Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions for an estate car for towing, stowing and beach going

• 21-04-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've been driving an old banger for about 6 years and I would like something that is more comfortable for longer journeys (both motorways and N roads) and has more space for plenty of gear. I would like to be able to tow a trailer (750kg) occasionally. I'd also like something that has a bit more ground clearance for grassy fields and getting onto beaches. Not planning on doing any kind of major offroading though, I'm not looking for a jeep or an SUV.

I'd be looking to spend up to around 5k for the vehicle. I could go higher but for what I want the car for (wet gear, fields, beaches) I'm not sure there's much point? I'd be leaning more towards bangernomics territory, I don't want to be paying much depreciation.

My dream I think would be a P2 Volvo XC70, it seems to tick all the boxes for space, comfort and ability for what I'm looking to do. From what I've read the D5 engine with the manual gearbox are pretty bulletproof. However there are effectively none for sale in Ireland at the moment, and importing would be completely uneconomical. My next choice would be a V70.

Other than that I was thinking about A6 Avant, Allroad (again thin on the ground and possibly less reliable, suspension a few hundred per corner), Superb (expensive). I could sacrifice a bit of comfort for the likes of a Mondeo or a bit of space for a V50, Octavia, Astra or similar.

I've got to say I love the volvos (a relative had one for years, maybe I'm biased) although there seems to be few enough with the bigger engines around, i don't think the 1.6d would be up for towing. Anyone got experience with these P2 estates or suggestions for any other vehicle that would meet the requirements?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is Ireland where pretty much everything is fenced off / privately owned.

You have to try very hard to find a field / path / beach that you can actually drive on that requires higher ground clearance , never mind 4x4 capabilities.

What I'm trying to say is...get the cheapest, biggest, most comfortable estate you can find for bangernomics money, drive it til it's done ...rinse, repeat.

Here's one, even with towbar:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/estate-mondeo-tax-nct-100-000-miles-towbar/27900506

You can lean that into a hedge for roadside parking without wincing about the paint scratches, you can drive it onto a beach (if allowed) without worrying about rust, you can even bottom out the oil sump on a big stone ..not much damage done (financially)

MjQ3YWU4NmRiY2NlMjczY2VlMTk2MTk3NjNkMjExZWZioY_6Xpx7VhzP49brTBsEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzc5Nzg0Mjh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What sort of mileage are you doing? If it's low then maybe something like a Subaru Forester petrol would do the job. However I'd avoid a Subaru diesel if you are doing alot of driving, they are not renowned for being reliable.

This Forester comes in at half your budget, has low mileage, has a bit of tax on it and a fresh NCT:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-forester-new-nct/27785391

If you need diesel then the Skoda Octavia Scout is worth looking at, same idea as the Audi allroad or Volvo XC range as in higher ground clearance and awd. They are rare though.

Advertisement