Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s wrong with flat pedals on a road bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Seeing as one of the rules is no saddle bags it’s pretty clear that nobody takes it seriously, or at least nobody should. I think there’s another one about what’s the correct way to how lounge on bike when not cycling it ! :-)

I think you’re right that there’s always one or two who don’t get that it’s a joke. But it’s not just in cycling that you have those people. I don’t play golf but I guess it’s the same attitude that drives dress codes etc in golf clubs. Again 99% of people don’t care but those that do want to impose the arbitrary rules on everyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus wrote: »
    Like, even though they overstate the fact, they're based around the idea that people out cycling bikes genuinely think like that.
    i always took it as a light hearted bit of self parody about how seriously cyclists sometimes take themselves/ourselves.
    so in that sense, it could be seen either way i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Still not sure you wouldn't get slagged to feck if you turned up for a spin in a current World Tour jersey. You definitely wouldn't if you turned up for a game of 5 a side in a current English Premier League jersey. There's one potentially massive revenue stream cut off from pro-teams, whilst we all bemoan how unsustainable the cycling model is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one reason i wouldn't wear a jersey from a pro team is that in the main, they're gack (says he who doesn't keep in any way abreast of what the pro teams are currently wearing)

That's not really the point. If we had a striker banging in the goals for United, we'd have no problem wearing the jersey. Sam banging in the wins for DQS, and no one would rock up with a DQS jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That's not really the point. If we had a striker banging in the goals for United, we'd have no problem wearing the jersey. Sam banging in the wins for DQS, and no one would rock up with a DQS jersey.

I actually passed somebody in a DQS jersey yesterday. I read on another forum that one reason people don't like replica jerseys is if they see somebody out in team gear they want to think they just saw XXX cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

one reason i wouldn't wear a jersey from a pro team is that in the main, they're gack (says he who doesn't keep in any way abreast of what the pro teams are currently wearing)

Some of the kits in the womens peloton this year have been class, trying to influence my club designer by sending on photos but no dice so far.

On the same note, I would happily wear the Palace/Rapha/EF jersey if it wasn't so stupidly expensive but I accept it looks rubbish. I think looking rubbish is an incentive to do better when on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I bought a few of them on AliExpress cause they were cheap. I have no idea about who the pro teams are. Just needed some cheap cycling gear.

I’m probably the one some/all of ye laugh at going down the road. Lol.

One has Triple Karmaliet as the sponsor. I love that beer so I bought that jersey. They could top or bottom or not even a team for all I know.

Current pro jerseys are something I wouldn't wear but each to their own.

I do have a Liquigas jersey and a Kas one which has had a couple of complements from passing cyclists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Would be nice to buy in such a way as to support the sport. Most of my gear is DHB, Galibier and a few boards bits. Wouldn't mind splashing out on a bit of colour. I do like the idea of some nice vintage stuff.

• Advertisement

My first actual paid for jersey as an adult was a Cofidis one, I did not look pro but I feel it represented my riding style well. People recognised me quickly but I never achieved anything of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    Seeing as one of the rules is no saddle bags it’s pretty clear that nobody takes it seriously

I was thinking this was one of the rules that is generally observed pretty well.

Saddlebags have no place on a road bike. You wear a jersey or a jacket with pockets so you can strip that hideous eyesore off your frame and tuck the essential components away out of sight :pac:

Tube, mini-pump, and maybe patches if you want to push it - nothing else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

See...

I'm as much a hypocrite, in that I don't buy current jerseys, but I have a sizeable collection of retro pro team jerseys that I wear pretty much exclusively outside of races/ events. I have witnessed someone getting grief for a retro jersey that had rainbow bands on it, so even then...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Green is Growing

The only reason I don't like most jerseys is I don't like being a advertisement billboard on wheels.

MojoMaker wrote: »

Tube, mini-pump, and maybe patches if you want to push it - nothing else :)

Pump is attached to frame and tubes are in top tube bag. The saddle bag is for battery pack and charging lead in case phone dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sweet Jesus :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    .... I remember one guy calling for us all to have matching socks to go on club spins, and to this day I still think he meant it.
    Proper order - wearing odd socks is just attention seeking behaviour.
    ... I don’t play golf but I guess it’s the same attitude that drives dress codes etc in golf clubs. Again 99% of people don’t care but those that do want to impose the arbitrary rules on everyone else.
    I don't golf either but I'd draw the line at playing with someone who thinks it's acceptable to do so in jeans/tracksuit/hoodie etc. The vast majority of golfers that I know (including several that cycle) are totally in favour of a dress code on the course/clubhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think you’re right that there’s always one or two who don’t get that it’s a joke. But it’s not just in cycling that you have those people. I don’t play golf but I guess it’s the same attitude that drives dress codes etc in golf clubs. Again 99% of people don’t care but those that do want to impose the arbitrary rules on everyone else.

I play golf and a few years ago at my club a fella turned up one day in cords which isn't that bad but some auld lad called him out on it. Ever since then this guy wears the most outrageous(but "regulation") trousers. I think it's great and love some of the trousers he has but don't think I'd be that bold. Dress codes are mostly stupid but I would draw the line at jeans and football jerseys

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Saddlebags have no place on a road bike. You wear a jersey or a jacket with pockets so you can strip that hideous eyesore off your frame and tuck the essential components away out of sight
    That's great, until you crash and the hard stuff in the pack pockets does you damage (as the scar from the seven stiches in my pack indicate).

• Advertisement

That's great, until you crash and the hard stuff in the pack pockets does you damage (as the scar from the seven stiches in my pack indicate).

Was out for a spin today and saw a guy with no saddlebag but his jersey pockets were stuffed to the gills. Looked like he was wearing a batman utility belt :-) Didn’t look very suave to me.

On the golf thing I don’t really get the dress code. Seems I might be wrong on my assumption that most golfers don’t care. I wonder would jeans and a rugby jersey be more acceptable than jeans and a soccer or gaa jersey?

I don't golf either but I'd draw the line at playing with someone who thinks it's acceptable to do so in jeans/tracksuit/hoodie etc. The vast majority of golfers that I know (including several that cycle) are totally in favour of a dress code on the course/clubhouse.
    On the golf thing I don’t really get the dress code. Seems I might be wrong on my assumption that most golfers don’t care. I wonder would jeans and a rugby jersey be more acceptable than jeans and a soccer or gaa jersey?

As someone who golfs rarely, I don't agree with the regulations but much like cycling, try to do it in the wrong kit and you will know about it by the end of the day. A friend of mine does get some class looking golf kit though that would put the most flamboyant cycling gear to shame and I am immensely jealous. The only thing I have official is a set of clubs from a departed friend and a pair of shoes I bought that are bright orange and super comfortable, everything else is free kit that my partners company hand out at their promo events. Which nearly all of doubles up as winter cycling or walking commuter layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why though, it's just tradition. It's a sport where you walk around at a sedate pace. Whatever about cycling having some mostly ignored "rules", the arcane regulations and dress codes etc are one of the reasons golf is struggling to attract new members.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Proper order - wearing odd socks is just attention seeking behaviour.

:eek:
    Some of us just don't pair our socks.
    My life is too short. I haven't paired socks since 1999.
    Odd socks ftw!
    Sometimes I grab a pair, it's always a weird day when that happens :D

I also have long sock paired with short trainer sock days. It causes some people physical pain the way they go on about it :D

was it just me who read Cram's post as yer man wanted everyone to match socks *with each other*?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

was it just me who read Cram's post as yer man wanted everyone to match socks *with each other*?

Nope, that was my assumption too. I think we're actually right, and other posters are just having a laugh with the wording of the post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cletus wrote: »
    ...I think we're actually right, and other posters are just having a laugh with the wording of the post
    Yes, of course. I just couldn't resist the temptation to have a go at the annoying odd sock attention seeking brigade.

Apologies for the confusion, he had wanted everyone in the group to wear club socks, and was quite serious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

CramCycle wrote: »
    Funny thing is some people take them very seriously. I read an interview with the guy who maintains the website (someone linked from this forum). He actually came across quite well, it is all a bit of fun seemed to be his view on it.

I read and enjoyed the book. If anyone takes the rules seriously I won't take them (the person) seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you don't like those rules, here are the "Euro" rules.
    You can choose which set to ignore.
    https://eurocyclist.wordpress.com/about/

Advertisement