Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two die in Tesla car crash in Texas with ‘no one’ in driver’s seat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Look at the video, its a wonder they know even if the car was occupied at all

The article says they were found in the passenger and rear seats.
    After the fire was extinguished, authorities located two passengers, with one in the front passenger seat while the other was in the back seat of the Tesla, the report said, citing Harris County Precinct 4 police officer Mark Herman.

They wouldn't have videoed that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Darwin at work, no sympathy here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Do they have to defeat the seat sensor to trick it into thinking is sat in the driver seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,242 ✭✭✭✭fits

“ It took firefighters four hours and 30,000 gallons of water to put out fire after crash”

Oh my.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

fits wrote: »
    “ It took firefighters four hours and 30,000 gallons of water to put out fire after crash”

Oh my.

Wouldn't of been a fire if they had those Chinese LiPo4 cells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Umanzor said the two crash victims were born in 1962 and 1951.
    Unlikely to be Youtubers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭innrain

liamog wrote: »
    Do they have to defeat the seat sensor to trick it into thinking is sat in the driver seat?
    And the seat belt sensor and the driving wheel sensor.
    But I'd say this is not different from tricking any ACC which some say it may increase the risks as people drive faster believing is safer https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-autonomous-safety-idUSKBN2B32NH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

fits wrote: »

Oh my.

Are you supposed to use water on a battery fire?

[Edit] Seems so.
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2016_Model_S_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

The relevant fire department have clarified the situation, the fire was extinguished within 3 minutes. What subsequently happened was an extended period of dousing the vehicle to ensure the battery pack cooled down and would not recombust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭innrain

So all just a hype because a Tesla is involved
    It appears that they've done this on purpose defeating all safety measures. Could have been any modern ACC
    Nobody that I red mentioned this https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport?redirect=no in their coverage which I think is relevant in this situations if you want to have a balanced act.
    In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.19 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.05 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 978 thousand miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.

Now the fact that they have this data is a bit ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Musk says data logs they have recovered indicates autopilot was not engaged and that it would not be possible to engage it on the road the vehicle was traveling on as it had no lane lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

basill wrote: »
    Musk says data logs they have recovered indicates autopilot was not engaged and that it would not be possible to engage it on the road the vehicle was traveling on as it had no lane lines.

Musk is full of sh1t.

AP auto disengages a fraction of a second before a crash so technically he isn't lying.

As for lane lines being required there are lots of videos on twitter of it working without lane lines, apparently it can think kerbs are lane lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The article says they were found in t
    he passenger and rear seats....

Is it possible the crash impact moved the people around

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

beauf wrote: »
    Is it possible the crash impact moved the people around

Possibly, will we know for sure? I guess only when a full report is done.

I know this could be done in any car with cruise control and the such but would they have if there wasn't such a huge hype over FSD in Tesla's specifically, however this is speculation on my part?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Mr.David wrote: »
    As for lane lines being required there are lots of videos on twitter of it working without lane lines, apparently it can think kerbs are lane lines?

Or if the road transitions from being marked/having lines, to unmarked, my Model 3 will remain in autopilot for some considerable time, kilometres in fact, given the right circumstances.
    It's actually entertaining at times, in real time, watching the car move around & pick its way along an unmarked road.

I've also had my Model 3 run waaaaay wide on a turn on a marked road, finally only disabling autopilot when I manually took control. At that point, it was a good metre onto the wrong side of the road :eek:.

Obviously, nothing coming in those scenarios & I was deliberately waiting to see what the car would do, so 100% safe (I'm a pedant for safety :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

In case I'm accused of trolling again - Tesla's system is great on the motorway/dual carriageways etc., but it's a long way from being fully autonomous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seemly the fire was extinguished in 3 mins according to the FD.

Edit - I see that info was posted already.

Advertisement