Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW iX3

Options
  • 06-07-2018 6:42pm

https://electrek.co/2018/06/25/bmw-next-gen-electric-powertrain-technology-ix3/

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/06/25/take-a-look-at-the-bmw-ix3-battery-and-powertrain-technology/

The end of the i3 is sadly in sight, and replaced by the iX3, the article doesn't say whether it's fwd or rwd but I read a while back that it will be fwd but if the power of this motor is to be believed, 300 Hp then I doubt all that will be going to the front wheels in an ev.

200 Kw and 250 Kw peak, that's amazing for what looks like an incredibly compact motor. Remember the pic includes the little gear box, the actual motor is smaller. 270 - 335 Hp. That should be a lot of fun if the power is applied correctly.

The i3 is a brilliant little car and so much fun , it would be really sad to see it axed instead of improved, larger battery, more power etc.

It also looks likely the i3 will not get a larger battery this year and possibly not ever, I've heard no rumours what so ever about a larger than 33 kwh pack coming this year at least.

The article has one error, BMW have only 1 pure Ev on the road and that is the i3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

iX3 is a "normal" looking car in a popular segment. With a 70kWh battery, 335BHP and presumably RWD this should be a cracking EV. When would this be expected on an Irish reg and for what kind of money?

"Presumably RWD", I'm not so sure about that, I've read conflicting comments about that where one will say the standard model will be FWD with option of 4WD etc so I don't know yet, FWD would be a disappointment if there was no RWD or FWD because I know the benefit of it in an EV now as with most cars I'm sure but the i3 beong my first RWD I love it, tonnes of grip compared to the 40 Kwh leaf especially in the wet and considering the i3 has skinny tyres it's amazing.

It's expected in 2020 so my guess deliveries will start in 2021 unless they get they finger out and start production in 2019.

Cost, no idea, the X1 20 D 190 HP SE Diesel (manual )sells for 48 K I would expect the ix3 to sell for about 55K minimum I hope I'm wrong but considering my spec i3 Rex cost around that new, that wouldn't be too bad.

I would probably assume BMW will use the same drive train and de-tune it to make cheaper models, but it would also be nice if they offered software upgrade for full performance in the future ! But that's a pretty wild guess as is my cost estimate, being BEV it will be subject to full VRT relief unlike the i3 Rex which should help.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/say-hello-to-the-ix3-bmw-s-first-electric-car-1.3471181

It's a shame Neil Briscoe didn't do his research and change the title to BMW's 2nd electric car ! he has "first" in the title so does that mean in his mind he meand first "real" electric car ? bad journalism, he should have commented that the BMW i3 is BMW's first production EV !

Anyway, he mentions 150 Kw charging which I'm sure it will have.

It's a crying shame the ESB have abandoned the charging network because it's 3 years in my memory since a DC charger was installed and considering we have heard absolutely no update it's actually very worrying now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Officially revealed https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0310696EN/the-first-ever-bmw-ix3

460km range (WLTP), 74kWh usable battery, 11kW AC charger and 150kW DC charging

519841.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just seen it on FB.
    Nice car.
    Good market capture.
    It will sell I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Seems like it’s very highly specced with most options as standard but no doubt you are paying for them when we see the purchase price.

I don’t see any mention of an M-Sport version which is a pity as it doesn’t look great as is. Also the power is underwhelming, 0-60 is 6.8 and only 286bhp. Would have expected more from it to be honest.

digiman wrote: »
    Seems like it’s very highly specced with most options as standard but no doubt you are paying for them when we see the purchase price.

I don’t see any mention of an M-Sport version which is a pity as it doesn’t look great as is. Also the power is underwhelming, 0-60 is 6.8 and only 286bhp. Would have expected more from it to be honest.

Heavy car no doubt.

Could also be that BMW have more power at the top end, the HP figures don't really tell much, neither does the 0-100. Most electrics have most of the power at speeds up to 80-100 Km/hr but lack at the mid and top but this is where they can manipulate this through the software, gearing and motor spec so they can use more of this power at the mid and top end rather than have more attractive 0-100 figures. 6.8 is decent enough a bit more shove past 100 Km/hr would be nice.

Not going to be a cheap car, my wild estimate in Ireland after extortion taxes would be 80K and that's probably conservative.

It's a premium brand too which is always going to be attractive and I'm sure the interior will be a lot better than tesla and that's what a lot of people care more about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Heavy car no doubt.

Could also be that BMW have more power at the top end, the HP figures don't really tell much, neither does the 0-100. Most electrics have most of the power at speeds up to 80-100 Km/hr but lack at the mid and top but this is where they can manipulate this through the software, gearing and motor spec so they can use more of this power at the mid and top end rather than have more attractive 0-100 figures. 6.8 is decent enough a bit more shove past 100 Km/hr would be nice.

Not going to be a cheap car, my wild estimate in Ireland after extortion taxes would be 80K and that's probably conservative.

It's a premium brand too which is always going to be attractive and I'm sure the interior will be a lot better than tesla and that's what a lot of people care more about.

What taxes can they add to it? The vrt will be low on this so it should be more comparable to other countries

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good to see that level of DC charging, progressive

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

digiman wrote: »
    What taxes can they add to it? The vrt will be low on this so it should be more comparable to other countries

VRT is still applied then there's VAT, it's a complete joke what we pay in taxes in this country.

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Good to see that level of DC charging, progressive

Provided it can maintain a decent charge rate throughout the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Heavy car no doubt.

2185kg, can tow 750kg

They've quoted...

0-100km/h 6.8s
    0-60 3.7s
    80-120 2.5s

Provided it can maintain a decent charge rate throughout the charge.

They have quoted a 74kWh battery (80kWh gross) and 0-80% charge time of 34mins which gives an average of 100kW+ for the charge session. Not shabby at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Heavy car no doubt.

I would imagine post the 10k rebate that it will come in in the 60s to be honest . It’s an x3 at the end of the day .

Cyrus wrote: »
    I would imagine post the 10k rebate that it will come in in the 60s to be honest . It’s an x3 at the end of the day .

Maybe bog spec might turn out at 60K.

Decent charge rate alright if it can be achieved in cold weather that would be really sweet.

One of the best things about the Rex is that if the battery is cold you can go on the rex until the battery warms up then charge at the next charger. I've seen as little as 25 Kw with a cold battery at the fast charger and I could't go back to an BEV only with that kind of charge rate in the cold.

80-120 Km/hr is quite respectable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

that 80-120 seems very fast

Cyrus wrote: »
    that 80-120 seems very fast

It is that’s why I said earlier that while the 0-100 may not look fantastic for the HP that they could have used more of that for the mid and top end and it looks as if they have which is a good thing to be honest.

0-100 is fine but it would be nice to have more power at higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Range - 300km motorway, 400km+ @ 90km/h.
    Charges like a boss.

Looks good (apart from those wheels :eek:).

The Pro model was guided here at €74k. I guess that'll be €79k, now that the SEAI grant is gone from July 1st :(.

Good lucking car, interior is lovely, high spec of course but Manufacturers need to make cars most People can afford rather than produce expensive electrics so they sell in lower volumes because ICE cars are far more profitable.

I wouldn't mind picking one up in a few years. I guess this will hold it's value really well especially if the battery holds up as well as it has in my i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lovely looking car, love the charge curve, I was a bimmer fanboy before I got into Tesla so I'd love one, but it's not AWD. A 2WD/RWD X3 seems a bit silly?

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd love one, but it's not AWD. A 2WD/RWD X3 seems a bit silly?

I guess the dual motor/awd trade offs were cost & range.
    At €79k here, it's hard to justify over an X5 45e, which is just €10k odd dearer. It's bigger, has 24kWhs of battery, 400hp, air suspension etc. & a class higher.

Too expensive but with brexit & taxes going the way they are here, we'll be the Cuba of €urope, with regards to cars, in a few years time.

There will be nothing nice/interesting/exciting available here, save for the most wealthy (civil servants :D).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's a phev though. I want an EV. And if the cybertruck is not available, then the options from the germans are limited to the etron & eqc!

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's a phev though. I want an EV. And if the cybertruck is not available, then the options from the germans are limited to the etron & eqc!

Yep, but a brilliant one. A 60km commute, with charging at work (even an outdoor socket), could see one covering 25k+ km per year on battery.
    Then hoon across continental €urope on hols, range anxiety free. Tow little Jacinta's horses to the point to points & take half a dozen beagles out for the annual pheasant shoot.

It's a great all rounder & despite having covered 90k km, on battery, over the last 2 years, there's still a great arguement to be made for a good PHEV for me, especially at this end of the market.

They are marked for anhiliation now though so BEVs will soon be the only show in town.

But I'm a BMW man too............that straight 6 has some draw & following.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Kramer wrote: »
    Too expensive but with brexit & taxes going the way they are here, we'll be the Cuba of €urope, with regards to cars, in a few years time.

I think a comparison with Cuba is unfair. At least the Cubans are getting on with making their own affordable electric vehicles and not endlessly wringing their hands over range anxiety and all the other various first world neuroses.

http://www.granma.cu/cuba/2021-01-21/triciclos-electricos-hechos-en-cuba-de-la-aspiracion-a-su-proyeccion-21-01-2021-00-01-23

pdpmur wrote: »
    I think a comparison with Cuba is unfair. At least the Cubans are getting on with making their own affordable electric vehicles and not endlessly wringing their hands over range anxiety and all the other various first world neuroses.

http://www.granma.cu/cuba/2021-01-21/triciclos-electricos-hechos-en-cuba-de-la-aspiracion-a-su-proyeccion-21-01-2021-00-01-23

Ah, the Bhat bus! Yellow though :D. Anyone remember the days when we could travel? Will we ever see them again?
    Sleepy Eamon says no :(.

We'll never be allowed that here - too dangerous. Health & safety & all that.
    No, it'd need regulation. That means a quango, a report to be comissionned, a parlimentary working group, swiftly followed by an objection from a lobby group, likely taxi drivers here, who could blockade O'Connell Street & call for wider industrial action.

We don't even have Uber here :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

£60k 🙄

Good luck with that one, and it is ugly, reminds me of a Duster at quick glance

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

47 of them registered in August. More than the i3 YTD.

i3 could do with the ix3 battery and charging curve to make it more competitive, or at least a slightly bigger battery and the faster charge speed.

ix3 seems like a very good EV and should sell well.

It is really great looking inside and looks very high quality, of course that will be the top spec, quite expensive.

What's the price again ? I think I remember it being quite expensive.

2I just looked at the BMW site, start at something like 85K ?

Just wondering how that compares to say an x3 ?

• Advertisement

BMW x3 from 61K. But probably much slower and manual box ? and poverty spec.

Advertisement