Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia offshore visa options already did WHV

Options
  • 19-04-2021 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

Would be great to get some help here. I know borders are still closed so my plan would be to try get the ball rolling now as im sure the visa processing will take time but i need to know if its going to even be possible for me to return.

I really enjoyed my time there and have missed it everyday since ive been back in ireland so id like to return for good now. Some background, I completed a two year Working Holiday visa a few years ago. I work in advertising and I'm 29 yo and single. I have a sister in Australia who is a citizen along with other family. Im wondering what my best best to be able to return to australia to work (permanetly) is?

My occupation isn't on the visa 189 list unfortuntely as that would be the handiest route - getting PR automatically and not having to be tied to an employer. When i was in oz i found it hard to get sponsorship but i have more work experience now so hoping that would help.

Im not sure if family sponsorhsip is possible in my case as i am not dependant on anyone per se.

Are my only options 1) state nomination 190 2) getting a remote job offer and getting them to sponsor me? Both of which feel extremly hard... i calculated my rough points and it's coming in at 95, unless im calculating it wrong. I put my job into the immi website and a few visa options pop up but all seem like a very slim chance.

I emailed a migration agent who said my best bet would be to do a degree / masters in a regional area of australia which is really not ideal at all. I already have a degree and lots of work experience.

My head is truly melted trying to find a realistic way. ANY thoughts would be much much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I would probably follow advice of the migration agent, maybe 10 years ago there were more options and 457 sponsorship was easy enough to get but that’s dead and buried replaced with something that is more expensive and more restrictive in many ways. They have streamlined everything and wound back the yearly cap for PR in 2019 for 4 years, I expect there be a drive to up the migration next year to catch up due to the pandemic freeze but there will be a lot of competition and I can’t see them change the occupation lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

I'm afraid your own research has you well informed. Getting a visa into Aus given your circumstances is difficult enough during normal times and more so with the pandemic.

This legal article is 6 months old, but it does provide an overview of the migration programme for the year ahead.
    ...the new fiscal year (i.e. 1 July 2021 - 30 June 2022) will see a significant decrease in migration numbers due to the pandemic and Australia's post-COVID-19 recovery plan. Priority will be given to employer-sponsored visas, global talent visas and business innovation and investment visas.

Basically priority is going to be given to attracting high skill talent. Family stream visa places will actually increase, but priority will be given to existing applications to help clear backlogs and those on-shore already.

The agent's advice is really your only option given your age and skillset, i.e. entering as an international student. This would be at considerable expense for which there would be no assistance available (except for perhaps loans by non-government providers!).

The only other option may be to enter on a tourist visa and canvas potential employers who may be prepared to sponsor you. You would still have to leave the country and then arrange a visa when back home. Of course, doing this would be in direct violation of the tourist visa conditions and if caught (however unlikely) whilst in Australia, you would most likely be deported and face a very lengthy ban on returning. If you applied for a sponsorship visa, again your application should not indicate you were in Australia seeking work whilst on a tourist visa.

Also it is unknown at this point when international visitors will be allowed back into Australia as there is no official announcement as of yet. IMHO, the short term for the next 18 months is extremely doubtful of entering Australia without an assured route.

Looking past the short term, if a strong local economic recovery takes place, there is the possibility that there could be a proportional increase in demand for lower skilled foreign workers, particularly in regional areas. Remember Australia has historically always relied on high levels of immigration to support economic growth so if you are keen to return, you need to be prepared to commit to play the long game. Good luck!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Please don't double-post your question. I've moved all replies to this thread and deleted your other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hgjda11

wassie wrote: »
    I'm afraid your own research has you well informed. Getting a visa into Aus given your circumstances is difficult enough during normal times and more so with the pandemic.

[
    Looking past the short term, if a strong local economic recovery takes place, there is the possibility that there could be a proportional increase in demand for lower skilled foreign workers, particularly in regional areas. Remember Australia has historically always relied on high levels of immigration to support economic growth so if you are keen to return, you need to be prepared to commit to play the long game. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your thorough reply! Would a regional visa be possible i.e. getting state nomination? Or getting a sponsored job offshore? Literally anything aside from the studying. I just want to make sure I've thoroughly explored all options before looking for a plan b. Although Australia really feels like my only option. It fits all my criteria of outdoor lifestyle, good job prospects, English speaking, and I loved every minute of my two years there. I was so so sad to leave. But thought I might find a way back there. I don't know where else I could go to set up a life. I definitely want to leave Ireland. I've made up my mind. Feeling really stuck with my options :/

Advertisement