and the correct feed, plenty places that do milling and turning for a living and would be no problem to them, how much they charge i have no clue.

If you are in Galway i can recommend someone but dont know any outside of that. they will have to remove more material and they will be working from pictures unless you have dimensions?

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    All it would take to mill the design back on is the correct tool and the correct feed, plenty places that do milling and turning for a living and would be no problem to them, how much they charge i have no clue.

If you are in Galway i can recommend someone but dont know any outside of that. they will have to remove more material and they will be working from pictures unless you have dimensions?

I'm based on Cork and I made a few calls today to a few engineering workshops that I know of to see if they would consider the work. Most weren't open but I did speak with 2. Taking the tool set up in to consideration, it is beginning to look like an expensive task for a one off.
    It might be time to make a decision on this one.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

Irish Lion wrote: »
    I'm based on Cork and I made a few calls today to a few engineering workshops that I know of to see if they would consider the work. Most weren't open but I did speak with 2. Taking the tool set up in to consideration, it is beginning to look like an expensive task for a one off.
    It might be time to make a decision on this one.........................

I can see the issue from the engineering point of view, you would have to be able to hold it steady in a vice (may have to make a jig of some sort) the sole is not straight you see its curved so to hold it in a straight vice would be unstable.
    Then you have to maintain the original loft 3 or 4 deg that means you have to tilt the head of the mill by the 3 of 4 deg. Let's say you got that far you need a carbide fly cutter with 2 carbide tips, a fast feed and a medium speed.
    That's a lot of time probably charge 80 per hr depending on if its a ballet or anser style it could cost €160.
    And you might not be happy afterwards (weight might change) so probably be better off to trade it in get what you really want.

Update for anyone watching this thread.
    I sent off the putter head via a courier service (that will remain unnamed) and it looks like it's gone missing.
    It's on the website as "Out for Delivery" 20th May but not delivered.
    I have been in contact with the courier service and to be fair they have been great but still no sign.

I'm not holding out much hope and I'm gutted to have lost the putter head.

A shout out to "TOM" that contacted me via PM on here and offered his services and apologies for the inconvenience caused..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Irish Lion wrote: »
    Update for anyone watching this thread.
    I sent off the putter head via a courier service (that will remain unnamed) and it looks like it's gone missing.
    It's on the website as "Out for Delivery" 20th May but not delivered.
    I have been in contact with the courier service and to be fair they have been great but still no sign.

I'm not holding out much hope and I'm gutted to have lost the putter head.

A shout out to "TOM" that contacted me via PM on here and offered his services and apologies for the inconvenience caused..

Did you ever get this resolved with the courier company?

Over and back with the courier insurance... their first offer was €80

After a few mails over and back, proof of purchase and few bit here and there, they have now come up to €175 which is not far off what I paid for it so I'll probably have to go with that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement