Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards' traveller problem

123457»

Comments

Annasopra wrote: »
    But in this thread and the other sexism thread basically a lot of posters have through various means tried to shut down the views of the people who opened the threads and those who agreed with them because they disapprove of those views.

That’s untrue. I was a part of the sexism thread. I made a one sentence post saying I wasn’t offended. Then I made a second post in reply to anewme explaining why. Look how she spoke about my reasoning after that. She was attempting to belittle me and others.

Did you miss all that?

Annasopra wrote: »
    But in this thread and the other sexism thread basically a lot of posters have through various means tried to shut down the views of the people who opened the threads and those who agreed with them because they disapprove of those views.

If "by various means" you mean disagreed with them, I would have to ask you to say so explicitly.

Because I saw little else if I'm honest.

Anything I saw that was stronger than that was for the most part a reaction against ever-more unreasonable behaviour by a minority of posters requesting in ever-more direct language that their views hold sway over everyone else, and that those responsible for the site respond to these increasingly entitled requests ASAP

Debating differing opinions is not "shutting down".

It's a discussion site, by its very nature it relies on different opinions. Otherwise every thread will just be an opening posts and thanks.

searching years old posts (while amusing/highlight hyprocrisy) is not debating different views either?

Like people slating the travellers admit to doing so based on personal experience,

all remains to be decided is if this would be acceptable to broadbrush other groupings,as ive had plenty of negative interactions with one group who enjoys much love-in and blind defence on here??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,278 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

searching years old posts (while amusing/highlight hyprocrisy) is not debating different views either?

Like people slating the travellers admit to doing so based on personal experience,

all remains to be decided is if this would be acceptable to broadbrush other groupings,as ive had plenty of negative interactions with one group who enjoys much love-in and blind defence on here??
    My posts were singled out from the house thread, there was an incorrect claim that I'd posted a derogatory comment after a RIP notice was posted on the thread. Then 2 further comments were used as evidence of me being racist, despite neither being traveller specific.

I have not posted inflammatory comments about travellers, but I sure as hell won't be accused of being a bigot or racist by someone who has.

My posts were singled out from the house thread, there was an incorrect claim that I'd posted a derogatory comment after a RIP notice was posted on the thread. Then 2 further comments were used as evidence of me being racist, despite neither being traveller specific.

I have not posted inflammatory comments about travellers, but I sure as hell won't be accused of being a bigot or racist by someone who has.

this hasnt in anyway addressed the post it quoted?

I can understand,why yous may feel annoyed/enraged about such accusations (have had some say same to me),

but surely feedback/examination should park emotions and deal on a merely factual level?

• Advertisement

this hasnt in anyway addressed the post it quoted?

It addressed the first part referencing me.

I don't know what group you're referring to in the latter part of your post so I'm unable to offer an opinion there.

I don't know what group you're referring to in the latter part of your post so I'm unable to offer an opinion there.

It shouldnt matter which group it is.....ive had negative interactions with them,this is used as a defence as regards posting about travellers

If i post similar sentiments about such group,i can say with relative certainty,il be banned and likely posts deleted...threads into this group regularly ban any critical posting

...deosnt seem fair to me

It shouldnt matter which group it is.....ive had negative interactions with them,this is used as a defence as regards posting about travellers

If i post similar sentiments about such group,i can say with relative certainty,il be banned and likely posts deleted.....deosnt seem fair to me

Without knowing the group I can neither agree nor disagree with you.

However, do you now have a negative opinion of that entire group based on your negative interactions with some members?

Without knowing the group I can neither agree nor disagree with you.

However, do you now have a negative opinion of that entire group based on your negative interactions with some members?

you dont have to agree with my view on this group

But am i free to post similar sentiments about his group,that is at times allowed as a free-for-all on travellers?

Ive had posts deleted for even mild critism of said group,either allow this all-out critism for all,or none. (Plus would like said posts re-instated,admittely yous cant do this)

you dont have to agree with my view on this group

But am i free to post similar sentiments about his group,that is at times allowed as a free-for-all on travellers?

Ive had posts deleted for even mild critism of said group,either allow this all-out critism for all,or none. (Plus would like said posts re-instated,admittely yous cant do this)

The agreeing or disagreeing wasn't about your view of the group, I was simply stating that unless I knew which group you were referring to I couldn't offer an opinion on what you might be allowed post.

You haven't answered my question - Do you dislike this entire group based on experiences with some members?

If you've had posts deleted you should clarify this with the mods. I haven't seen the posts, nor the mod actions, so I can't really comment any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If it was the first time that I had seen a request for updates on posts that I report then I'd say yep, that's feedback, and then when the Mod/CMod/Admin com back and say nope not gonna happen, it'd take too much time then I'd say to myself, fair enough, there was feedback and responses to that feedback.

But when its the gazillionth time it comes up then its more of a demand than feedback. That's not twisting. That's just plain ol' fact.

oh no it's still feedback.
    just feedback you disagree with and would take probably big changes to the forum software the site runs on to implement.
    you could likely implement a very basic system that simply says the report has been seen and no more but the time required by the development team may be a lot.
    but it is a suggestion that is going to come up from time to time like a number of others so it is a case that people will have to become used to it.
    ultimately feedback is feedback and suggestions are suggestions rather one agrees with them or not or whether they can in the end be implemented or not.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

The agreeing or disagreeing wasn't about your view of the group, I was simply stating that unless I knew which group you were referring to I couldn't offer an opinion on what you might be allowed post.

What difference deos it make,what the group is....either allow equal critism for all or for none
    You haven't answered my question - Do you dislike this entire group based on experiences with some members?

If you've had posts deleted you should clarify this with the mods. I haven't seen the posts, nor the mod actions, so I can't really comment any further.

I certainly would have nothing to do with this group and if a friend was going out with one of em,id drop.the friend....draw from.this your own conclusion

These posts were v.mild anylsis,the op of one of threads about this groups actions was edited to essentially say critical anylsis wasnt allowed on that thread.....seems simple enough to me,theres different rules and leeway allowed for different groups and this is essentially unfair no matter what way its painted or excused

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Folks, I am closing this thread for the moment until we've had a chance to catch up on it and all of the reported posts. Will post an update once that is all done. Thanks.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Admin:

I've been through this thread and it's a veritable train wreck rather than an actual discussion, that I won't be reopening. You all know the score at this stage - discussing specific events or examples is reasonable, if you can back them up and are willing to engage in civil discussion. Blanket statements and anecdotes are not, and are likely to bring mod attention upon you.

Anything after that in the thread is whataboutery, usually from the point of view of how-close-can-I-get-to the-line-without-going-over-it. The vast majority of posters have no problems working inside the hazy confines we set - and if you find you need to know exactly where that line might be, you should look at why this is so meaningful to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement