Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EV kWh per month

Options
  • 21-04-2021 8:36am

According to the new My Bmw App I need around 700 Kwh per month sometimes less.

Most of that would be pretty hard driving on the motorway. Pity it doesn't show the kms driven but average I would say would be around 2800-3200 Kms per month give or take.

That would be 51 Euro's a month @7.4 cent per Kwh night rate.

if I had to pay for all my own electricity but since I have work charging that is knocked in half because I charge in work and charge at home, on this site today I can charge at 11 Kw but on the other site I can only charge around 1.8 Kw on the granny lead.

I could get here to the industrial estate near Blanchardstown on about 50-60% charge at the speed limit or a bit more depending on conditions and speed but there's no way to control the charge in the i3 as it always wants you to charge only to 100% but today for instance I knew I have 11 Kw charging and would charge at home to 70% max but no option to do this.

Around 25 Euro's a month for around 2800-3000 Kms a month is pretty amazing, it would cost me at least 50 a week in Diesel.

If I had a larger battery I could charge up here on this site at 11 Kw and it would get me home and back up for free, the other site only gives me around 2 Kw off the granny lead or around 16 Kwh but hey, it's free, would still be nice if they put in a proper charge point but the manager on that site drives an outlander PHEV and it's more than enough for him and that's all he cares about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭obi604

According to the new My Bmw App I need around 700 Kwh per month sometimes less.

Most of that would be pretty hard driving on the motorway. Pity it doesn't show the kms driven but average I would say would be around 2800-3200 Kms per month give or take.

That would be 51 Euro's a month @7.4 cent per Kwh night rate.

if I had to pay for all my own electricity but since I have work charging that is knocked in half because I charge in work and charge at home, on this site today I can charge at 11 Kw but on the other site I can only charge around 1.8 Kw on the granny lead.

I could get here to the industrial estate near Blanchardstown on about 50-60% charge at the speed limit or a bit more depending on conditions and speed but there's no way to control the charge in the i3 as it always wants you to charge only to 100% but today for instance I knew I have 11 Kw charging and would charge at home to 70% max but no option to do this.

Around 25 Euro's a month for around 2800-3000 Kms a month is pretty amazing, it would cost me at least 50 a week in Diesel.

If I had a larger battery I could charge up here on this site at 11 Kw and it would get me home and back up for free, the other site only gives me around 2 Kw off the granny lead or around 16 Kwh but hey, it's free, would still be nice if they put in a proper charge point but the manager on that site drives an outlander PHEV and it's more than enough for him and that's all he cares about.

Ignore, my initial post had wrong calculation.
    So saving about 175 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

obi604 wrote: »
    Ignore

Your maths is off.

Diesel - €50x52
    EV - €25x12

Ignore, my initial post had wrong calculation.
    So saving about 175 a month.

Haha, yeah I had to read your post twice to make sure I didn't mess up the numbers lol.

It's costing me roughly 300 a year for EV vs 2400 for Diesel, average.

So say I had no work charging then that would jump to roughly 600 a year, still a lot less than the cheapest diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

And 7.4 cent per night unit can be knocked down to 5.23 with Energia if you are prepared to take 18.18c day rate vs 15.55c. Might suit high mileage drivers who don't work from home a lot!

• Advertisement

oinkely wrote: »
    And 7.4 cent per night unit can be knocked down to 5.23 with Energia if you are prepared to take 18.18c day rate vs 15.55c. Might suit high mileage drivers who don't work from home a lot!

Yeah wasn't the deal at the time unfortunately and after your contract energia absolutely screw their customers. They tried with me so I cancelled and set it up in the missus name.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Yeah wasn't the deal at the time unfortunately and after your contract energia absolutely screw their customers. They tried with me so I cancelled and set it up in the missus name.

I'll bear that in mind for this time next year!

hmm, my contract coming up soon, I guess this only worthwhile if you doing greater than 30,000 KM and all charging at home

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

hmm, my contract coming up soon, I guess this only worthwhile if you doing greater than 30,000 KM and all charging at home
    Or have solar as most of the day use is covered..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

My monthly average usage is about 90kWh according to the My BMW app. Some of you lads do too much driving lol

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    My monthly average usage is about 90kWh according to the My BMW app. Some of you lads do too much driving lol

90 Kwh vs 700 Kwh I'd love that, could get a PCP for half nothing lol.

You can use appliances on the cheap rate too like washing machine and dishwashers, dryers etc.

isnt it just a matter of changing provider or ringing them before the 1 year contract is up - to try and get a better deal etc

graememk wrote: »
    Or have solar as most of the day use is covered..

Electricity is to cheap to justify the investment in Solar PV especially when there is no feed in tariff, it's to hard to manage energy usage without this.

Electricity is to cheap to justify the investment in Solar PV especially when there is no feed in tariff, it's to hard to manage energy usage without this.

*too :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

MJohnston wrote: »

Lot of "cycling forumists" would cycle more in a week than you drive in a month :D

( do you do much cycling yourself ? :p )

*too :):D

Dear obi604,

Please can you guide me as to when to use 'to' and when to use 'too' ?

A guide for when to use 'por' and not 'para' ( Spanish ) would be great too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

0lddog wrote: »
    Lot of "cycling forumists" would cycle more in a week than you drive in a month :D

( do you do much cycling yourself ? :p )

Yeah I cycle lots, would have cycled to work until WFH too, but it's probably 5km lockdown putting a dent in my figures, because otherwise I'd make at least 1 trip up North a month to see family.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fael

0lddog wrote: »
    Dear obi604,

Please can you guide me as to when to use 'to' and when to use 'too' ?

A guide for when to use 'por' and not 'para' ( Spanish ) would be great too :).

Not sure if you where being sarcastic, but anyway:

too small
    too big
    too cheap
    too expensive
    I'm here too

(use 'too' when you want to say something is excessive, or when you mean also.
    otherwise use 'to')

going to the pub
    going to my home
    talking to my husband
    expecting to win

fael wrote: »
    ....(use 'too' when you want to say something is excessive, or when you mean also. otherwise use 'to')...

Thanks :) Do you know if this is also is true with american english ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Things have changed Mad_Lad, I have a 7.4kWp system put in for €5.6k after grant, currently putting 4.4kWh into the S. On course for €70 electricity saving this month (using just night rate as multiplier).
    FIT is coming, July 1st this year.
    After an EV, a PV system is the next logical step for those at home with any great frequency.
    Renewables forum

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Things have changed Mad_Lad, I have a 7.4kWp system put in for €5.6k after grant, currently putting 4.4kWh into the S. On course for €70 electricity saving this month (using just night rate as multiplier).
    FIT is coming, July 1st this year.
    After an EV, a PV system is the next logical step for those at home with any great frequency.
    Renewables forum

How much will the FIT be ?

Because without this it's worthless to me.

The ESB used to allow only 5.5 Kw to the grid on single phase, has this changed ? 5.5 Kw is pretty low for someone who wants to install more. Be handy to export it all and buy back when needed the only question is, will they cancel the FIT any time like the last time ?

I actually went with this today

All prices include VAT

last year was

day: 15.67 cent
    night: 7.52 cent

new contract is

day 18.18 cent
    night: 5.23 cent

this was the special 'EV rate'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

My rates (incl VAT) under Energia are:
    6.82c night
    14.22c day.

They were the best available when I changed lasted December.

I do 120km a day, 5 days a week for work (or did, before the lockdown has me working from home most of the time), that works out at about 150kwh a week. That's €10.23 a week, a far cry from the ~€90 it used to cost me weekly in petrol (refuel twice a week in my old 07 Honda Fit).

My rates (incl VAT) under Energia are:
    6.82c night
    14.22c day.

They were the best available when I changed lasted December.

I do 120km a day, 5 days a week for work (or did, before the lockdown has me working from home most of the time), that works out at about 150kwh a week. That's €10.23 a week, a far cry from the ~€90 it used to cost me weekly in petrol (refuel twice a week in my old 07 Honda Fit).

Thats a good deal !!

Rates across the board went up a bit this month so may be hard to find a deal like you have again :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

If it's the blanchardstown corporate park, there's 7kW pedestals and a unit with 22kW but the space is marked for a company so I don't know if it can be used. Was going to park the Tesla there to get 11kW @ 30p per hour but decided against it due to the company marked parking spot. Currently pulling 7Kw @ 30p per hour which is pretty cheap!

Advertisement