Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

i haven't been there in months (it's too far into meath for me to reach) but i must dig out the etymology of cromwell's bush crossroads. itis directly south of bellewstown, probably 2km from it.
    I believe it's where Cromwell camped before heading into Drogheda. I looked it up a few years ago after marshalling that corner in a race.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headed out this morning on a solo spin rather than a club spin (in pairs).
    Had it in my head to do maybe 90km but figured after a while I should get home to herself and do some chores. There may also have been a hungover/tiredness excuse in there (too much Erdinger & crisps on Friday night).
    In the end I did 61km at 27.6km/h aroind Ardclough/Kilteel/Kilbride. Felt crappy all the way through but looking on Strava this evening I managed a few PBs along with some fastest segments of the day and top half dozen of the year so I mustn't have been doing as bad as I thought.
    Watched Star Wars Ep IX tonight with the clan and had another few bottles of Erdinger along with some Hunky Dorys. Will head out again in the morning and maybe just make the fastest in the year!
    Or I'll get a lie in - we'll see!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cycled out to Dunlaoghaire yesterday to meet a friend and we headed out for an afternoon of off road in Belmont where we met another friend and her son. I hired a fatbike from fatbike adventures which was great craic on the green and blue runs though beyond my ability on the red, the young lad put us all to shame. Fantastic craic for all of that and recommended for a different day in the saddle. Dead handy climbing on the fatbike with serious traction and bouncy enough on the downhills. Starting to feel the benefits of the 20k limit which gives lots more options like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

well, beaulieu means 'beautiful or scenic place' in french.

And pronounced "Bewley" or so I was told on a tour of the house ages ago. At the time it was home to an amazing collection of Jack B Yeat paintings as well as the Waddington family.

Got out for 90k with 1000 climbing at 30kph this morning. Was out by 7am so had the place to myself. Bliss.

Home to a teething toddler throwing tantrums for the day. The joys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Got out for 90k with 1000 climbing at 30kph this morning. Was out by 7am so had the place to myself. Bliss.

Home to a teething toddler throwing tantrums for the day. The joys!

Don’t worry it (kids) get a bit easier then it gets worse again and then it gets a bit better and so on and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

bazermc wrote: »
    Don’t worry it (kids) get a bit easier then it gets worse again and then it gets a bit better and so on and so on.

And enjoy them now while they are young because the most trouble you will have with them is.............when they get married!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

30 odd km.
    Down to drogheda, out to old bridge, back up the hill to donore and away home.

Great to be back out after a week of being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

we probably should arrange a boards NCD meetup when regulations allow.

Would an interloper from across the border be welcome?

And pronounced "Bewley" or so I was told on a tour of the house ages ago. At the time it was home to an amazing collection of Jack B Yeat paintings as well as the Waddington family.

And some quite interesting cars.

• Advertisement

i've learned more from irish townland names from strava in the last few years than i'd ever known.

plus, a sense of uncertainty about whether the name i know an area by is the actual name, or the name someone flippantly gave it on strava.

I was looking at places within my 20km limit yesterday and came across a place called "The Cross of the Cage". For some reason, it intrigued me.
    I regularly cycled past it, pre Covid, never knew the name.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was looking at places within my 20km limit yesterday and came across a place called "The Cross of the Cage". For some reason, it intrigued me.
    I regularly cycled past it, pre Covid, never knew the name.

It's between Balrothery and Man 'O War from what I can see, new to me also. Not an area I'd be in much. I think I might have turned left there once on a spin to Ardgillan having missed the left in the village I should have used. It was an "interesting" road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

This place sounds made up, but I’ve seen it on paper OSI maps:

https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/castleknock/leixlip/clonsilla/passifyoucan/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lovely spin donegal town 5 points ardara and home great to be out
    . amazing how good the road surface is from donegal town to killybegs and onto ardara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to Ballygarrett, Kilmuckridge and to Blackwater, up the hill and instead of going on the lower road to Curracloe, took the higher road, well boreen to Screen. Out on to main road and vack towards Ballyedmund but too turn back to Kilmuckridge and home.

55km avg , 27.2 kph , 490 meters, windy and cool yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

45k, AVG 24kph. Miserable day out there wanted 60 but strong southerly breeze and wind got better of me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Type 17 wrote: »
    This place sounds made up, but I’ve seen it on paper OSI maps:

https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/castleknock/leixlip/clonsilla/passifyoucan/
    there's also shallnotpass. and hungersmother in donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Did 55km solo on sunday afternoon along greenway from mullingar to near Moate then back
    Enjoyable but very few people out on bikes compared to previous outings there

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Went out with the intention of doing a flat 50 and ended up doing a hilly 70 odd. 71km 900 up and 25.8kmh. Summer gear with arm warmers. Took off the arm warmers after a while. Then shortly afterwards put them back on again

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Went out at 10.30 expecting to do around 90km, had just passed Jones's garden centre when the back punctured. I'd injured my right arm while changing last week's puncture, so fortunately the team support car was available for the ultimate phone call of shame!! Only got 29km done in the end.

• Advertisement

Managed to get just shy of 70km this afternoon.
    Found myself struggling to keep pace despite managing a respectable 28.5km/h with 347m. I think it might be the first time I've encountered it but bizarrely, my Garmin had me at 28.4km/h - usually it is Strava that has the lower figure.
    Although I managed a few PRs, I'm obviously doing ok performance-wise but after having a quiet January and then being out of action for Feb and March from injury, I'm finding even 40 or 50km tough going. My plan to get my first 100km of the year this week may not come to anything :(
    Still, I got to see my first swallows of the year at Ferrna's Lock which was nice :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5160499170

I also reckon I met one of the anti-cycling posters from the Cyclists, insurance and road tax thread who greeted me with a friendly "get off the road you c**t" (well in fairness, I don't pay road tax on my bike!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sounds like ya f.......er rather than ya c.....

Anyway that thread and it's ilk are best avoided for a happy life

Sounds like ya f.......er rather than ya c.....
    Either way, the sentiment was the same.

I was thinking about my feeling of struggling to keep the pace I had a year ago. Maybe I need a new bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Either way, the sentiment was the same.

I was thinking about my feeling of struggling to keep the pace I had a year ago. Maybe I need a new bike?

Maybe just new carbon wheels?? If that doesn't work, a new group set, followed by a new frame - no need to have a kneejerk reaction..... :D:D

Anyway, I got out for my longest of the year so far - 76km at 25kph.
    Started by going to dundrum, stillorgan road, mount merrion(I think) Strand road, over the east link, coast road, once over Howth, portmarnock, malahide, Athens, Malahide Road, the quays, and home again.

Quite warm for my Galibier Mistral bibtights and jacket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Strand road, over the east link, coast road, once over Howth, portmarnock, malahide, Athens, Malahide Road, .

Some distance that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

Tried cycling Oldbridge to Newgrange alone the banks of Boyne. I tried running this couple of years ago and didn't get too far as the path was blocked with nettles and there's only so much sting one can take. This time of the year though the nettles are still growing and haven't fully taken over - however on the flipside - path hasn't dried out yet and there are large sections of deep muck to navigate thru. Of course attempting it on the gravel bike with road tyres didn't help - the rear wheel just spins or you fishtail and fall over.

550839.jpg

550840.jpg

BUT - what an amazing place. River flowing by so peacefully, dense vegetation all around you, and it's fully alive with all sorts of birds and other wildlife (there are deer there, according to the nice local man I met near Staleen lock, who gave me so much of his time and explained the whole area).

There are dozens of streams running across the path along the way but there's a mini/micro waterfall just before Staleen lock - perfect to hold the bike's wheel which by now was caked in mud and barely turning. The small section from Staleen lock to Newgrange has seen some work - and it's a stunningly beautiful little walk in it's on right. The path got too difficult to bike with overgrown brush just couple of hundred meters past Newgrange so I had to turn around.

550841.jpg

Overall take away for me is just how beautiful and pristine that area around is, and how amazing a canal path connecting Oldbridge to Slane/Navan could potentially be. At the same time I also feel slightly bad if construction / tourism wrecks the sense of peacefulness that exists there at the moment.

I will go back at next opportunity - without the bike. And a better camera!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Although I managed a few PRs, I'm obviously doing ok performance-wise
    better than me, i managed a single one. 56km, 680m of climbing. saw two lads up ahead of me on a decent steep hill and decided to play catch up, but they fairly easily pulled away from me, which me out of the saddle huffing and puffing, and them seated and seemingly not breaking a sweat. was happier when i saw they were on e-bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Weepsie wrote: »
    Some distance that

Cant even think where I meant lol Athens it is

Raheny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

With a forecast for no wind and unfortunately not much sunshine, I decided to see if the legs were up to taking on the (Dublin) North County border. I reckoned anticlockwise gave more options for baling out early so headed for Fairview and up the coast via Howth, Malahide, Rush, Skerries and Balbriggan. Highlights were the fact that the tide was low enough in Broadmeadows to cycle the normally underwater road, coffee plus at the van in Donabate and crossing the railway bridge in Balbriggan for the first time.

Heading inland through Balscaddan brough me to a very welcome lunch at the Seamus Ennis Centre where bizarrely, their benches are all wrapped in cling-film but they will deliver the food to the public bench or the piper's statue. It's a bit of a drag from the Naul up around the back of Garristown and seemed to take forever to get back south to the R125 near Greenoge. From Ward Cross the Garmin directed me over through Hollystown before passing through the rather desolate Damastown Industrial Estate. Skirting Ongar involved a very short excursion into Meath before dropping down to the Liffey at Lucan. After a few photos of a remarkably forward mallard on the banks of the river, I headed back to the Park, Royal Canal and home via the Strawberry Beds. Unlike the busy and exposed R121 that I used last week, this was an absolute joy. I think less than 10 cars passed me between Lucan and Knockmaroon and the views of the river seem to shorten the distance despite the best efforts of my legs to call it a day.

Overall, it ended up at 169km and just over 1000m in 6:36 moving time. A good deal longer but with a lot less climbing than the southside equivalent.

Strava: https://strava.app.link/R9RhjRYoCfb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

vintcerf wrote: »
    picked up cycling late February and enjoying it quite a lot! Been doing some tiny hills around me and even got a KOM yesterday! What is the etiquette regarding KOM hunting?
    Do it
    Existing Strava segments are predominately short and some of them ridiculously so. Where you will find longer ones is on the big climbs like the Wicklow Gap or Slieve Maan. It's unlikely that there is a segment say from Dundrum to Enniskerry as there are a number of traffic lights in between and it would be a bit of a lottery to get them all green when trying for a KoM.
    If you are really into taking KOMs, you have to go for them at night time where main through fare lights stay green unless crossing traffic triggers them.
    I also reckon I met one of the anti-cycling posters from the Cyclists, insurance and road tax thread who greeted me with a friendly "get off the road you c**t" (well in fairness, I don't pay road tax on my bike!)...
    Dear lord that is some car crash, it has to be trolling for the most part, some of the comments are just so stupid it beggars belief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement