Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Kutebride

No rain today Meath. Family saying rain all day in the West. Such a mild evening tho no sunshine. We had a lovely cycle around 730pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Some superb weather coming from Wednesday until at least the weekend. Make the most of it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Some superb weather coming from Wednesday until at least the weekend. Make the most of it.

What do you define as superb and is it for the whole country?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

US2 wrote: »
    What do you define as superb and is it for the whole country?

www.met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rained all day long in West Clare, however it was a very strange day of weather indeed.

Despite the very light rain, the sun made some strong attempts to show itself, resulting in the ground drying faster than the rain was wetting it. The concrete dried almost fully today before a slight increase in intensity of rain and a cloudier sky. Interesting phenomenon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No more rain forecast until 02 May!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Raining this morning in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still damp morning in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dull and misty here in Castlebar. Mayo Sligo and Donegal will brighten up as the day goes on but may stay cloudy eleswhere. Rest of week looking nice with best temperatures further west. Cool at times on east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From met eireann :
    This day, 20th April 1999, Cloone Lake, Co. Kerry recorded 105.6mm of rainfall, the highest rainfall daily total for the month of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECMWF ensemble mean for day 10:

G3BUyCK.png

Could be indicating a cooler (relatively speaking.. given that cooler than average temps from here on in rarely means 'cool' in the actual sense) which is interesting because it seems, to me at least, that nearly ever month this year so far has started off cooler than average only to warm up in during second half of them. Haven't really looked at the stats on this, but this is how it seems at least looking back with my fading memory.

New Moon

OldRio wrote: »
    Raining this morning in Leitrim.
    As rotten a spell of weather as at anytime this year in the west. Near continuous dribbly drabbly miserable rain since Saturday and not particularly warm either. This coming week looking far better for this side of the island with temps into the mid to high teens and plenty of dry weather to be had.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lovely day now in Dublin 5, mild, no wind and sun coming in and out, can't ask for much more at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Castlederg has recorded 10 Air frosts this April already. Average is 4.4. Two more came close at 1c and another two at 2c. More than February and March combined which only had 8. January recorded 15. December had 6.

There could be another 3, maybe stretching it at 4 air frosts this week. 4 more air frosts this month will tie this Seasons total for December, February and March combined at 14. Well below average of 25.5 for those 3 months.

February is usually the frostiest month by a slim margin with 9.6. April has already eclipsed that. Pretty impressive for the time of year.

Yearly air frost average at Castlederg is 48. Source Met office climate data 1981-2010.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Castlederg has recorded 10 Air frosts this April already. Average is 4.4. Two more came close at 1c and another two at 2c. More than February and March combined which only had 8. January recorded 15. December had 6.

There could be another 3, maybe stretching it at 4 air frosts this week. 4 more air frosts this month will tie this Seasons total for December, February and March combined at 14. Well below average of 25.5 for those 3 months.

February is usually the frostiest month by a slim margin with 9.6. April has already eclipsed that. Pretty impressive for the time of year.

Yearly air frost average at Castlederg is 48. Source Met office climate data 1981-2010.

I've had 7 Air frosts so far in April and 15 ground frosts in Arklow
    Average temp has been 6.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

With all this dry weather now June will probably be a wash out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Bar a couple of days before Easter weekend and also last Thursday/Friday this month has just felt like an extension of winter around here. Dark, damp and cold most days.

Hopefully the coming few days will finally kickstart spring into gear

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

April been great here near Howth besides temperatures, which there definitely has been a chill at times. Lots of sunny and dry days to get out on walks. Sunrises especially have been so beautiful.

Does feel like we will greatly pay for this once again like last year though. Leaves me a bit apprehensive with regards to this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Oh we'll pay for it alright, usually by mid July you forget there exists a sun at all.
    Best to live in the moment and enjoy it now, was just on Dollymount and now in park, it feels like summer the sun is warm.

Average temp has been 6.4c

Which is very close to the national (RoI) average so far (6.6c)

For interest, Dublin Apt is the only station in the country that is coming in with a negative mean minima for the month so far, and a figure that is 1.0c or more cooler than its nearest neighbours of Casement and Dunsany, which are more inland thus more prone to lower mins. Many worthy arguments have been given on here before about the legitimacy of D.A readings, but something still does not smack right with me about its low min readings, but hey, who am I to question!

April (nationally) is running just over 1.0c below normal (for the 1st-19th) period. with maxima running close to normal (-0.4c) but minima running well below (-1.8c)

From Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Three days of overcast and wet conditions now. We nearly always seem to have these type of conditions before a settled spell. At least we'll have the warmest of the weather during the dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Sun has broken through in Letterkenny in the past couple of hours, hopefully that's the gloom blown away for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Still raining in the sunny south east.

Long term April data for Northern Ireland. However cool (or not) this April will finish up here it won't even make a dent on the clear upwards trend:

HQJ1MWq.png

Coldest April in this region was in 1922, when the finishing mean came in at a miserable 4.1c, which is closer to the average January temperature for the Province.

Data from the UK Met:
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/datasets/Tmean/date/Northern_Ireland.txt

New Moon

Three days of overcast and wet conditions now. We nearly always seem to have these type of conditions before a settled spell. At least we'll have the warmest of the weather during the dry spell.

UvC2nFK.png

New Moon

I would like to ask Tyrone if it knows of a site that gives us daily data from stations acrossNorthern Ireland? (I know of Ogimet, but the figures they show are not quality controlled as far as I am aware) as it would be great to include updated data for the North as well on an ongoing basis to compare and include with the rest of the island and to help us create a possible all round Ireland average.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Which is very close to the national (RoI) average so far (6.6c)

For interest, Dublin Apt is the only station in the country that is coming in with a negative mean minima for the month so far, and a figure that is 1.0c or more cooler than its nearest neighbours of Casement and Dunsany, which are more inland thus more prone to lower mins. Many worthy arguments have been given on here before about the legitimacy of D.A readings, but something still does not smack right with me about its low min readings, but hey, who am I to question!

April (nationally) is running just over 1.0c below normal (for the 1st-19th) period. with maxima running close to normal (-0.4c) but minima running well below (-1.8c)

From Met Eireann.

Dublin Airport is unusually cold at times - especially on cool, clear nights in spring and summer where the temperature just seems to drop like a stone after sunset.

I remember one night in March a few years ago the temp was 7º in Casement and 0º in Dublin Airport at about 11pm.

While some have argued that the station is in a perfect location, I can't figure out how a coastal station which is kept cool by the sea breeze during the day loses this effect and then often becomes the coldest station in the country at night.

DAs daily highs in good, settled weather are usually similar to Sherkin, Malin Head, Johnstown and Roches Point due to the sea breeze - but at night it's closer to Mt Dillion for overnight lows and several degrees colder than the other stations mentioned.

The station has been moved a few times over the decades so LTA comparisons are probably worthless but its current location certainly seems to be in the perfect for cool weather.

compsys wrote: »

I remember one night in March a few years ago the temp was 7º in Casement and 0º in Dublin Airport at about 11pm.

Yes, I recall not just this occurrence, but many other similar ones.

Just thinking, 'Marine Layer' would live in a similar region ( a couple of miles in from the east coast) with similar geography to Dublin Airport and I wonder, does he record similar unusual lows? Now, I can't claim to be familiar with the east coast all that well, but a region prone to extremes (with regards temp, high or low) I seriously doubt it to be.

New Moon

Still raining in the sunny south east.

Sunny all day in my part of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Is there frost promised for Midlands tonight? Cannot figure it out on met.ie

Advertisement