Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mokka or Clio hybrid?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of buying advice. My annual mileage is about 22K kilometres, mostly rural, but some motorway trips each month. I'm changing my car shortly (18-reg Astra diesel) and looking at the new Mokka, in auto petrol config as I'm not that keen on another diesel. Opel dealer will most likely give me a good trade in allowance on a pre-reg. I'm also looking at the Clio E-Tech hybrid. I reckon the cost to change will be €3K more on the Clio, maybe more not sure what a Renault dealer will think about taking my motor. Over 3 years ownership I've estimated the fuel cost to be €2400 more on the Mokka (assuming average 6.2l per 100km on Mokka, and 4.5l per 100km on Clio).
    I haven't considered depreciation on either. The Clio has a 5 year warranty and 8 years on the battery. I looked at the Toyota hybrids, but the CVT doesn't sound that much fun to drive and I'm sure the allowance for my Opel against a Toyota will be dire. I'm intrigued by the hybrid tech in the Clio. Is the Clio worth the additional investment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

I'm not a fan of Opel (sorry) so personally if I had this choice I'd be going for the Clio, which are a very smart looking car.
    In fairness the new Mokka, while not my cup of tea, does look decent for what it is.
    How long are your regular trips? I'm guessing not too long and not into diesel territory?
    You seem to have a clear head on what you need and have done a bit of research, so I'd just say go for the one that you like the most.
    Good call on the cvt, I had a loan of a CHR hybrid and altho it handles well I hated that gearbox, couldnt live with the noise of it.
    The Mokka has a height advantage over the clio, that might be something that you would favour, lots do otherwise suv's wouldnt be so popular!
    See what kind of trade in the clio is coming in at and let that guide you.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm not a fan of Opel (sorry) so personally if I had this choice I'd be going for the Clio, which are a very smart looking car.
    In fairness the new Mokka, while not my cup of tea, does look decent for what it is.
    How long are your regular trips? I'm guessing not too long and not into diesel territory?
    You seem to have a clear head on what you need and have done a bit of research, so I'd just say go for the one that you like the most.
    Good call on the cvt, I had a loan of a CHR hybrid and altho it handles well I hated that gearbox, couldnt live with the noise of it.
    The Mokka has a height advantage over the clio, that might be something that you would favour, lots do otherwise suv's wouldnt be so popular!
    See what kind of trade in the clio is coming in at and let that guide you.
    Good luck.

Thanks...yes Opel is not a forum favourite alright and I understand why. Work commute is 100km round trip, but not every day so its borderline diesel I suppose. I've made a few enquiries on the Clio and will see what the numbers look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Darwin wrote: »
    Thanks...yes Opel is not a forum favourite alright and I understand why. Work commute is 100km round trip, but not every day so its borderline diesel I suppose. I've made a few enquiries on the Clio and will see what the numbers look like.

Yeah, you've an awkward choice there. Dont envy you. The diesel would deffo make a difference on those commutes. As someone who bought a diesel last July and now kind of regrets it thanks to always worrying about dpf and egr ****e, and going out of my way to extend journeys at the moment for precautionary reasons, I'd say if you are in any doubt, stay with the petrol or hybrid options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

in laws 141 mokka just in for a recall last week (something with brake pedal getting stuck when the cabin gets hot)

doesnt inspire confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The new is just a reskinned Peugeot 2008, so shares nothing with the old Mokka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭MarkN

Mokka is a bit bigger than a Clio as a vehicle. The sound insulation in the new Mokka is fantastic, if you're doing motorway driving, might be a factor to consider.

Thanks, good point. I'm getting a test drive in the Clio at the end of the week and then a drive in the Mokka after. I've already found two cases of French Clio owners whose hybrid has given gearbox problems already, so not a great start for such a new car.

Wait till you read up on the PSA 1.2 Puretech engine that’s in the Mokka hybrid.

Yes I know it has a "wet" timing belt, and it has disintegrated in some cases, there was a recall last year to try and sort out the issue.
    I've read they plan to revert to a timing chain for all 2022 builds. Meanwhile all is not well either in Clio land, these are the two reports I found:

https://www.automobile-propre.com/voitures/renault-clio-hybride/avis/

and other reports on German forums of gearbox problems with the Captur Hybrid (same system). Beginning to think a 2020 Toyota CH-R is a safer bet all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

DO NOT BUY A NEW CLIO HYBRID.

I'm a very big Renault apologist but there has been a huge variety of major issues with the Clio Hybrid. I know of 2 which were rejected by long term Renault Club members with less than 200 miles on the clock.

For now, I'd consider other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

Small enough annual mileage. Why not consider full electric?

Zoe with 52 kWh battery will do 300 km on a charge that costs 3 euro on night rate at home and same size as a Clio

I did consider electric (I would have bought an e-corsa as my Opel dealer has several on offer), but it's not for me at this current point in time.

€30k is a lot for a Corsa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Your not comparing like with like here. Mokka is larger and a class above the Clio so it’s going to cost more

Don't think you read my initial post fully, Clio in hybrid spec costs more than the new Mokka petrol. At any rate, ruling out the Clio as it has a lot of new unproven tech which might turn out to be a big headache. Going to look at a Puma instead and see how that fares price wise against the Mokka.

Advertisement