Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2017 Kia Sportage or 2017 Honda CRV, which to buy?

Options
  • 22-04-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Thinking of buying one of these for my wife. Used mainly for the likes of school runs/sports/activities of 3 kids, and a few trips across the country.
    I like the GL Line Sportage but have just noticed the CRV as an option. Is one much better than the other, in people’s opinions/experience?
    I had planned to go to UK for a higher spec car but didn’t have the money before January to go, doesn’t seem worth it now?
    Budget is about €18k.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Had a 16 CRV and traded it in 19 as I wasn't using the diesel engine enough. I still miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

It would only be doing about 8,000 km a year.

Had a 16 CRV and traded it in 19 as I wasn't using the diesel engine enough. I still miss it!

What was wrong with not using the diesel enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesels need to be drive as per their intended design. They have filters and sensors to make them cleaner, however if they are not driven properly or enough then these filters and sensors get blocked and the car doesn't perform correctly and it can end up being costly to fix.

@ only driving 8000 km per year it sounds like you really don't have a use for a diesel car and you are potentially going to have hassle with it. Your not even going to save money on fuel at that little driving. Your problem is that around 95% of Sportages and CRVs available here are diesel and the 5% that are petrol tend to be miserable spec base models.

If you don't care about spec then this petrol Sportage is not far off your budget:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2753162

If you don't care about spec then this petrol Sportage is not far off your budget:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2753162[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, spec wise, I would like a higher spec. If I do end up with a diesel, i should probably go for a night away across the country at weekends in order to keep it running clean, that’s my excuse anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

bazz26 wrote: »
    Diesels need to be drive as per their intended design. They have filters and sensors to make them cleaner, however if they are not driven properly or enough then these filters and sensors get blocked and the car doesn't perform correctly and it can end up being costly to fix.

@ only driving 8000 km per year it sounds like you really don't have a use for a diesel car and you are potentially going to have hassle with it. Your not even going to save money on fuel at that little driving. Your problem is that around 95% of Sportages and CRVs available here are diesel and the 5% that are petrol tend to be miserable spec base models.

https://www.carsireland.ie/2753162

There tends to be a fixation on the amount of mileage that applies for a diesel when its not the important factor for car health, the length of the individual journeys is key. My commuter diesel passat does 5-8k a year but every journey is 30km plus.

Whether you do 30k miles a year or 5k the key to keeping a healthy diesel is the type of driving you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cpoh1 wrote: »
    There tends to be a fixation on the amount of mileage that applies for a diesel when its not the important factor for car health, the length of the individual journeys is key. My commuter diesel passat does 5-8k a year but every journey is 30km plus.

Whether you do 30k miles a year or 5k the key to keeping a healthy diesel is the type of driving you are doing.

If you’re doing a 30k commute over say 6500km with no other driving - you’re only doing 108 commutes a year. This is well outside of the norm, and for the majority of people doing 5-8kkm a year a diesel isn’t suitable. That’s why there is a ‘fixation’. Of course it’s not true in the tiny number of cases like your own.
    Of course, You are correct when you say it’s the type of driving rather than the amount of it.

cpoh1 wrote: »

I'm well aware of that but read again what the OP says in their first post:

Used mainly for the likes of school runs/sports/activities of 3 kids, and a few trips across the country.

8000 km per year is roughly 5000 miles which broken down is around 14 miles a day on average. Now assuming since the OP said they would use the car to drive a few trips across the country included in that, then it probably means that day to day the car will be used for fairly short journeys of 14km or less, or may not be used at all some days. Now the OP can buy what they want but it just seems crazy to me buying a diesel for that sort of usage, your just inviting unnecessary potential problems.

Can anyone compare the Sportage V CRV, is one much better than the other.
    And from the remarks above, I’ll try to get a petrol version.

CRVs are generally dearer to buy than equivalent Sportages, CRVs sell in much smaller numbers too. The Kia will probably still have some of the original 7 year/150k km warranty left on it too but the level of cover reduces during that time on some components also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement