Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing part of Mortgage that's at higher rate

Options
  • 19-04-2021 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭

My Mortgage is mainly at a tracker rate below 1%. At some stage I topped up the mortgage and that part attracts a 4.3% rate of interest.

What I am wondering is, if say I have €100,000 at the tracker rate and €20,000 at 4.3% and I have €20,000 I can pay off as a lump sum, can I request the lump sum payment to be offset against the loan part at 4.3% or will it be applied on a pro rata basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

You should be able to specify. There's likely a different account/facility number associated with each. Your provider can provide the specifics on how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Yes you can pay off the full 20k at 4.30% once it's a variable rate, if it's fixed you may have a penalty to pay. Just contact your lender and quote your reference number for the top up only and ask for a redemption figure.

Advertisement