Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building upwards on existing utility at rear of house

• 19-04-2021 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hello,

I am considering on building upwards above a utility room on a two story house. I was of the understanding no planning is required if kept below the existing roof of the house as its to the rear. There is an existing shed 24 sq m and a garden/ open space 58sqm. Just wondering if anyone has experienced such and anything else I should consider...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a little more to it than that. Have a read at Question 5 (esp the answer) in this publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

Thank you very much for the information. I can only see part 5 that may be related. Although, I do not have an extension and am only building upward onto what is there. I have 13m to the boundary wall from the window of the upward buikd so okay in that respect. I can't see any problem other than speaking to a couple of neighbours...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

leinster93 wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the information. I can only see part 5 that may be related. Although, I do not have an extension and am only building upward onto what is there. I have 13m to the boundary wall from the window of the upward buikd so okay in that respect. I can't see any problem other than speaking to a couple of neighbours...

Sounds like you need planning.
    Would need significantly more info to make a decision or get someone to look and advise on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Is the house detached? Have you got neighbours either side? how close are they?

All the answers are really in the link provided but...
    Usually not practical if you are living in a typical semi-D with neighbours either side.

Thanks for your reply. The house is detached with neighbours back gardens running alongside the utility.
    The utility juts out on its own from the rear kitchen.
    The rear perimeter wall is 13m and footpath either side 1m.

It seems elegible to build up to just below the apex of the house based on the link...Still investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Be mindful of this
    any extension above ground floor level
    must be a distance of at least 2 metres
    from any party boundary;

And this
    for houses that are detached including
    where they have been extended previously,
    the floor area of any extension above
    ground level must not exceed 20 square
    metres, this includes any previous
    extensions constructed after 1st October
    1964;

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks for your reply. The house is detached with neighbours back gardens running alongside the utility.
    The utility juts out on its own from the rear kitchen.
    The rear perimeter wall is 13m and footpath either side 1m.

It seems elegible to build up to just below the apex of the house based on the link...Still investigating.

thats where you are caught... as above, any above ground floor extension needs to be min 2.0m away from a boundary in order to be exempt.

nothing at all stopping you from applying for permission though.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Can an objection be made for no reason and put an end to being able to extend upwards?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can an objection be made for no reason and put an end to being able to extend upwards?

If you lodge planning, the observation will be considered.
    It won’t automatically mean refusal.

• Advertisement

Okay. thanks. Was considering also if the shoe was on the other foot I suppose I'd be a bit unhappy as it would effet sunlight coming into the garden.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Okay. thanks. Was considering also if the shoe was on the other foot I suppose I'd be a bit unhappy as it would effet sunlight coming into the garden.

Sunlight is easy to measure and analyse.

If this is a single storey utility behind a two storey house, the new first floor area 'may' be insignificant from a sun / shadow point of view

Yes, thanks. It's a single story utility. I have one sensitive neighbour and it wouldnt effect them in the slightest. Will speak with them over the next few weeks. Definitely going to look for planning. Thanks all for the info and advice.

Advertisement